Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Support the Marks and Spencers Workers !

Default Re: Support the Marks and Spencers Workers !

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Scabs are rarely well off
    In contrast to labor union leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Criticizing unemployed non-unionized working class persons for accepting temporary holiday work because it will help them put food on the table is smug and cold-hearted, typical of the inflexibility to be found in wealthy organized labour leaders and their Labour Party cronies. It is the customers who have choice where to spend their disposable income. The fault is not with the unemployed seasonal workers but with their critics and M&S shoppers.
    It is in the interests of the non-unionised to join a union and join the strike. It is their best hope for a reasonable future, otherwise they join the race to the bottom. The TU and Labour leaders are hostile to strikes, and the latter welcome strike breaking. TU leaders let laws through that undermined the right to picket effectively in the boom years. I'm sure they knew what they were doing.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

In contrast to labor union leaders.
    Don't be facetious. Generally it's only the poor who will consider scabbing, considering how those people (scabs)are pretty much universally viewed with contempt. Of course their own interests are served by taking part in and respecting strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    ... Generally it's only the poor who will consider scabbing, considering how those people (scabs)are pretty much universally viewed with contempt. ...
    Please spare us your obnoxious name-calling and quit being so judgmental of the unemployed. Poverty will motivate people to take casual seasonal work but no-one is forcing Marks and Spencer customers from spending money there.

Please spare us your obnoxious name-calling and quit being so judgmental of the unemployed. Poverty will motivate people to take casual seasonal work but no-one is forcing Marks and Spencer customers from spending money there.
    I am not being judgmental or critical of the unemployed, but of strikebreakers. There is no excuse for it.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Apjp hit the nail on the head with his post. Its a very grey area, staff are fighting for better conditions and the temporary staff are in need of payment over Xmas. No one should begrudge the seasonal workers for wanting to earn a few quid but as SgD scabs are to be pitied for thinking they are somehow superior to the workers out on strike. Get behind the workers 100%, have been on strike once in my current job and to see how others do it for days or weeks on end, they are made of much sterner stuff than I and are to be admired. Between ESB and Marks and Spencers there is something to be learned from these workers...
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Strike off tomorrow pending talks.
    In a statement this evening, the Mandate trade union confirms a decision has been made to defer tomorrow’s strike “after intervention from the Labour Court”.
    The union says that while last minute negotiations at the LRC did not bring about a resolution, “both parties will now attend an emergency Labour Court hearing on Friday”
    http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/str...e=twitter_self

Update this evening. Seriously lacking in detail though.
    Friday 13 December 2013, 06pmThe Labour Court met today (Friday, 13th December 2013) and issued a Recommendation in respect of the Mandate Trade Union and Marks & Spencer dispute.
    This Recommendation has been considered by the unions’ National Negotiating Committee’s and has been recommended for acceptance by the membership. All union members will be balloted next week in relation to this Recommendation.
    The Labour Court Recommendation deals with the central concern expressed by the unions that they were unable to deal with the company’s proposals due to the lack of access to financial information.
    The Recommendation puts in place a process of engagement in the event of this information becoming available.
    http://www.mandate.ie/News/Mandate/9...mendation.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    Update this evening. Seriously lacking in detail though.

http://www.mandate.ie/News/Mandate/9...mendation.aspx
    Id imagine they wont go into detail on it until after it is balloted with their membership. Id consider it poor form if I were a worker there and the first I heard of what I was voting on was in mational media. Hopefully they have what they want, its the whole point of going out after all

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rpurfield View Post
    Id imagine they wont go into detail on it until after it is balloted with their membership. Id consider it poor form if I were a worker there and the first I heard of what I was voting on was in mational media. Hopefully they have what they want, its the whole point of going out after all

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    There must be huge pressure to have the stores kept open at this time of the year. Only 11 frenzied shopping days left

Update:

Friday 25 April 2014, 03pm
    Mandate Trade Union and SIPTU members in Marks & Spencer have today (Friday, 25th April) voted to reject a Labour Court Recommendation by a margin of 84 percent to 16 percent.

Marks & Spencer employs approximately 2,300 workers in 17 stores nationally.

The Recommendation from the Labour Court largely backed plans by Marks & Spencer management for cost cutting measures which would seriously deteriorate the living standards for workers at the company.
    Last year Marks & Spencer management closed the workers’ defined benefit pension scheme without agreement – informing the workers that their retirement fund is a ‘discretionary benefit’. Unlike many other defined benefit schemes, the Marks & Spencer scheme was a performing scheme and was in surplus to the tune of approximately €17m.
    The company has also put forward proposals in relation to a whole range of cost saving measures including:

• A reduction in the number of Section Managers;
    • A reduction in the Sunday and Public Holiday premium;
    • The elimination of the Christmas bonus.

Mr Light said, “As always, Mandate is available to sit down to discuss the relevant issues with Marks & Spencer management. However, any negotiations must be genuine and meaningful and the company must show a willingness to agree a resolution which is fair and equitable.”

Mandate has now written to the company to invite them back into negotiations.

Mr Light explained, “We have now written to management telling them that we fully expect them to respect to outcome of this ballot and ensure there will be no further unilateral actions to reduce our members’ conditions of employment.

“Any attempts to push through cost saving proposals without agreement will be resisted in the strongest possible way,” he concluded.
    http://www.mandate.ie/News/Mandate/1...mendation.aspx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12