Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Vaping"

Default "Vaping"

"Vaping" is smoking an electronic cigarette which contains some kind of flavored liquid infused with nicotine which - aside from making you look foolish sucking on something which resembles a gimmick lighter the like of which you are pestered to buy when enjoying a meal on holidays in Spain - satisfies the addiction suffered by smokers.

You can get all kinds of "flavors": strawberry, chocolate, orange, banana, pretty much anything. There has been some debate over the safety of e cigarettes, proponents say they are much healthier than normal cigarettes and critics say that there is a lack of testing, industry standards and regulation of the "liquids" people "smoke". Children can currently buy these (hence the sweet flavors?) but the government plans to introduce an age limit so that only over eighteens can buy them.

My concern however is that fact that people are allowed "vape" pretty much anywhere, as e-cigs are not subject to the smoking ban. Aside from annoying others with potentially dangerous "fumes" by vaping in places where smoking is not allowed the increasing prevalence of vaping (advertising especially) has the potential to undermine the healthy stigma smoking has been attracting in recent years and could potentially encourage people who have never smoked to begin "vaping" or to opt for the real thing. Proponents often talk about vaping critics pushing the agenda of "big tobacco" - but surely, if it is not the case already, big tobacco companies will diversify into this growing market?

As well as introducing the age requirement the govt should extend the smoking ban to cover e-cigs and strictly regulate the sale and advertising of such products.

Do any of you "vape"?

Default Re: "Vaping"

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    "Vaping" is smoking an electronic cigarette which contains some kind of flavored liquid infused with nicotine which - aside from making you look foolish sucking on something which resembles a gimmick lighter the like of which you are pestered to buy when enjoying a meal on holidays in Spain - satisfies the addiction suffered by smokers.

You can get all kinds of "flavors": strawberry, chocolate, orange, banana, pretty much anything. There has been some debate over the safety of e cigarettes, proponents say they are much healthier than normal cigarettes and critics say that there is a lack of testing, industry standards and regulation of the "liquids" people "smoke". Children can currently buy these (hence the sweet flavors?) but the government plans to introduce an age limit so that only over eighteens can buy them.

My concern however is that fact that people are allowed "vape" pretty much anywhere, as e-cigs are not subject to the smoking ban. Aside from annoying others with potentially dangerous "fumes" by vaping in places where smoking is not allowed the increasing prevalence of vaping (advertising especially) has the potential to undermine the healthy stigma smoking has been attracting in recent years and could potentially encourage people who have never smoked to begin "vaping" or to opt for the real thing. Proponents often talk about vaping critics pushing the agenda of "big tobacco" - but surely, if it is not the case already, big tobacco companies will diversify into this growing market?

As well as introducing the age requirement the govt should extend the smoking ban to cover e-cigs and strictly regulate the sale and advertising of such products.

Do any of you "vape"?
    Never even saw one. Interesting question. I certainly would disagree with children being given mood altering substances. Do they have fumes that affect other people ? If not, it would be hard to argue against their use.

The idea of inhaling pretty well untested cocktails does not seem sensible, all the same.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Never even saw one. Interesting question. I certainly would disagree with children being given mood altering substances. Do they have fumes that affect other people ? If not, it would be hard to argue against their use.

The idea of inhaling pretty well untested cocktails does not seem sensible, all the same.
    Well there is a visible vapour, I think what happens is that the e-cig heats and changes the liquid into vapour which you then inhale and exhale - presumably anything that goes in also comes out in "second hand smoke". Even if it is safety tested and the fears about the chemicals used in the liquid are allayed I don't want, and shouldn't have to tolerate, my surroundings at work, public places etc being contaminated with nicotine - a harmful, very addictive substance.

I don't mind people smoking or vaping (I think it is extremely foolish and should be discouraged) as long as it is nowhere near me. As well as e-cigs not being subject to the smoking ban, I am very concerned about the rules regarding their advertising - they should be subject to the same rules as cigarettes, they are not an aid to ending addiction - but some ads don't even make that claim and instead are advertised the same way as cigarettes were years ago - i.e they are cool/attractive - and by implication so are the "real thing".

Here is an add which played on British TV:

I think it was pulled because of the sexual nature of it - it is the fact that it glamorizes smoking which concerns me, rather than any prudish aversion to ads like this
    Last edited by Saoirse go Deo; 01-02-2014 at 11:54 PM.

In the absence of Federal Regs several US cities NYC, Chicago etc have introduced restrictions similar to those placed on regular cigs. Banned indoors, no sale to minors etc.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    In the absence of Federal Regs several US cities NYC, Chicago etc have introduced restrictions similar to those placed on regular cigs. Banned indoors, no sale to minors etc.
    Are they popular in the U.S? There are not too many people using them here but I reckon it is only a matter of time before their popularity explodes, especially if they do not become subject to the smoking ban.

Are they popular in the U.S? There are not too many people using them here but I reckon it is only a matter of time before their popularity explodes, especially if they do not become subject to the smoking ban.
    Don't really know if they are more or less popular in the US than the EU. Not sure where they originated. Believe they were originally marketed (rightly or wrongly) as an easier way (stepping stone) to wean off cigs entirely. Not sure, but think they may have become a sort of fashion statement among a segment of young people. A year or two back someone older showed up at my community association monthly meeting using them indoors, and stating there was no concern of second hand smoke issues, (untrue), and the following month a ban was announced.

This wiki suggests that a higher percentage (20 v. 12%) of smokers in the US have tried them compared to the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette

As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Do any of you "vape"?
    I dont vape but on occassion I have been known to enjoy a shisha and a coffee in Dublin. They are lit with apple or pear tobacco and then passed around. Frankly I think some of your posts are becoming a bit on the side of puritanism in some terms. Not that I have a problem with that as we both want a sensible society but the harsher the attitude of society to a particular topic the more society is going to embrace it.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    I dont vape but on occassion I have been known to enjoy a shisha and a coffee in Dublin. They are lit with apple or pear tobacco and then passed around. Frankly I think some of your posts are becoming a bit on the side of puritanism in some terms. Not that I have a problem with that as we both want a sensible society but the harsher the attitude of society to a particular topic the more society is going to embrace it.
    Have I said anything which isn't true? Some people don't like the truth being pointed out because it makes them question their own lives. How am I puritanical? Because I think alcohol is abused in Ireland to an alarming degree and smoking is bad for people and should be combated at every step?

BTW the WHO says that smoking shisha for an hour or so is the equivalent of smoking between 100 and 200 cigarettes.

The only way that these problems can be combated is by a change in societies attitude, the attitude towards smoking has greatly changed in recent years. In 1998 around 32% of people smoked, now it is about 22%. But the attitudes smokers have about lighting up and society has about smoking have greatly changed, nowadays it is widely viewed as a negative and something people shouldn't do. This shift was not achieved via softly softly tactics like the Irish govt currently have towards drink, but by hard hitting campaigns and addiction services. I mean half of people who smoke will die due to a smoking related ailment. The other half will no doubt have their health suffer due to smoking. I cannot understand why young people smoke when they know this. While the fatalities directly caused by drink every year is less (below 2000 compared to 9000 plus for smoking) drink does huge damage to society, moreso than tobacco imo, and it is obvious that the softly softly "drink responsibly" approach has not worked even slightly.

I think it is high time the govt adopt a new approach to alcohol, similar to the one they have towards smoking. (this won't happen though)
    Last edited by Saoirse go Deo; 02-02-2014 at 11:11 PM.

I am taking you task over your views as they are more reminiscent of the local parish priest standing at the altar roaring to his flock about the dangers of pre marital sex.You will find no disagreement from me that there is a problem but its the approach we need. The government will never bother its hole to tackle the drink industry, imagine how much tax they get and that aside how many TD's own a bar? Id hazard a guess and say a few do and to boot remember the long nights they have spent in the Dail bar. The idea is to

-Educate

Equip people with the tools they need to know about the dangers of smoking/vaping

-Medium Regulation

Introduce new legislation that is tougher like drunk people getting into a crush, people drinking so much they drown.

-Hospitals
    Charge people a large admissions charge to hospitals , saw a €1000 so they will know next time and the money put towards hiring staff in accident and emergencies the hardest hit

-Alternaitves

Encourage the cafe culture and legalise cannabis (this will no doubt result in you typing a lengthy frantic post as to the evils of it)

Again as I said we both agree on the end point but how we get there is where we differ.

BTW Im well aware of the issues on shisha

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_stat...ustry/hookahs/
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    I am taking you task over your views as they are more reminiscent of the local parish priest standing at the altar roaring to his flock about the dangers of pre marital sex.You will find no disagreement from me that there is a problem but its the approach we need. The government will never bother its hole to tackle the drink industry, imagine how much tax they get and that aside how many TD's own a bar? Id hazard a guess and say a few do and to boot remember the long nights they have spent in the Dail bar. The idea is to

-Educate

Equip people with the tools they need to know about the dangers of smoking/vaping

-Medium Regulation

Introduce new legislation that is tougher like drunk people getting into a crush, people drinking so much they drown.

-Hospitals
    Charge people a large admissions charge to hospitals , saw a €1000 so they will know next time and the money put towards hiring staff in accident and emergencies the hardest hit

-Alternaitves

Encourage the cafe culture and legalise cannabis (this will no doubt result in you typing a lengthy frantic post as to the evils of it)

Again as I said we both agree on the end point but how we get there is where we differ.

BTW Im well aware of the issues on shisha

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_stat...ustry/hookahs/
    This doesn't even make sense. If you are going to spew rubbish then there is no point in talking to you. Perhaps you could address my points rather than go off on a tangent comparing me to a priest and by implication trying to dismiss what I say as religious nonsense.

Charging people a grand to go to hospital is a silly idea, it will just result in more deaths as people won't go.

Thanks, for that, very interesting.

This doesn't even make sense. If you are going to spew rubbish then there is no point in talking to you. Perhaps you could address my points rather than go off on a tangent comparing me to a priest and by implication trying to dismiss what I say as religious nonsense.

Charging people a grand to go to hospital is a silly idea, it will just result in more deaths as people won't go.

Im addressing your points by providing an alternaitve.

You are standing on a pulpit though lecturing, you are not going to change anything with your attitude, its preachy...there was no insinuation meant by me as it being religious (I know you are not that religious ffs!) but Im saying its you coming across as lecturing like Ian Paisley

Im giving ideas as a deterrent and providing alternatives, you have consistently spoke about the evils of alcohol and smoking etc. We get the idea they are evil, Im trying to be practical rather than talking down to people about the evils of said products which we know.

Thanks to paddyjoe for highlighting this in another thread:

Separately, Rossport Pharmaceutical is to create 138 new posts at its e-cigarette assembly plant in the Gaeltacht area of Cornamona, close to the Galway-Mayo border.

E-cigarettes, which are battery powered and contain a cartridge filled with nicotine that has been dissolved in water, are not subject currently to the same regulatory controls as cigarettes.

The new jobs are supported by the regional authority Údarás na Gaeltachta.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/s...lans-1.1677589

Can anyone explain what the bold bit means? I am tempted to jump to a conclusion.

It is understood that the positions will be created at a new production facility in Corr na Móna in Connemara - Full details of the investment are to be announced on Monday.

The company will begin recruiting immediately and will offer opportunities in marketing, R&D, production, and pharmaceutical roles.

An investment of €5.2m in the Galway facility will be supported by Údaras na Gaeltachta.
    http://www.careersportal.ie/news/new...2#.UvEXM0CME2M

I neither Vap nor smoke...... but I'm worried about the fact that we are already subjected to in excess of 5 Million Laws, rules, byelaws and other regulations.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast