Thread: Politics to Be Added to the Irish School Curriculum

Default Politics to Be Added to the Irish School Curriculum

Ruairi Quinn has said that "Politics and Society" will be added to the Second Level curriculum.

http://www.herald.ie/news/politics-t...-29965199.html

Any suggestions for topics or themes that should be covered ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: Politics to Be Added to the Irish School Curriculum

The State, The Individual and Civil Society

"There are more fascists in the Irish Labour Party than in the British National Front." ...... discuss.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

I'd be very interested in knowing which authors will be chosen to submit the study material, and by whom.

Given the obvious revisionism my age group endured in Irish History classes in particular, I'd also be curious as what actually constitutes factual or accurate material on Irish politics. Most of it's open to interpretation, depending on your point of view. For example, the material we were offered on the Civil War in Ireland was so brief that you'd have missed it if you sneezed. Like it never happened at all.

The teaching of Irish politics and Irish political history is wide open to distortion.

Great care should be applied in deciding on how the material is presented.

Which is why it will go to the professionals: curriculum and syllabus boards, the NCCA, the Teachers' Council, teacher education departments in the universities, experts in Politics and Sociology.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    Which is why it will go to the professionals: curriculum and syllabus boards, the NCCA, the Teachers' Council, teacher education departments in the universities, experts in Politics and Sociology.
    The link in the OP refers to political education in the Leaving Certificate syllabus.

Given the general ignorance of large swathes of modern Irish youth regarding most subjects from history to geography, the sciences to mathematics, not to mention basic issues such as spelling and literacy, you'll forgive me if I have my doubts about the abilities of these professionals you refer to, whatever their respective fields.