Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peadar Toibin waltz

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Default Re: Peadar Toibin waltz

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I hear natural yoghurt is recommended for that.
    Yeah but a person would risk smelling like a block of gone off cheddar....lol
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Peadar has finally quit SF, saying that he has lost too many speaking privileges etc during his suspension. He's going to form a new 32 county party.

He could have gone to FF and given them some nationalist substance towards their mirage-like supposed takeover of the SDLP in NI.

What would his new party be about other than mainly being a home for disenchanted pro-life politicians?

His seat and Carol Nolan's seat loss in Offaly ensure that SF are -2 seats before they start the next GE.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    Peadar has finally quit SF, saying that he has lost too many speaking privileges etc during his suspension. He's going to form a new 32 county party.

He could have gone to FF and given them some nationalist substance towards their mirage-like supposed takeover of the SDLP in NI.

What would his new party be about other than mainly being a home for disenchanted pro-life politicians?

His seat and Carol Nolan's seat loss in Offaly ensure that SF are -2 seats before they start the next GE.
    Just interviewed on RTE - the small and medium business man is not represented he says (FG? FF?). Perhaps he will join Renua or Peter Casey.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

I will be very interested to see what kind of party or movement Toibin starts. If he teams up with people like Gemma O'Doherty, it could prove to be a distinct anti-establishment entity. His/their view on the EU could be a crucial ingredient in that.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Just interviewed on RTE - the small and medium business man is not represented he says (FG? FF?). Perhaps he will join Renua or Peter Casey.
    That sounds like a very deliberate pitch, it's as if he never had an actual interest in the Welfare and Trade Union vote that SF are trying to corner.

In fairness to Peadar he has never been shy about speaking and portraying himself as if he would have been more at home on economic and social matters in FF or FG. He used to post on P.ie in the past and I'm not au fait with his posting history but I'd imagine he'd be of a similar mindset to many of the conservative centre-right posters there.

Also Peadar may be in for a rude awakening. While he might be getting a rockstar level of recognition from vocal pro-lifers there's very little mileage in the pro-life vote. Time and time again we've seen pro-lifers flop at the ballot box. Peadar has to keep his old SF vote in a county where the SF organisation had 20% of the Council seats in the Local Elections in 2014. Despite appearances it's unlikely that the SF vote in the Meath West constituency was a particularly personal vote for Peadar himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    That sounds like a very deliberate pitch, it's as if he never had an actual interest in the Welfare and Trade Union vote that SF are trying to corner.

In fairness to Peadar he has never been shy about speaking and portraying himself as if he would have been more at home on economic and social matters in FF or FG. He used to post on P.ie in the past and I'm not au fait with his posting history but I'd imagine he'd be of a similar mindset to many of the conservative centre-right posters there.

Also Peadar may be in for a rude awakening. While he might be getting a rockstar level of recognition from vocal pro-lifers there's very little mileage in the pro-life vote. Time and time again we've seen pro-lifers flop at the ballot box. Peadar has to keep his old SF vote in a county where the SF organisation had 20% of the Council seats in the Local Elections in 2014. Despite appearances it's unlikely that the SF vote in the Meath West constituency was a particularly personal vote for Peadar himself.
    I agree with you. He will either disappear, or move sharply to the right.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12