Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anglo Irish Bank criminal trial begins 4th February

Default Anglo Irish Bank criminal trial begins 4th February

Popcorn, drinks and comfortable chairs at the ready.
    Next month’s trial of former Anglo Irish chairman Seán FitzPatrick and executives Pat Whelan and William McAteer is to be held before Judge Martin Nolan in the biggest courtroom in the Criminal Courts of Justice complex, Court 19.While the public will be admitted to the main courtroom, a large portion of the available space will be taken up by assigned seating for the legal teams and the media.
    The trial is expected to last up to six months which would make it the longest criminal trial in Irish history. It will contain vast amounts of evidence. Dublin Circuit Criminal Court has previously heard that the case involves 24 million documents, including about 800 witness statements.
    The evidence will be organised during the trial using a computer system. Documents will be displayed on screens throughout the court while jurors will be given laptops so they can view the relevant documents electronically rather than hauling around dozens of bulky folders.
    The authorities have also had to devise new ways of empanelling a jury.An amendment last year to the 1976 Juries Act means that an enlarged jury of 15 people can now be empanelled for lengthy trials. Although only 12 jurors will retire to deliberate on a verdict, three substitutes will be present throughout the trial should a juror be unable to continue.
    In advance of the trial, which is due to start on February 4th, 1,500 jury summons were sent out in the expectation that 500 people will show up. Over the course of a day, this number will be whittled down to the 15 jurors who will hear the case.
    Mr FitzPatrick (64), Mr McAteer (62) and Mr Whelan (50) have been charged with 16 counts of providing unlawful financial assistance to individuals in July 2008 to buy
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime...rial-1.1667015

Default Re: Anglo Irish Bank criminal trial begins 4th February

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    Popcorn, drinks and comfortable chairs at the ready.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime...rial-1.1667015
    Yeps, and so the gravy train begins to roll yet again as the legal vultures circle above the carcass of Anglo Irish Bank. This trial will safely secure the fees for the university educations of the next generation of connected families throughout the country. Not to mention green fees, tennis club memberships, rare wines, fast cars, exotic foods, foreign travel, country estates, etc, etc.

There's no such thing as a crisis in Ireland.

Everything turns to gold for the select few.

Surely this trial couldn't be running concurrently with the Oireachtas Banking Inquiry.
    Thomas Jefferson : Banking Establishments are More Dangerous to our Liberties than Standing Armies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mowl View Post
    Yeps, and so the gravy train begins to roll yet again as the legal vultures circle above the carcass of Anglo Irish Bank. This trial will safely secure the fees for the university educations of the next generation of connected families throughout the country. Not to mention green fees, tennis club memberships, rare wines, fast cars, exotic foods, foreign travel, country estates, etc, etc.

There's no such thing as a crisis in Ireland.

Everything turns to gold for the select few.
    Not disputing the claims you make concerning the legal profession but would you prefer no trial all? Surely a flawed system is better than no system? I think you'll find that the problems you complain of are present to a greater or lesser degree in most countries.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Not disputing the claims you make concerning the legal profession but would you prefer no trial all?
    That depends on the nature of the trial. Do I have trust and faith that the farcical Irish judicial system and all it's many legal hangers-on will expedite the ex-Anglo senior staff and the charges against them in an honest, impartial, just, and fair manner - considering the scale of damage done to the country through their actions? No. Not even for a moment. No-one in Ireland with even half a brain in their head expects anything approaching a fair or honest outcome. Particularly not when Justice Martin Nolan is at the helm.

This trial will be, in my opinion, as corrupt as the actions which caused it in the first place.

The only guaranteed result that can be predicted is that this trial will be one long, drawn-out affair which only further enriches the professional fees and retirement pensions of the connected legal elite.

Surely a flawed system is better than no system?
    Is it? The legal profession in Ireland are amongst the the most parasitic and untrustworthy I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. Nolan's reputation is horrific. Recent decisions in a variety of other recent cases have seen his name dragged through the media with many calls all across the country for his resignation over questionable decisions regarding violent rapists of 'good family background' merely fined for their crimes and released back into society. His handling of the case of Paul Begley and his avoidance of the garlic importation duty requires no further discussion here.

I think you'll find that the problems you complain of are present to a greater or lesser degree in most countries.
    I see no point or purpose in comparing ourselves to other more or less corrupt locations.

Particularly when the ex-Garda turned judge at the helm carries a reputation such as these random few links suggest:

http://theheelersdiaries.blogspot.fi...-ccksckrs.html
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-28820779.html
    http://prochoiceireland.tumblr.com/p...e-martin-nolan
    http://www.thejournal.ie/2000-signat...78460-Nov2013/
    http://theclotheslineie.wordpress.co...two-daughters/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-old-lady.html
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/tag/judge-martin-nolan/

This seems an appropriate thread to post this:

Interview from late 2007 with Sean FitzPatrick on the One to One show, full of unintentional humour now, I just found last night having been looking for ages for it. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicht Besonders View Post

Interview from late 2007 with Sean FitzPatrick on the One to One show, full of unintentional humour now, I just found last night having been looking for ages for it. Enjoy.
    Ta for posting. Plenty of smug self satisfaction on display there. Yep, full of irony now.

did I hear that right?

1500 jury summons were sent, 350 turned up.

You would have thought they were hotter than Garth Brooks tickets

Thanks very much, Nicht Besonders.

http://www.politicalworld.org/showth...e#.UuvtLiGceCc

Posts 7-8 give context. When that interview was given, Anglo Irish was living on "short term fixes" (Anglo Tapes) and had already had ECB bailouts.

There were a quarter of a million empty houses and falling rents.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Thanks very much, Nicht Besonders.

http://www.politicalworld.org/showth...e#.UuvtLiGceCc

Posts 7-8 give context. When that interview was given, Anglo Irish was living on "short term fixes" (Anglo Tapes) and had already had ECB bailouts.

There were a quarter of a million empty houses and falling rents.
    Thanks, interesting reading.

One thing that stood out for me watching the interview last night is how often that dreaded word "entrepreneur" and its offshoots crop up, because there seemed to be so little that was enterprising about what these guys were doing, besides shoveling money out to chancers to buy land and build on it.

Is this what the talking heads mean entrepreneurship? Where are the great Irish businesses of the Celtic Tiger? Are there any?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FIVE View Post
    did I hear that right?

1500 jury summons were sent, 350 turned up.

You would have thought they were hotter than Garth Brooks tickets
    500 - 700 or more could have emigrated
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Thanks, interesting reading.

One thing that stood out for me watching the interview last night is how often that dreaded word "entrepreneur" and its offshoots crop up, because there seemed to be so little that was enterprising about what these guys were doing, besides shoveling money out to chancers to buy land and build on it.

Is this what the talking heads mean entrepreneurship? Where are the great Irish businesses of the Celtic Tiger? Are there any?
    No chance of local investment in industry when development and wedding planner businesses were raking it in.

Young Irish guys (some under 18 ) headed off to Silicon Valley with their ideas.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

That is just class. It must be preserved as an historic document to be referenced in studies hundreds of years from now. Seanie's place in history is secure
    Thanks for digging that up Nicht Besonders.
    Your between games says Aine......yes I'm definitely between games says Seanie. Monty Python eat yer heart out.

They pled not guilty today. It will be interesting to see, if they are convicted, whether punitive garlic Judge Nolan or sympathetic violent sex assault Judge Nolan will be on duty on the day of sentencing.

Jurors have been warned against the internet and against having any prior feelings about Anglo Irish.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

For some reason I can't seem to shift this uncomfortable feeling that the RTÉ documentary about Portlaoise hospital and dead babies fiasco was a perfectly timed sideshow scheduled to distract from what should really be the main headline of the week: the beginning of the trial of the Anglo Irish boys.

I say this with all due sensitivity towards the bereaved parents concerned, and have no wish to diminish their obviously considerable suffering.

The announcement on the Six/One news regarding the jury selection and commencement of trial came in as the third or fourth article on the news, with just a brief couple of minutes allocated to it.

Also the fact that the jury were selected and sworn in on the Friday of the week is rather convenient for the newspapers in avoiding any glaring headlines. That said, I'm sure the Sunday papers will offer some degree of coverage. Nonetheless, this is a major national issue. I don't feel it's being handled squarely by the media.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast