Thread: Economic Treason - Time for a new law

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Default Economic Treason - Time for a new law

In 2010 the Green party suggested that a bill be introduced for economic treason. Consquently the legislation would have been zigged before it was zagged, an unruly mess as half of those they were in govt with could be done under it I reckon. . With Anglo being prosecuted under company law and illegal loans to directors, a more robust set of laws are needed to prevent an occurence of this again and a new law relating to economic treason be brought in. In scope it can be defined as a person whom knowingly benefits from a financial transaction which would see the economic infrastructure of a country be undermined be dealt punishable by up to twenty years in prison. Im unaware of any similar law in any other country. The current laws on treason are making war on the Irish state or aiding people who are waging war . Company law only targets specific degrees of irregularities on a smaller level, this new legislation would allow for it to be taken on a wider scope i.e. nationally.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Default Re: Economic Treason - Time for a new law

Bump
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Yes, economic treason would be a good law, first to gaol will be the "dole scrounger" then "unmarried mother" the "Black economy builder" soon the courts will have a backlog and the bankers and tax defaulters and offshore account holders will just have to wait until the courts get around to them and their endless appeals which they can well afford !

There are no laws in place that I can find that would be similar to the one Im proposing.

I dunno Fluffy. The Greens can't really be described as a group of thinkers, unless one is comparing them to doorknobs.

This economic treason is a dilution of a concept, treason. As such it would rapidly reveal itself to be unworkable and illogical (it being a fraction of an idea). If I buy tobacco from a dodgy source, I'm looking at 20 years. Sure, we could change things. We could say it's only economic treason if I make €10,000 disappear from the economy. So, if I do thousands of transactions involving €9,999.99 each time, over the course of my life, I'm not a traitor.

What about boycotting? How long before that's equated with economic treason?

Article 39

Treason shall consist only in levying war against the State, or assisting any State or person or inciting or conspiring with any person to levy war against the State, or attempting by force of arms or other violent means to overthrow the organs of government established by this Constitution, or taking part or being concerned in or inciting or conspiring with any person to make or to take part or be concerned in any such attempt.
    Remove one word from the above and you fix things. "Violent."

This does not suggest that certain parties have not committed treason. What has been done was very violent and traumatic.

We don't need more laws. We need enforcement of the ones we've got against those who traditionally ignore and transgress them. It would seem that the whole of the justice system is designed and in practice, it can be seen, to facilitate these alleged elites.

Equality is what's required.

Quote Originally Posted by Seán Ryan View Post
    I dunno Fluffy. The Greens can't really be described as a group of thinkers, unless one is comparing them to doorknobs.

This economic treason is a dilution of a concept, treason. As such it would rapidly reveal itself to be unworkable and illogical (it being a fraction of an idea). If I buy tobacco from a dodgy source, I'm looking at 20 years. Sure, we could change things. We could say it's only economic treason if I make €10,000 disappear from the economy. So, if I do thousands of transactions involving €9,999.99 each time, over the course of my life, I'm not a traitor.

What about boycotting? How long before that's equated with economic treason?

Remove one word from the above and you fix things. "Violent."

This does not suggest that certain parties have not committed treason. What has been done was very violent and traumatic.

We don't need more laws. We need enforcement of the ones we've got against those who traditionally ignore and transgress them. It would seem that the whole of the justice system is designed and in practice, it can be seen, to facilitate these alleged elites.

Equality is what's required.
    Thanks for that response and a comprehensive one too! If we were to change it as you said is that not leaving it too ambigious? I would be worried that such an open interpretation would give carte blanche to the government then to clamp down on those who oppose it should they prove nefarious enough. But yes we do need to do more to enforce our laws as they currently stand. Look at those getting off in the courts...

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    Thanks for that response and a comprehensive one too! If we were to change it as you said is that not leaving it too ambigious? I would be worried that such an open interpretation would give carte blanche to the government then to clamp down on those who oppose it should they prove nefarious enough. But yes we do need to do more to enforce our laws as they currently stand. Look at those getting off in the courts...
    That's the thing. I have treason in my heart at all times. If I had the power to burn Leinster House to the ground, I'd exercise that power. But I don't have that power. Hence the government clamp down.

Over the last half decade or so, we've seen a sizeable increase in the number of folks who'd have no problem with the burning of Leinster House. If prison sentences were added to the offence of treason, we'd have seen lots of prosecutions already and I'd warrant that the state would have fallen already.

We're quite content to live our delusion of democracy. Pointing to treason shatters the delusion for all. We love our delusion. It's a survival mechanism, like any other faith based beliefs.

Interesting times...

Quote Originally Posted by Seán Ryan View Post
    That's the thing. I have treason in my heart at all times. If I had the power to burn Leinster House to the ground, I'd exercise that power. But I don't have that power. Hence the government clamp down.

Over the last half decade or so, we've seen a sizeable increase in the number of folks who'd have no problem with the burning of Leinster House. If prison sentences were added to the offence of treason, we'd have seen lots of prosecutions already and I'd warrant that the state would have fallen already.

We're quite content to live our delusion of democracy. Pointing to treason shatters the delusion for all. We love our delusion. It's a survival mechanism, like any other faith based beliefs.

Interesting times...
    Very interesting times ahead.