Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: éirígí Ard Fheis 2013

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,980

    Default Re: éirígí Ard Fheis 2013

    A number of key members have left Eiriigi - this is discussed in this guest article by Joseph Magee on the Pensive Quill blog.

    It has been clear over the last while that there were two trends in Eirigí, one of which is "left SF", and the other of which is socialist republican, revolutionary, and influenced to some degree by anarchism, particularly in terms of its participatory approach to policy development.

    Another false start in the Irish left, more lessons. People will have to pick themselves up, dust down and get going again.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    16,683

    Default Re: éirígí Ard Fheis 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Finally a report;
    Yes, but then there is this:

    The final speaker of the day was Cathaoirleach éirígí, Brian Leeson, who delivered the main address on behalf of the party (video of same to be posted on www.eirigi.org in the coming days). With the conclusion of Leeson’s speech a rendition of Amhrán na bhFiann brought a highly successful Ard Fheis 2013 to a close.
    I can't seem to find the video of this speech although it has been a couple of weeks since the article was posted.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,980

    Default Re: éirígí Ard Fheis 2013

    No discussion of the disagreements, apparently, or at last no mention of them. It is better when parties with disagreements can explore them properly in debate and learn from them.

    One thing that is mentioned in the Ard Fheis is the need for "faster decision making." Eirigi put several years of internal discussion into its main programme and policy statement. Clearly there is a need for parties to make some day to day decisions quickly, but not at the expense of internal democracy. Top down groups and parties are vulnerable to all kinds of political damage from uncontrolled leaders and plus the membership needs to be part of policy development if it is to strengthen politically. It is pretty sad to read someone say that eírigi now has an internal culture less open to debate than Sinn Fein.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  4. #34

    Default Re: éirígí Ard Fheis 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    That I don't know.

    It would not do eirigí any harm to occasionally post online. It is one of the ways to get their position across to a lot of people and to hear and respond to critiques.

    It is not healthy to live long term in a bubble.
    Eirigi have a website that is updated regularly , www.eirigi.org .

  5. #35

    Default Re: éirígí Ard Fheis 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    A number of key members have left Eiriigi - this is discussed in this guest article by Joseph Magee on the Pensive Quill blog.

    It has been clear over the last while that there were two trends in Eirigí, one of which is "left SF", and the other of which is socialist republican, revolutionary, and influenced to some degree by anarchism, particularly in terms of its participatory approach to policy development.

    Another false start in the Irish left, more lessons. People will have to pick themselves up, dust down and get going again.
    This article was put up on the Pensive Quill just before the Ard Fheis and was a great source of amusement at the Ard Fheis . It states that Eirigi is no longer active in Tipperary , I can tell you Eirigi is very active in Tipp and has added new members since .

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,980

    Default Re: éirígí Ard Fheis 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of 67 View Post
    This article was put up on the Pensive Quill just before the Ard Fheis and was a great source of amusement at the Ard Fheis . It states that Eirigi is no longer active in Tipperary , I can tell you Eirigi is very active in Tipp and has added new members since .
    That would not have been the main point of the article, surely?

    What is more cause of concern to people who have had a generally positive or supportive view of Eirígí and its aspirations would be the suggestion that its internal democracy has been reduced.

    Looking at parties like the SP and SWP, when that happens it is the sure road to political stagnation and ultimately more serious problems.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,980

    Default Re: éirígí Ard Fheis 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of 67 View Post
    Eirigi have a website that is updated regularly , www.eirigi.org .
    Yes, but it is a one way street in terms of communication. It is good to get out there and strength-test policy and programme in open debate in all the available arenas.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us