Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Local Elections-May-23rd - General News and Chat

Default Local Elections-May-23rd - General News and Chat

Just starting this thread as an all purpose sticky thread for the local elections. Candidates are welcome to set up their own threads, and constituency threads are also welcome.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: Local Elections-May-23rd - General News and Chat

Kenny Egan to announce his decision on Monday, apparently.
    n an incredible turn of events, Fianna Fail made a counter offer to Mr Egan in a bid to undercut their main political rivals. The 32-year-old sportsman is now due to formally announce his decision at a press conference on Monday.OFFERS
    He told the Herald that his expected signing with Fine Gael is no longer a "done deal" and that he is now considering offers from both parties.
    A decision to run for Fianna Fail would be seen as a major snub to Taoiseach Enda Kenny, who last week lauded the prospect of recruiting the reformed alcoholic.
    "One more thing needs to be done before I say yes to
    http://www.herald.ie/news/gloves-off...-29989280.html

There's yer man.....

I wonder do others think as i do, the Anti-austerity Alliance could do pretty well in these elections, so far they have announced about 40 candidates, I would like to see Diarmuid O Flynn(E.U candidate)stand for Cork County Council (can he do both ?) My only concern with some of the candidates is they have only recently got involved in the political arena and may be beaten down by the more experienced politico's, and if elected they may be thrown into something they do not fully understand. Anti-austerity is all well and good, but council is a lot more than making statements. Do/will they have the organizational back-up to help them on, I hope so, as being a public rep involves losing the life/privacy that you may have previously enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by yi25 View Post
    I wonder do others think as i do, the Anti-austerity Alliance could do pretty well in these elections, so far they have announced about 40 candidates, I would like to see Diarmuid O Flynn(E.U candidate)stand for Cork County Council (can he do both ?) My only concern with some of the candidates is they have only recently got involved in the political arena and may be beaten down by the more experienced politico's, and if elected they may be thrown into something they do not fully understand. Anti-austerity is all well and good, but council is a lot more than making statements. Do/will they have the organizational back-up to help them on, I hope so, as being a public rep involves losing the life/privacy that you may have previously enjoyed.
    If the Vincent Browne debate is anything to go by, Fine Gael, Labour and Fianna Fail will take a pasting.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Maidir Le: Re: Local Elections-May-23rd - General News and Chat

Local elections 2014 point of observation,, earlier tonight I seen and observed a FG councillor knocking on doors canvassing on my street,, I decided to observe from my window the reaction he was getting at the doors not one person ran him from the doors in actual fact he was at most doors a good while for over 10 minutes most people actually shook hands with him, when he went to canvass some of the neighbours next door, I opened my window slightly to listen in on the what issues might be raised with him,, have a guess what was an main issue raised ? not homes taxes or water charges but people on social welfare long term to quote the next door neighbour (there is people on social welfare that barely ever worked getting the full rate while I work full time and can only afford to go out a few times a year) all I can say is people are angry over the wrong issues and have short memories over who is really taking money out of their weekly pockets,,

Just a thought. Considering that there are many people from different places here hows about letting each other know how everyones county councils will work out.

Ill go. Donegal. 49 seats, looks like FG will still have a plurality of seats, but it's gonna be a fairly even split between FG FF SF and Independents. No labour councillors. Around 13 seats each I'd say, maybe FG with 17-20, FF 15ish SF with 11-13 Independents with the rest... That may well end up with a anti-FG coalition, though whether FF will form part of that is unknown.

Clones Town Councillor Yvonne Newell has resigned from Fine Gael over the er, abortion vote eight months ago

I'm in the Carrigaline/Ballincollig area, lot of controversy here about Carrig being split in two by the last gerrymander, possibility of up to 5 cllrs representing that town alone. I'd expect SF to finally gain a seat here. Labour could lose their long held seat with Desmond pulling out as the other new candidates are relatively unknown. McGrath will probably hold his position although I think he may have a lot of work to do with his Carrig base being cut in half, and Martin foisted an unknown here...lot of backs up over that move as the McGraths are popular, Martin is probably running scared of them.Deidre Forde and Derry Canty will most likely walk in for FG who they drag with them is anyone's guess...my own crystal ball says

10 seats...

FF 3
    FG 3
    SF 1
    ind 2
    Lab...maybe!!! or else FG 4

Surfaced a couple of days ago but the IT is catching up...

Fine Gael has disassociated itself from the comments of two of its Dublin election candidates following the distribution of apparently anti-Traveller literature.Traveller support organisations say they are “appalled” and “devastated” by the tone of a leaflet distributed around the Newcastle area of west Dublin by Cllr Emer Higgins last week.
    Ms Higgins, a member of South Dublin County Council, told residents she was “delighted to announce” proposed Traveller accommodation would not now proceed. Her comments come weeks after those in election literature from Fine Gael election candidate for Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, Josepha Madigan, who described plans to build Traveller accommodation in the Mount Anville area as a “dreadful waste of taxpayers’ money”.

Units unfinished

Ms Higgins’s comments come on foot of a decision by the council not to proceed with the purchase of 10 partially built dwellings that were to be a Traveller group housing scheme. On the fringes of the Newcastle Lyons housing estate, they were to comprise one of six new Traveller developments promised in South Dublin County Council’s current Traveller Accommodation Programme (TAP). The programme was passed by councillors, including Ms Higgins, in a vote in January.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/socia...IfLAME.twitter

Just a quick point on electoral quotas
    The figure (quota) used in calculating the candidates’ success in their bid to sit in Municipal, National and European representative bodies is the “Droop Quota”.

This is so-called because it was first suggested by H.R. Droop in 1869.

It is the smallest number of votes that suffices to elect enough candidates to fill all the seats being contested while being just big enough to prevent any more being elected.

The Droop Quota is expressed in the following formula:

Quota = (No. of Valid Votes + 1) / (No. of Seats + 1)

Any candidate who receives a number of votes equal to or greater than the quota is deemed to be elected. It a candidate receives more that the quota, the surplus votes are transferred proportionately to the remaining candidates. Counting continues until all the seats have been filled.

I’ve just started a new thread on the Castleknock Local Electoral Area, in Fingal ‘County’ Council in Dublin. I was going to add it here but I went on a bit, as I do.
    Sss-hh. Don’t mention the lack of sovereignty in the Irish state.
    The acknowledgement of the 1916 Rising by the Establishment and its nauseating, craven lackeys is simply a political convenience devoid of any real meaning!

This private poll is knocking around fb if any of you are interested in doing it or seeing the results so far.

http://poll.pollcode.com/82916421
    Sss-hh. Don’t mention the lack of sovereignty in the Irish state.
    The acknowledgement of the 1916 Rising by the Establishment and its nauseating, craven lackeys is simply a political convenience devoid of any real meaning!

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Lot of leaflets coming out with no printer info on them as to who printed them. This is in clear violation of legislation. One particular party is guilty ...
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

An honest candidate!

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast