Thread: Saudi To "Go It Alone"

Default Saudi To "Go It Alone"

This is the 2nd or 3rd such piece I've seen recently. I think they're trying to send a message, reminding everyone that they are big dogs in the energy biz.

Saudi Ambass to UK

Saudi Arabia Will Go It Alone

The foreign policy choices being made in some Western capitals risk the stability of the region and, potentially, the security of the whole Arab world. This means the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has no choice but to become more assertive in international affairs: more determined than ever to stand up for the genuine stability our region so desperately needs.

Saudi Arabia has enormous responsibilities within the region, as the cradle of Islam and one of the Arab world’s most significant political powers. We have global responsibilities — economic and political — as the world’s de facto central banker for energy. And we have a humanitarian responsibility to do what we can to end the suffering in Syria.

We will act to fulfill these responsibilities, with or without the support of our Western partners. Nothing is ruled out in our pursuit of sustainable peace and stability in the Arab World as King Abdullah — then Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince — showed with his leadership of the 2002 Arab Peace Initiative to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Default Re: Saudi To "Go It Alone"

Hmm.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    This is the 2nd or 3rd such piece I've seen recently. I think they're trying to send a message, reminding everyone that they are big dogs in the energy biz.

Saudi Ambass to UK

The foreign policy choices being made in some Western capitals risk the stability of the region and, potentially, the security of the whole Arab world. This means the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has no choice but to become more assertive in international affairs: more determined than ever to stand up for the genuine stability our region so desperately needs.

Saudi Arabia has enormous responsibilities within the region, as the cradle of Islam and one of the Arab world’s most significant political powers. We have global responsibilities — economic and political — as the world’s de facto central banker for energy. And we have a humanitarian responsibility to do what we can to end the suffering in Syria.

We will act to fulfill these responsibilities, with or without the support of our Western partners. Nothing is ruled out in our pursuit of sustainable peace and stability in the Arab World as King Abdullah — then Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince — showed with his leadership of the 2002 Arab Peace Initiative to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Totally delusional.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Quote Originally Posted by riposte View Post
    Totally delusional.
    Careful there. CF modded out the word delusional recently, when I used it to describe some claims Ephilant was making. If I were of a spiteful disposition............
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

The Saud family who own Arabia is a bunch of anti-democratic villainous autocrats on excellent terms with the Americans and the English.

People who feel like they are losing their grip are very dangerous indeed. It won't stop the West's sales of weapons to them until they've done some serious damage... Ah well, sure those are the rules that the World's policemen play by.

Might is right!

Careful there. CF modded out the word delusional recently, when I used it to describe some claims Ephilant was making. If I were of a spiteful disposition............
    You may calll the post mad, but not the poster
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    The Saud family who own Arabia is a bunch of anti-democratic villainous autocrats on excellent terms with the Americans and the English.
    This notion that the Saudis and also Qataris are acting according to an independent agenda has been circulated in the last while.

When I see them stop buying US arms, and close down US bases, I will take it seriously.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Careful there. CF modded out the word delusional recently, when I used it to describe some claims Ephilant was making. .

Sorry about that Count .... wasn't saying you were delusional ....... I was referring the Saudi ambassador.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

As I said, the Ambass is not the only one. It's a multi-pronged strategy.

Saudi prince blasts US secret diplomacy with Iran

are we sensitive these days eh?

where was I?

yea the saudi's - bunch of psychopaths (CF you welcome to mod that out if you think not acceptable)

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    you wait long enough and we'll change coats...besides, someone needs to buy the guns we produce, no?

I dont think 'democratic' even figures in their lexicon

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    People who feel like they are losing their grip are very dangerous indeed. It won't stop the West's sales of weapons to them until they've done some serious damage... Ah well, sure those are the rules that the World's policemen play by.

Might is right!
    oh dear...i should have read this first (\o/ running away in fear )
    Last edited by random new yorker; 18-12-2013 at 02:15 AM.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Saudi Ambass to UK

This is not doing a Putin (i.e. pure posturing), its a very legit statement from the Saudis. Aramco, Saudis national oil firm has a confirmed reserve of around a 1/4 of the worlds oil. SA are not giving a thinly veiled threat but are letting the world know they are not be meddled with and messed around. Is SA letting their humanitarian efforts lapse in Palestine too? Mention of Syria there but what about Palestine?...
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    oh dear...i should have read this first (\o/ running away in fear )
    I did use the plural, so it was just as much of a dig at the little satans as the big one...