Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37

Thread: Venezuelan Crisis

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,410

    Default Re: Venezuelan Crisis

    No one care to mention that a motorcyclist was decapatated (according to cnn) yesterday by the peace-loving 'opposition' .... The police have met fire with fire, literally. These gucchi wearing protesters have access to a lot of money and a lot of weapons.

    Though the long-term strategy is quite clear. The US along with other thinktanks, one headed by ex-Colombian president Uribe (who should be up for war-crimes the scum) have been funnelling money into venezuela and their strategy is to create economic chaos in order to justify the protests, which will include many false-flag operations in order to force the gov. into responding in kind. There have been loads of documented cases (not by CNN or BBC) of clandestine warehouses discovered with stockpiles of foodstuffs and other basic consumer items all around the country. Loads. Scarcity is one way of putting it but there are many other adjectives to describe it. The idea is that although the oligarchs lose out in the short term with poor economic performance, they will benefit hugely in the long term with regime change. Simple.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...
    Posts
    13,555

    Default Re: Venezuelan Crisis

    Quote Originally Posted by Ogiol View Post
    No one care to mention that a motorcyclist was decapatated (according to cnn) yesterday by the peace-loving 'opposition' .... The police have met fire with fire, literally. These gucchi wearing protesters have access to a lot of money and a lot of weapons.

    Though the long-term strategy is quite clear. The US along with other thinktanks, one headed by ex-Colombian president Uribe (who should be up for war-crimes the scum) have been funnelling money into venezuela and their strategy is to create economic chaos in order to justify the protests, which will include many false-flag operations in order to force the gov. into responding in kind. There have been loads of documented cases (not by CNN or BBC) of clandestine warehouses discovered with stockpiles of foodstuffs and other basic consumer items all around the country. Loads. Scarcity is one way of putting it but there are many other adjectives to describe it. The idea is that although the oligarchs lose out in the short term with poor economic performance, they will benefit hugely in the long term with regime change. Simple.
    Spotted that in the RT article, most of the protestors were middle class students
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in the national interest
    Posts
    17,676

    Default Re: Venezuelan Crisis


  4. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    4,894

    Default Re: Venezuelan Crisis

    Interesting few weeks and months ahead...
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: Venezuelan Crisis

    Amazing comeback for the 'Chavista' PSUV in regional elections yesterday to 54% of a good turnout claimed https://venezuelanalysis.com/news/13441

    The IMF are said to have claimed the country's GDP will have shrunk 35% by the end of the year (the fall in the price of oil has very badly impacted it) so people must be seeing this as a sort of war/emergency situation ? Polls had shown the PSUV and allies at only around 20% . Anyhow it is good that Venezuelans have gotten off the fence to stop the corrupt neo-liberal opposition even if the PSUV has been somehow corrupted itself
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tion-elections

    The site that has been associated with the internal Chavista opposition does not seem unhappy judging by my very bad Spanish https://www.aporrea.org/
    Especially in this article https://www.aporrea.org/actualidad/a253750.html
    Last edited by GregTimo; 16-10-2017 at 09:58 AM.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: Venezuelan Crisis

    Analysises as to why would be welcome. My own reading is the anti-corruption campaign might have helped swing back the old support.
    https://venezuelanalysis.com/news/13413

    Along with the talked about introduction of progressive taxation to replace the flat rate income tax. Information on such bread and butter stuff is hard to find lost in the hot air bubble of competing rhetoric. There is no equiv to the our Unemployment Assistance(dole) I could find (Latin America does not have this tradition sadly outside Argentina and Uruguay AFAIK), just the big projects that sound like CE schemes . Small wonder that many were fence sitting with little to fall back on in the local equiv of the world depression .


    And even more significant no doubt('Record Breaking Social Spending'): 'For the first time, domestic tax is projected to provide the bulk of government revenue and will finance 83 percent of the total 2017 budget, said the head of state. ' Some of that would have been lost in the inflation but it is good to see it paying off
    https://venezuelanalysis.com/news/12724
    Last edited by GregTimo; 16-10-2017 at 11:57 AM.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: Venezuelan Crisis

    Bananas, even if there was an element of distortion due to the moving of polling stations to poorer area to discourage better off Opposition supporters from voting this was straight out of the US right's book of tricks and big deal in the bigger scheme . So Venezuela might be finally moving towards old style social democracy, better crush it quick , eh ? https://venezuelanalysis.com/news/13448

    Margin of victory was 800,000 and only 700,000 affected claimed here so Chavism would have won anyway
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venezu...lections,_2017
    Last edited by GregTimo; 20-10-2017 at 08:40 PM.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wash DC
    Posts
    7,653

    Default Re: Venezuelan Crisis

    Quote Originally Posted by GregTimo View Post
    Bananas, even if there was an element of distortion due to the moving of polling stations to poorer area to discourage better off Opposition supporters from voting this was straight out of the US right's book of tricks and big deal in the bigger scheme . So Venezuela might be finally moving towards old style social democracy, better crush it quick , eh ? https://venezuelanalysis.com/news/13448

    Margin of victory was 800,000 and only 700,000 affected claimed here so Chavism would have won anyway
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venezu...lections,_2017
    Not at all clear to me what you are trying to imply here.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: Venezuelan Crisis

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Not at all clear to me what you are trying to imply here.
    There was a lot of hype from ideologues around '21st century socialism' which did not even have an unemployment assistance(what we Irish call dole for short) AFAIK and a 'revolution' based mostly on the way oil revenue was spent . Better than previous, but Left oil-rentierism might have been a better description . The fall in the price of oil led to near disaster and has forced Chavism to work harder to get the support of many who were abstaining in seeming disgust to depression (getting poorer is not nice), in creating a proper system of income tax etc . Still quite a mess no doubt, but I congratulate them on their efforts . Of course neo-liberalism does not want anything that might become a working alternative
    Last edited by GregTimo; 21-10-2017 at 06:08 PM.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wash DC
    Posts
    7,653

    Default Re: Venezuelan Crisis

    The venezuelananalyis piece you linked didn't mention the US so I was confused.
    AFAIK the US, unlike other countries, (Canada, Japan) has so far, made no comment on the results of the elections, and the US right do not have a monopoly on neoliberalism.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: Venezuelan Crisis

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    The venezuelananalyis piece you linked didn't mention the US so I was confused.
    AFAIK the US, unlike other countries, (Canada, Japan) has so far, made no comment on the results of the elections, and the US right do not have a monopoly on neoliberalism.
    Seeing that even Sweden now has a lower corporate tax than the USA (and we may be soon saying especailly Sweden when it come to depressing stuff unless their extreme right is slowed down), that hardly needs saying. Neo-liberalism now afflicts the globe . Too depressing to go into now in detail, but it started in Chile in 1973

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wash DC
    Posts
    7,653

    Default Re: Venezuelan Crisis

    Quote Originally Posted by GregTimo View Post
    Seeing that even Sweden now has a lower corporate tax than the USA (and we may be soon saying especailly Sweden when it come to depressing stuff unless their extreme right is slowed down), that hardly needs saying. Neo-liberalism now afflicts the globe . Too depressing to go into now in detail, but it started in Chile in 1973
    Sweden isn't mentioned here, but it wouldn't be hard to have a lower corporate tax rate than the US. It has the 4th highest in the world, while Ireland has the 16th lowest.


    https://taxfoundation.org/corporate-...he-world-2017/
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wash DC
    Posts
    7,653

    Default Re: Venezuelan Crisis

    A comparison of unpopular leaders, below 50% in their home countries. Trump is a superstar compared to Maduro.......

    The world's most unpopular leaders
    Eurasia Group Media's Signal newsletter; Poll data from: EuroNews, CNN, YouGov, Pew Research Center, Reuters, IOL, Reuters
    Alexander Kliment and Leon Levy of Eurasia Group Media's Signal newsletter spotlight the most unpopular leaders of the world's large countries.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    253

    Default Re: Venezuelan Crisis

    1stly polls in Venezuela are wildly off . 2ndly it has long been known that Maduro is a long way off Chavez in the popularity stakes and hearsay has it that he was played down in the regional elections . Maduro tries hard, maybe too hard?

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wash DC
    Posts
    7,653

    Default Re: Venezuelan Crisis

    Quote Originally Posted by GregTimo View Post
    1stly polls in Venezuela are wildly off . 2ndly it has long been known that Maduro is a long way off Chavez in the popularity stakes and hearsay has it that he was played down in the regional elections . Maduro tries hard, maybe too hard?
    Do they overstate or understate, everything, or just some things?
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us