Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Vaping"

Default Re: "Vaping"

Quote Originally Posted by riposte View Post
    I neither Vap nor smoke...... but I'm worried about the fact that we are already subjected to in excess of 5 Million Laws, rules, byelaws and other regulations.
    Riposte you've been around a little longer than I have - do you not think the reduction in smoking and exposure of people to second hand smoke is a good thing? The laws around smoking, advertising, campaigns against it have been central to that shift. Your point could be used against any and every proposed change in the law no matter how essential or urgent the change may be.

Two stories with opposite implications.

A sign that vaping is going mainstream.

CVS- (Convenience Value Service- it is anything but). One of three groups with 7,000 - 11,000 stores. Will take a $2B hit. After years of urging by healthcare advocates. Pressure will now increase on the other chains.

CVS to stop selling tobacco products

Sarah Kliff 7:43 AM ET
    The major pharmacy chain says it will stop selling tobacco products in its 7,600 locations across the U.S., and public health advocates hope other large drug store franchises will follow suit.

As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Inside the strange world of e-cigarette modding.
    "E-cigarettes are fascinating technological objects. Blow past the big names like NJoy and Tru and you’ll discover that e-cigarettes have spawned a 'vaping' subculture. The movement revolves around electronic devices that deliver nicotine but otherwise hardly resemble cigarettes at all.
    Devoted users tweak existing e-cigs endlessly. They fiddle with atomizers to control the release of custom-blended juices. They adjust the heated coils to deliver cleaner nicotine 'hits' or maximum clouds of vapor (a practice sometimes called 'fogging'). And in some cases they go pro and produce gorgeous limited-edition objects that sell for hundreds of dollars.
    E-cig 'modders' congregate online or at vape-store meetups, showing off their latest 'builds,' like hackers or hot-rod enthusiasts. But this is more than a geeky sideshow to the larger public health debate. These e-cig hackers may just influence how the emerging gadgets are thought of by politicians and policymakers in America."
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

British American Tobacco (BAT) on Monday heralded its foray into the lucrative e-cigarette market with a TV, press and poster campaign for Vype, its electronic substitute for smoking. Over the next few months the advert is slated to appear more than 300 times in the breaks between shows as diverse as Brit Cops: Zero Tolerance, Mock The Week, and even 24 Hours in A&E.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...v-9134568.html

Some good news;

ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES ARE now banned from all DART and train services.

Irish Rail said they made the decision after a number of complaints from passengers.

The policy was introduced last month.

http://www.thejournal.ie/e-cigarette...55640-Mar2014/

I can't say I agree with you on this Saoirse. The anti-tobacco lobby has been very successful and the world is a better place for it. However, when something turns into a moral crusade (what exactly were the passengers on the DART complaining about? simulated smoking?) I wonder. I hate to see young people smoking, and perhaps the ecigarette would make me uneasy too in the hands of a young person. The only people I know who use them are older smokers trying very hard to stay off the dreaded fags.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    I can't say I agree with you on this Saoirse. The anti-tobacco lobby has been very successful and the world is a better place for it. However, when something turns into a moral crusade (what exactly were the passengers on the DART complaining about? simulated smoking?) I wonder. I hate to see young people smoking, and perhaps the ecigarette would make me uneasy too in the hands of a young person. The only people I know who use them are older smokers trying very hard to stay off the dreaded fags.
    No doubt they complained about the amounts of vapour/smoke containing god knows what which "vaping" produces. Why should any passenger have to have the air they breath on a bus or train contaminated?

Why can't they use smoking areas like others?
    Last edited by Saoirse go Deo; 11-03-2014 at 05:29 PM.

L.A. City Council Unanimously Bans Vaping In Public Places

As expected, the Los Angeles City Council today voted unanimously to ban vaping everywhere that smoking is banned, including indoor workplaces and outdoor locations such as parks, beaches, and restaurant patios.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsul...public-places/

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post

Sure whats next cursing?
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    Sure whats next cursing?
    No doubt they complained about the amounts of vapour/smoke containing god knows what which "vaping" produces. Why should any passenger have to have the air they breath on a bus or train contaminated? (not to mention the smell - albeit not as strong as regular cigarettes)

Why should it be treated any different than smoking? "Vape" away to your hearts content in smoking areas where it won't bother others.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

No doubt they complained about the amounts of vapour/smoke containing god knows what which "vaping" produces. Why should any passenger have to have the air they breath on a bus or train contaminated? (not to mention the smell - albeit not as strong as regular cigarettes)

Why should it be treated any different than smoking? "Vape" away to your hearts content in smoking areas where it won't bother others.
    Im just putting my tongue in cheek....
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

No doubt they complained about the amounts of vapour/smoke containing god knows what which "vaping" produces. Why should any passenger have to have the air they breath on a bus or train contaminated?

Why can't they use smoking areas like others?
    I agree with you, Saoirse. I couldn't say anything on this thread earlier, as I hadn't come across vaping face to face. There is a nasty chemical smell from them and I definitely don't want this stuff in my lungs.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Probably only a matter of time before national regs.

European Union Approves Tough Rules on Electronic Cigarettes

The European Parliament on Wednesday approved rules that will for the first time regulate Europe's fast-growing market for electronic cigarettes.

E-Cigarettes, by Other Names, Lure Young and Worry Experts By MATT RICHTEL

Products virtually identical to e-cigarettes are known by names like e-hookahs or vaping pens, thwarting efforts by health officials to track their use, especially among young people.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Probably only a matter of time before national regs.

European Union Approves Tough Rules on Electronic Cigarettes

The European Parliament on Wednesday approved rules that will for the first time regulate Europe's fast-growing market for electronic cigarettes.

E-Cigarettes, by Other Names, Lure Young and Worry Experts By MATT RICHTEL

Products virtually identical to e-cigarettes are known by names like e-hookahs or vaping pens, thwarting efforts by health officials to track their use, especially among young people.
    I'd imagine so

THE HEALTH SERVICE Executive (HSE) is to examine if it’s possible to ban e-cigarettes from all their hospitals and campuses by the end of this year.

Under the HSE’s Tobacco Free Campus Policy, its already planned that smoking by employees, service users, visitors and any other parties will be prohibited within all HSE campuses by 2015.

A spokesperson for the executive confirmed that e-cigarettes are not yet part of this official policy but the executive will be looking at how to include the products in the rules.

Any further legislative change would be driven by the Department of Health according to HSE.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/e-cigarette...90057-Mar2014/

Riposte you've been around a little longer than I have - do you not think the reduction in smoking and exposure of people to second hand smoke is a good thing? The laws around smoking, advertising, campaigns against it have been central to that shift. Your point could be used against any and every proposed change in the law no matter how essential or urgent the change may be.
    When those who govern us ensure that all have jobs, homes, health and education ........ that will be time enough to poke around with these other trivialities.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast