Thread: Afrikaans living in squatter camps

Default Afrikaans living in squatter camps

Reported years ago by Reuters, conditions for Afrikaans continues to deteriorate. Afrikaans poor white squatter camps are mushrooming in Gauteng today. South African reporter Sunette Bridges who took these photos said this camp is in Krugersdorp but there are now many 'colonies' of some 300,000 poor Afrikaners in Gauteng. The largest concentration is located West of Pretoria - and then there's also Genadeplaas and two more at Kameeldrift on the Moloto Road. Similar camp sites also are located in all the other provinces of South Africa around the cities where they once lived and which they had built. South Africa has some 3.5million Afrikaans. The latest estimate is that at least 1 million who are totally destitute and without any hope of finding any food-aid from the ANC-regime, from the International Red Cross nor from the UN Food-Aid agencies.

White poverty is a silent poverty in the new South Africa.
    http://www.zeppers.nl/nl/filmnl/arme...we-zuid-afrika
    Last edited by Holly; 16-01-2014 at 01:47 AM.

Default Re: Afrikaans living in squatter camps

There have always been poor Afrikaaners and the numbers of "informally housed" blacks were found in the last census to be over 1.5 million as against 8,000 whites.

That statistic appears to be based on a John Simpson report which is comprehensively trashed here.

http://africacheck.org/reports/do-40...-answer-is-no/

The South African economy has stayed in the grip of the old guard pretty much, and has been done over from the first day of the non-Apartheid governments by the IMF and the World Bank.

It would be interesting to see if any one of the families shown in the photos had wage earners sacked and replaced by a black person, as suggested. I would be surprised.

There has certainly been an increase in black and white poverty since 2008, as is the case in all but a few emerging economies.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    There have always been poor Afrikaaners and the numbers of "informally housed" blacks were found in the last census to be over 1.5 million as against 8,000 whites.
    My post was to draw attention to the increasing "silent poverty" of Afrikaans in ANC South Africa. That there were always some poor Afrikaans families does not explain the increasing numbers of squatter camps which you euphemistically term informal housing. My post was not about the poverty of blacks under the ANC regime.

That statistic appears to be based on a John Simpson report which is comprehensively trashed here.

You must be referring to the estimate that there is "at least 1 million who are totally destitute". I never mentioned, nor have I seen John Simpson's exposé of Afrikaans poverty. I did mention that it was little reported and i cited Reuters from 2010 since when it has been swept under the carpet. Indeed, John Simpson seems to be underestimating the scale of Afrikaans poverty when he reported, “One ugly secret in the new South Africa is white poverty,” and that ”At least 200,000 whites live in squatter camps like this today.” The statistic has to be an estimate because the ANC government prefers not to collect such data and guesses have to be made by private citizens. The article which you believe trashes the BBC report was unable to verify any number of poor Afrikaans. This does not dispute the Simpson report. Unlike yourself, C. Flower, I place no confidence in the self-serving census South African government survey. The ANC do not want the truth to be told. The Reuters report I relied was written in 2010 by Finbarr O'Reilly of the Sri Lanka Sunday Times International Edition:
    http://www.sundaytimes.lk/100328/Int...al/int_17.html
    You will find the estimate of a million poverty-stricken Afrikaaners on the Censorbugbear site:
    http://www.censorbugbear.org/refugee...l-over-gauteng

The South African economy has stayed in the grip of the old guard pretty much, and has been done over from the first day of the non-Apartheid governments by the IMF and the World Bank.
    This is the ANC line.

... There has certainly been an increase in black and white poverty since 2008, as is the case in all but a few emerging economies.
    Oh! Well that's all right then.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    My post was to draw attention to the increasing "silent poverty" of Afrikaans in ANC South Africa. That there were always some poor Afrikaans families does not explain the increasing numbers of squatter camps which you euphemistically term informal housing. My post was not about the poverty of blacks under the ANC regime.
    I'm not sure if you read the article I linked that disputes the claims made in the report you posted -

The two accounts are very different.

You must be referring to the estimate that there is "at least 1 million who are totally destitute". I never mentioned, nor have I seen John Simpson's exposé of Afrikaans poverty. I did mention that it was little reported and i cited Reuters from 2010 since when it has been swept under the carpet. Indeed, John Simpson seems to be underestimating the scale of Afrikaans poverty when he reported, “One ugly secret in the new South Africa is white poverty,” and that ”At least 200,000 whites live in squatter camps like this today.” The statistic has to be an estimate because the ANC government prefers not to collect such data and guesses have to be made by private citizens. The article which you believe trashes the BBC report was unable to verify any number of poor Afrikaans. This does not dispute the Simpson report. Unlike yourself, C. Flower, I place no confidence in the self-serving census South African government survey. The ANC do not want the truth to be told. The Reuters report I relied was written in 2010 by Finbarr O'Reilly of the Sri Lanka Sunday Times International Edition:
    The same story seems to have been retailed by a number of journalists. This is not unusual and does not add to credibility.
    You have not linked the Reuters report so we can't see what sources it relied on or exactly what it said.

You did link a website of a documentary maker that makes this claim -
    Poor Whites -- South Africa's New Subclass is the story of several white families who have lost their jobs and fallen into poverty as a consequence of preferential treatment for blacks. They are known as the "poor whites," a group that hardly gets discussed but that is rapidly increasing in size.
    Poor whites are not new in South Africa, and the suggestion on the website that white poverty is because of preferential treatment for black workers is borderline racist. The truth is that the South African economy, considering its natural resources and population, is in rag order, and both blacks and whites are suffering from this. There has been an acute housing crisis in South Africa for decades, since before the end of the apartheid regime.
    You will find the estimate of a million poverty-stricken Afrikaaners on the Censorbugbear site:

http://www.censorbugbear.org/refugee...l-over-gauteng
    Censusbugbear does not appear to give any sources for any of its statistical claims.

It only seems to be concerned about white poverty, not black.

This is the ANC line.
    I don't think so. The ANC made little attempt to get control of the South African economy and did a deal that left it in "old guard" hands.

Oh! Well that's all right then.
    Do you think so? Since the crash there has been a general shift to much higher levels of average poverty with an elite getting much richer.

I would be surprised but pleased if this trend has not applied under the ANC.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

I'm not sure if you read the article I linked that disputes the claims made in the report you posted -

The two accounts are very different.
    How could I have made reference to the Census and the admission of the author that she could not verify the statistic of the estimate had I not read it?

The same story seems to have been retailed by a number of journalists. This is not unusual and does not add to credibility.
    You have not linked the Reuters report so we can't see what sources it relied on or exactly what it said.
    Finbarr O'Reilly was the Reuters reporter and I linked to his article in the Sunday Times.

You did link a website of a documentary maker that makes this claim -

Poor whites are not new in South Africa, and the suggestion on the website that white poverty is because of preferential treatment for black workers is borderline racist.
    Yes, the Afrikaans squatter camps are ANC's dirty secret.

Censusbugbear does not appear to give any sources for any of its statistical claims.

It only seems to be concerned about white poverty, not black.
    It is concerned about the hidden poverty of the Afrikaans. Everyone knows the ordinary blacks who are not in the ANC leadership are dirt poor.

The figure of 400,000 squatting does not have any source that I can see other than the one contradicted by Africheck.

O'Reilly's report is a much more rounded and informative account than appears on the thread.

Poor whites have suffered from the loss of privilege and protected employment.

Yes, the Afrikaans squatter camps are ANC's dirty secre
    t

tt is not that big a secret as there was a report of Zuma having visited and been shocked by a camp.

The ANC has plenty of defects as a Government, there is no doubt about that, but blaming poverty of whites on blacks taking jobs as done in some reporting puts the most toxic spin on unemployment that affects blacks far more severely than whites.
    It is concerned about the hidden poverty of the Afrikaans. Everyone knows the ordinary blacks who are not in the ANC leadership are dirt poor.
    In what way is it hidden ? It seems to have been widely reported for the last few years.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

... In what way is it hidden ? It seems to have been widely reported for the last few years.
    I read newspapers and watch the news every day on TV. I did not know about this as you clearly did.

I read newspapers and watch the news every day on TV. I did not know about this as you clearly did.
    It is shocking and I agree with you that it is not reported widely. It's shocking when it's seen in the US too. It is no better or worse when black or white people are homeless. Perhaps it is easier for some people to identify with someone who looks like themselves.

The point is made in this article that this kind of homelessness is difficult to enumerate - people sleep/live in hidden places and in cars and vans, and move on frequently.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/23/op...i-tent-cities/

We are accustomed to the idea of shack cities in Brazil or India, but in the declining advanced states, it comes as a shock.

Preliminary findings by The National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty show that tent cities have been documented in almost every state, and they're growing.

A report released by the U.S. Conference of Mayors, for example, found that homelessness and hunger rates are rising, culminating in 47 million Americans living below the poverty line. A fledgling economic recovery, high unemployment and contracting government services are largely to blame. So is the paucity -- or paradox -- of affordable housing. While homelessness is increasing, more than 10% of homes in America are empty.
    Emergency services, meanwhile, aren't filling the void. Homeless families and single adults are routinely turned away by shelter homes because of lack of bed space.
    Tent cities are an organic, last resort response to crushing economic circumstances. Yet, rather than ameliorating the conditions that give rise to these communities, many states and municipalities are cracking down. While some encampments are legally sanctioned or permitted to operate on church grounds, officials routinely invoke prohibitions against public camping and sleeping to disband these encampments, leaving tenants languishing out in the cold.
    Epithets suggesting that homeless people are mentally ill, lazy, criminal, violent or some combination thereof only fuels the fire.
    These accusations are largely urban myth.
    Most homeless people do not suffer from mental illness or drug abuse. Many homeless people have jobs but simply can't afford housing. Some tent cities, for example, cater to local economies, and many of their residents are gainfully employed. Homeless people also tend to be the victims of countless hate crimes, even though they are a protected class under numerous state hate crime statutes.
    Lost in this shameful rhetoric is the fact that the right to housing is a bedrock of international law and protected by U.S. law. Some courts have held that tearing down camps when no alternative is available amounts to cruel and unusual punishment and a deprivation of property without due process of law.
    That we can even stroll through our cities while some of the residents languish in squalor is hard to believe. A few decades ago, tent cities would have been unimaginable.
    In 1964, a group of researchers famously roamed the parks of New York City and found only one homeless man. Fifty years later, homelessness in New York City has reached a record high. The same can be said for much of America: Homelessness has doubled since the 1980s. Those who declare that we're close to ending poverty just need to look around and see the victims of the Great Recession.

— Jean-Paul Sartre

What is a particular irony is that Dutch and Flemish set out to transform the this part of Africa into a homeland. They were seen by the English as the enemy and consequently beaten-down. Their dream of settling a new land never died and they eventually came to dominate South Africa. Having established an Apartheid country where they were outnumbered 14:1 the Transvaal trek became as much a part of their mythology as the Manifest Destiny of American pioneers, becoming the rulers. It eventually succumbed to the struggle of the "Bantu" for equality and since then many of these working class and farming Boers have become destitute.

What is a particular irony is that Dutch and Flemish set out to transform the this part of Africa into a homeland. They were seen by the English as the enemy and consequently beaten-down. Their dream of settling a new land never died and they eventually came to dominate South Africa. Having established an Apartheid country where they were outnumbered 14:1 the Transvaal trek became as much a part of their mythology as the Manifest Destiny of American pioneers, becoming the rulers. It eventually succumbed to the struggle of the "Bantu" for equality and since then many of these working class and farming Boers have become destitute.
    Particularly and cruelly ironic that one of the camps is reported to be on the site of one of the concentration camps into which the British imprisoned their forebears.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Thats a "nice" way to put it