Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Launch of new book; 'Lethal Allies: Britain's Secret War in Ireland'. Events in Belfast, Derry and Dublin

Default Re: Launch of new book; 'Lethal Allies: Britain's Secret War in Ireland'. Events in Belfast, Derry and Dublin

I wonder how the Irish establishment will spin this.... Will FG and Labour come out justifying them or just go into ignore mode...

Default Re: Launch of new book; 'Lethal Allies: Britain's Secret War in Ireland'. Events in Belfast, Derry and Dublin

Quote Originally Posted by Ogiol View Post
    I wonder how the Irish establishment will spin this.... Will FG and Labour come out justifying them or just go into ignore mode...
    terror on both sides!

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    MRF man in interview being played now on Sean O'Rourke's programme said "we were told that we did officially not exist" "we were there to act like a terror group."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03jprmx

In the early 1970s, the British Army ran a secret undercover unit. Its existence was deniable and its tactics were so controversial that the unit was disbanded after just 14 months. Now, for the first time in 40 years, some of the unit's former members break their silence and talk candidly to John Ware about how they took the war to the IRA, sometimes even imitating the IRA itself. The soldiers believe they saved many lives. But Panorama's new evidence reveals that some members of the unit operated outside the law, firing on and killing unarmed civilians. The Ministry of Defence says it has referred Panorama's allegations to the police

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FIVE View Post

They will be spun as heroes in the UK and there will be a barrage of reportage about IRA horrors here.

Interesting to see how many of the IRA horrors done by these people who say they were "meant to be "IRA outlaws""
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

No mention as yet of their successors the FRU.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    Joe Tiernan did a pretty comprehensive investigation into the Dublin and Monaghan bombings several years ago. (I lent my copy to someone and never got it back ) I wonder if Cadwallander is just recycling this stuff or if there is genuinely new information in her book.
    Picked up Joe Tiernan's book today in a second hand shop on a whim, glad to see it's recommended. He self published and sold the book door to door apparently because no book shop or publisher would touch it.

I never actually finished Cadwallader's book, I got distracted about half way through by other things. TBH I was finding it a hard book to read due to the content in particular the contributions by relations of the victims and harrowing descriptions of their mourning process. (not to mention the murders themselves)

Anyway from a glance at Tierney's some of the content seems quite similar - he deals with the murder triangle too but has more space dedicated to the Dublin and Monaghan bombings than Cadwallader - but perhaps he printed the names Cadwallader had to redact. She also had access to sources Tierney did not, such as the HET reports.

Eventually I'll read both and compare more thoroughly but they seem to complement each other quite well.

Over 14,000 copies sold and the book is on its sixth run now. Not bad going

Good article here from History Ireland on Brigadier Frank Kitson and on the evolution of British counter insurgency tactics world wide, including Ireland - techniques later passed on to the US.

http://www.historyireland.com/volume...terinsurgency/
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345