Thread: News Unreported

Default News Unreported

I'm starting this thread for noting down stories that are not reported, or are seriously under-reported in the commercial and state media.

It seems to me that more and more frequently there are events that seem to be important to people on social media, but are disregarded on RTE or in the press.

Gemma Doherty's sacking from Independent Newspapers is one example that comes to mind, as is the ongoing and spreading Ballyhea protest against the debt.

We mention them across the threads, but I'm making this a sticky, so that a list of these missing reports is built up in one place.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: News Unreported

A generalized, multi-topic thread is sure to get unwieldy, disorganized, and impossible to follow. Topics will get lost and responses will be all mixed-up. Members might be reluctant to start a post on a topic which does not get covered properly on RTE and Irish newspapers because this thread exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    A generalized, multi-topic thread is sure to get unwieldy, disorganized, and impossible to follow. Topics will get lost and responses will be all mixed-up. Members might be reluctant to start a post on a topic which does not get covered properly on RTE and Irish newspapers because this thread exists.
    Shouldn't really be a problem if people use this thread just to highlight a particular story. If its important a new thread can be opened for discussion and can be linked to from here.

Yesterday's IMOS story about bankrupt developer Sean Dunne's secret room filled with boxes of documentation and over a hundred artworks hasn't been picked up on anywhere else today.

Not unreported but certainly flying under the radar on Christmas Eve...
    PAUL MELIA – 24 DECEMBER 2013UNEMPLOYED workers will take up new positions in local authorities from early next year, carrying out environmental works including drainage schemes and outdoor maintenance.
    The Government plans to pay up to 3,000 workers an additional €20 a week for up to 22 months to carry out services which city and county councils cannot currently deliver, the Irish Independent has learned.Some 351 people have already been referred for garda vetting under the 'Gateways Initiative', and the first placements have already commenced.
    The initiative has been agreed with unions, and is designed to support councils in meeting local demands for improvements. Workers who refuse to engage in the initiative face the prospect of social welfare payments being reduced, or having payments suspended.
    "We're working with the Minister for Social Protection to develop opportunities," Environment Minister Phil Hogan said. "We have 1,500 places already identified in local authorities for people to be employed on a social employment scheme to do certain environment works.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-29863105.html
    Another blatant example of proper full time jobs being replaced with cheap forced labour.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    Not unreported but certainly flying under the radar on Christmas Eve...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-29863105.html
    Another blatant example of proper full time jobs being replaced with cheap forced labour.
    FFS - "Garda vetting" to work for nothing. Insult to injury. Where the heck are the Union branches in this ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Famine roads.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Why not create a method whereby CoCo etc., 'workers' actually work? I have direct experience, as I'm sure many others have, of people who have a job but don't do it.

Not very 'festive' I know but, ffs, this is only a vote getting exercise pre local elections.

Quote Originally Posted by barrym View Post
    Why not create a method whereby CoCo etc., 'workers' actually work? I have direct experience, as I'm sure many others have, of people who have a job but don't do it.

Not very 'festive' I know but, ffs, this is only a vote getting exercise pre local elections.
    Councils have actually lost a lot of people to early retirement over the last few years and a high percentage of them were what's described as 'outside operatives'. Cork County Council for instance employs 800 less than it did in 2007. Those full time jobs are now to be replaced by people on the equivalent of barely subsistence wages.

From the ST 24/11/2013. Makes me wonder just how easy it is to circumvent procedures on intercepting phone calls.

Still no proper list of Released State Papers that I have seen. We are just presented with a few pre-digested tit bits.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre