Thread: New Blog Post by Saoirse go Deo - The Pitfalls of Electoral Politics

Default New Blog Post by Saoirse go Deo - The Pitfalls of Electoral Politics

A new blog post on the PW blog, culled from Saoirse go Deo's thoughtful OP of the same name.

Has revolution become a dirty word for the left in Ireland ?

http://itsapoliticalworld.wordpress....oral-politics/
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: New Blog Post by Saoirse go Deo - The Pitfalls of Electoral Politics

SDG poses the question of why there such an electoral fetish exists with regard to the Irish left. The answer is that if they win seats they get money and with the money they pay their leading members. So, in essence, the point is to keep their leading members in work (work that is entirely divorced from the working class).

The problem with running to win seats (as opposed to other reasons)is that the politics is watered down, bourgeois ideology propogated, and illusions created that workers can achieve something by voting for Joe Blogs or whoever.

I have no problem with left parties running in elections if they say to the workers, "Vote for me if you like but I will do nothing for you .. you have to act in your own interests as a class and overthrow capitalism". But of course such messages are never heard.

Default Re: New Blog Post by Saoirse go Deo - The Pitfalls of Electoral Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    SDG poses the question of why there such an electoral fetish exists with regard to the Irish left. The answer is that if they win seats they get money and with the money they pay their leading members. So, in essence, the point is to keep their leading members in work (work that is entirely divorced from the working class).

The problem with running to win seats (as opposed to other reasons)is that the politics is watered down, bourgeois ideology propogated, and illusions created that workers can achieve something by voting for Joe Blogs or whoever.

I have no problem with left parties running in elections if they say to the workers, "Vote for me if you like but I will do nothing for you .. you have to act in your own interests as a class and overthrow capitalism". But of course such messages are never heard.
    A rather sad state of affairs.

Not just money, I think, it is to do with political power and prestige captured for the organisation, too.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Stuck an updated version of this on my blog:
    http://theunitedirishman.blogspot.ie...-politics.html

Not just money, I think, it is to do with political power and prestige captured for the organisation, too.
    What political power?

More to do with ego and ambitions of the person imo - and lots would like to join them.

I think Sam Lord is right, a lot of it is about money