Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ming's weed quest - Cannabis Regulation Bill

Default Ming's weed quest - Cannabis Regulation Bill

Wearing a hemp suit in the Dáil now

http://agenda.ie/tv/dail/

Default Re: Ming's weed quest - Cannabis Regulation Bill

Ming wearing a suit? Barrett will have apoplexy.

can't hemp be used for biofuel and paper?

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Is there a link to the content of Luke's Bill?

The regulation of cannabis is a good idea, it will generate a vibrant cottage industry here that will create employment and stymie criminal enterprise in these areas.

The regulation however should be very very strict.
    In case this all goes pear-shaped, I'll bid you adieu

Quote Originally Posted by musashi View Post

The regulation of cannabis is a good idea, it will generate a vibrant cottage industry here that will create employment and stymie criminal enterprise in these areas.

But will normalizing drug use increase it's consumption?

Quote Originally Posted by musashi View Post

Here:
    http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2013/...-bill-2013.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    But will normalizing drug use increase it's consumption?
    Good question, but given the carnage that the illegal drug trade and legal alcohol one visit on society how bad could it get particularly when you're regulating the quality of product.

Someone on a mellow weed or someone on high octane spirits, which character would you least like to bump into at night?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    Good question, but given the carnage that the illegal drug trade and legal alcohol one visit on society how bad could it get particularly when you're regulating the quality of product.

Someone on a mellow weed or someone on high octane spirits, which character would you least like to bump into at night?
    Neither, they're both morons.

Neither, they're both morons.
    I did state which one would you least like to meet, the doper on a regulated calming drug is far less likely to kick an innocent's head in.

Every society has some way of getting their kicks and in moderation it's a good stress relieving thing. Given the current state of prescribed medical doping, illegal drug taking and rampant alcoholism etc the floodgates are already wide open.

I'd definitely be in favour of medical use!

Here's one good reason why the government won't look favourably on the proposal.

From the bill:
    (5) The cultivation and sale of cannabis by a Cannabis Social Club be zero-rated for thepurpose of value-added tax and shall not otherwise give rise to a tax liability.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    I did state which one would you least like to meet, the doper on a regulated calming drug is far less likely to kick an innocent's head in.

Every society has some way of getting their kicks and in moderation it's a good stress relieving thing. Given the current state of prescribed medical doping, illegal drug taking and rampant alcoholism etc the floodgates are already wide open.

I'd definitely be in favour of medical use!
    There are far better ways to relax and relieve stress than taking mind altering drugs (whatever kind). It is not healthy (in fact it is quite sad) to need drugs of any kind to relax, I dispute that it is a "good thing" and it is irresponsible to say so.

I never said I was for or against, I was asking if normalization of drugs will lead to increased consumption. (I imagine that there are studies.) This is a bad thing, I would rather not meet a drunk, or someone high on drugs but a psychologically balanced person who does not require to be out of their head in other to enjoy themselves, that is the symptom of a sick society.

musashi said that legalization will lead to a "vibrant cottage industry". It won't. If it is to be regulated we won't all be growing it in sheds in our back garden, instead large pharmaceutical companies will be growing it and getting the profits.

I was actually asking a couple of questions, the first that needs to be answered is if whether or not legalization will lead to normalization.

But will normalizing drug use
    ah here

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FIVE View Post
    ah here
    Hmm.
    I was actually asking a couple of questions, the first that needs to be answered is if whether or not legalization will lead to normalization.
    I think it's a fair and relevant question.
    Last edited by Saoirse go Deo; 05-11-2013 at 11:58 PM.

The question starts from an assumption that drugs are not already available and used everywhere. Normalisation has sailed long long ago.

There are far better ways to relax and relieve stress than taking mind altering drugs (whatever kind). It is not healthy (in fact it is quite sad) to need drugs of any kind to relax, I dispute that it is a "good thing" and it is irresponsible to say so.

I never said I was for or against, I was asking if normalization of drugs will lead to increased consumption. (I imagine that there are studies.) This is a bad thing, I would rather not meet a drunk, or someone high on drugs but a psychologically balanced person who does not require to be out of their head in other to enjoy themselves, that is the symptom of a sick society.

musashi said that legalization will lead to a "vibrant cottage industry". It won't. If it is to be regulated we won't all be growing it in sheds in our back garden, instead large pharmaceutical companies will be growing it and getting the profits.

Introducing it on a trial basis is the only way to find that out. Other countries don't seem to have gone insane by relaxing their cannabis laws, but we'll only know the effects on ours by trying it out. We do know that societies since the year dot have been brewing and smoking and eating mind altering substances. It's a fundamental part of human nature, mitigating the worst effects of it is the best that can be hoped for. So in that logical frame of mind and knowing that illegal drug supply is a hugely destructive force right through the length and breadth of the country, taking the criminals in the supply chain out of the equation seems a worthwhile experiment.

As for who profits, well you have heard of micro-breweries not that the two necessarily equate, but you get the idea that a well thought out cannabis strategy may not be all bad.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast