Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Laptop turns itself off and on.

Default Re: Laptop turns itself off and on.

Yeah ... it should be. Also CPU-Z would also give a result if you had a spare laptop to check the RAM
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

I think your RAM is 1.5v
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Thanks matey. I'll have a close look at that shortly. Like tomorrow or whenever.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    Hard disk drives failure is the most common problem with laptops. Easy solution: replace it with a solid state drive. Insanely fast and no moving parts. A Samsung EVO 840 120GB costs around 90 yoyos these days. A no-brainer...
    +1
    Have two of these in raid, pretty much best bang for buck.

@OP
    Can you replicate the error? I mean is there any way you can cause it to fail? Like maybe running a few processor heavy programs?

A few have suggested that it's the power cord or the battery but I don't think so: if it was the power cord that was sporadically losing voltage/contact then the battery, even an old one, will kick in. So I don't think it's the battery or power cord.

I have a feeling its a heating issue causing the processor to shut down; lots of potential reasons for this (thermal paste, loose heatsink, faulty fans).

Remedy: Google how to disassemble your machine, read it.
    Discharge yourself, ie touch radiator.
    Then open that baby up. Check ram is seated proberly. Check for loose components on motherboard. Check for a build up of dust on fans that might be interfering with its operation.

Next Locate processor, remove fans/heatsink. Before you do anything further, look at the processor, is the thermal compound on it burnt, or cracked? if it is you may have your culprit. Clean off the sticky metallic thermal paste with a solvent (carefully), reapply new thermal compound (Arctic Silver), reattach heatsink/fans etc., fire up.

Also someone mentioned upthread that you might change the fan settings to a lower threshold - it's a good idea, try that first if you're wary about opening it up. If you can't find the fan controller in your bios there are plenty of programs about that enable you to control the fans manually.

Good luck
    In case this all goes pear-shaped, I'll bid you adieu

Quote Originally Posted by musashi View Post
    Can you replicate the error? I mean is there any way you can cause it to fail? Like maybe running a few processor heavy programs?

I left it turned on a few days ago with one of the trippy Win7 screensavers kicking in after 1 minute. When I returned to it a few hours later the screensaver was still running. I'd set Windows to require a log-on password so I know it had stayed on for the duration of a few hours. I've nothing more processor intensive installed.

I'm in two minds as to whether I'll pull it apart at the minute. I'm not frightened of doing so; I've no thermal paste here for a start. As I mentioned earlier I have a laptop of my own that needs to go to the hardware doc' so I may as well let him/her give an opinion on it.
    I'm not worried that they'll charge me if they have to disassemble it to fully diagnose the problem because one way or the other I'd like to get it working again. It's too new to break for parts.
    Thanks very much for your advice nontheless.

Andrew, I had another search through the BIOS settings and there's nothing relating to RAM variable settings. You're correct in stating that the replacement Kingston RAM is 1.5 volt. It's marked on the chip. The Elpida RAM that was in it doesn't appear to have a voltage rating on it.

We'll see what the doc' reckons when I get around to paying him a visit. He has a surgery just down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

I left it turned on a few days ago with one of the trippy Win7 screensavers kicking in after 1 minute. When I returned to it a few hours later the screensaver was still running. I'd set Windows to require a log-on password so I know it had stayed on for the duration of a few hours. I've nothing more processor intensive installed.

I'm in two minds as to whether I'll pull it apart at the minute. I'm not frightened of doing so; I've no thermal paste here for a start. As I mentioned earlier I have a laptop of my own that needs to go to the hardware doc' so I may as well let him/her give an opinion on it.
    I'm not worried that they'll charge me if they have to disassemble it to fully diagnose the problem because one way or the other I'd like to get it working again. It's too new to break for parts.
    Thanks very much for your advice nontheless.

Andrew, I had another search through the BIOS settings and there's nothing relating to RAM variable settings. You're correct in stating that the replacement Kingston RAM is 1.5 volt. It's marked on the chip. The Elpida RAM that was in it doesn't appear to have a voltage rating on it.

We'll see what the doc' reckons when I get around to paying him a visit. He has a surgery just down the road.
    Elpida RAM is likely to be 1.5v .... which probably rules out the new RAM!

I'd still repeat then that the fault is more to do with the dropping of the laptop than anything else!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123