Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Youth Bloc and Other Young Persons Actions

Default Re: Youth Bloc and Other Young Persons Actions

ICTU youth conference is on tomorrow and Sunday at CWU headquarters. Im in attendance so Ill report back on how it goes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rpurfield View Post
    ICTU youth conference is on tomorrow and Sunday at CWU headquarters. Im in attendance so Ill report back on how it goes

The Programme - http://www.ictu.ie/download/pdf/ictu...churefinal.pdf

80 under 35 year olds. ICTU are generous in their interpretation of youth.

I'll be interested to hear if this is about organising youth to fight for jobs and proper working conditions, or about hand rearing a new generation of young bureaucrats.

Will be happy out if it is the former.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Yeah apparently under 35 is some kind of European definition of young workers. I suppose if you allow for a lot of people being in education till they are mid twenties it makes sense!

Yeah apparently under 35 is some kind of European definition of young workers. I suppose if you allow for a lot of people being in education till they are mid twenties it makes sense!

I know - a hard call to make I expect it will be a good mix of ages and look forward to hearing about it.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Well day one is down a hell of a lot of talk on the EU and economics which was kinda enjoyable but I felt it really should be more about getting young people active in unions. There was speakers from Malta and Catalonia as well as a lady from Belfast(although shes actually French) speaking on co operatives which has some merit if they were really achievable down here. The day rounded off with Dr. John Barry of Queens who was excellent, talking about political economics.

Id be hopeful tomorrow will be more about organising young workers as there is a q&a session with John Douglas and Moira Murphy from Were Not Leaving is also giving a talk.

Day 2 is juat winding up we had an excellent speaker from Scotland called Jamie Max Caldwell who is vice chair of STUC youth. He was telling us how they run themselves and campaigns they are involved in. Out from that John Douglas has been giving a list of stuff to bring back to Congress like a youth seat on their excutive, and changes to how they engage with young people ie stalls at festivals etc.

Day 2 is juat winding up we had an excellent speaker from Scotland called Jamie Max Caldwell who is vice chair of STUC youth. He was telling us how they run themselves and campaigns they are involved in. Out from that John Douglas has been giving a list of stuff to bring back to Congress like a youth seat on their excutive, and changes to how they engage with young people ie stalls at festivals etc.

Thanks for that. Sounds like the business.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Thanks for that. Sounds like the business.
    Yeah it was an interesting two days, it was hashtagged on twitter at #ourfuture if anyone wants to check out tweets from it, mostly my own probably! Its like all things, its what happens next that really matters a bit like the young people's assembly last week. Interestingly when We're not leaving were speaking, they voiced disappointment at only having 200 at that assembly last week. Personally I thought 200 was good, especially as among that 200 you had the youth bloc of each major Trade Union, plus the likes of the Y factor and spun out as well as other community groupings.

It really feels to me that there is a recognition that youth blocs need to band together and leave infighting and factionism behind as we are a limited bunch numbers wise. The next step though needs to be getting more 18-25 year olds involved, I mean most of us at the conference were hovering around the 30 mark, which really shouldnt be happening in a proper youth bloc.

Yeah it was an interesting two days, it was hashtagged on twitter at #ourfuture if anyone wants to check out tweets from it, mostly my own probably! Its like all things, its what happens next that really matters a bit like the young people's assembly last week. Interestingly when We're not leaving were speaking, they voiced disappointment at only having 200 at that assembly last week. Personally I thought 200 was good, especially as among that 200 you had the youth bloc of each major Trade Union, plus the likes of the Y factor and spun out as well as other community groupings.

It really feels to me that there is a recognition that youth blocs need to band together and leave infighting and factionism behind as we are a limited bunch numbers wise. The next step though needs to be getting more 18-25 year olds involved, I mean most of us at the conference were hovering around the 30 mark, which really shouldnt be happening in a proper youth bloc.
    Look at previous times Ireland has been in trouble, or taken big opportunities - it has been the under 30s in the lead, with a few auld ones tagging along to the rear.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/joan...95471-Nov2013/

From Joan Burton

A Living Wage would be higher than the Minimum Wage, and would provide the income necessary to meet basic needs, including housing and healthcare, on top of items such as food and heating.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Just adding a few bits from the Young Workers Network. Support for the young workers in Newry who are owed wages from Newry on Ice. http://youngworkersnetwork.ie/young-...-rink-workers/

The Young Workers’ Network has called on the owners of a temporary ice rink which was positioned in Newry, Co. Down, during the festive period to pay their employees the money they owe them.

Over 30 young workers employed on a temporary basis were left without payment following the closure of the Newry on Ice Winter Wonderland earlier this month.

This week the young workers protested outside the offices of Newry and Mourne District Council. The temporary ice rink was hosted on land controlled by the District Council.

Phelim Jennings, a member of the SIPTU National Executive Council and the Newry Trades Council said: “I want to congratulate the young people on making a stand and encourage them to continue to have their voices heard until they are paid the wages they earned.”

Young Workers Network member, Robert Purfield, said: “We can’t let cheating bosses get away with treating workers like this. Some bosses think that they can get away with anything when it comes to how they treat young workers. Young people must get organised to stamp this attitude out.”
    There is also a pretty brilliant Activists Academy coming up soon, as soon as details are announced I will post them here, but its safe to say I'm pretty excited by whats planned. Or give the Facebook page a like https://www.facebook.com/YoungWorkersNetwork?fref=ts

The TEEU are also working with the USI to try and stop the apprenticeship fees

The Department of Education and Skills has imposed a minimum fee of €833 (rising to €1,433) on apprentices attending Institutes of Technology for their off-the-job training.

The Teeu has launched a campaign with USI calling for this tax on training to be axe

The Activist Academy has been launched http://youngworkersnetwork.ie/activistacademy/

An 8 week course from Thursday February 6th until Thursday 27th of March, 6pm – 8pm – Dublin Council of Trade Unions, Mandela House, 44 Lower Gardiner Street, Dublin 1

activistacademycolourDescription: This interactive series of workshops aims to empower activists with the tools and knowledge they need to run successful campaigns

Activists will gain confidence in understanding political economy and the wider invisible relations of social control that exist in our society. Activists will also learn research techniques they can use to ensure that their campaigns are based on strong evidence.

Dr. Conor McCabe author of Sins of the Father will teach the political economy part of the course and Dr. Sinead Pembroke, sociologist who most recently worked on the Magdeleine Oral History Project, will examine the social relations that exist in our society.

Those participating will have to produce a dynamic output which can be anything from a newspaper article to a campaign strategy.

Cost: Participants will be asked to make a financial contribution based on what they can afford each week.

Course Outline:

Week One:

- Introduction to political economy
    – Social theories of class – Marx, Weber, Durkheim and how they influence us today

Week Two:

- The Development of the Irish State
    – Institutions and social control – How institutions influence and control our society

Week Three:

– The IFSC and the global financial system
    – Labeling, criminalisation and moral panics – The media’s role in marginalising people

Week Four:

– Debt: Sovereign, private and mortgage-related
    – Research methods for activists – The case study approach
    Week Five:

- Austerity, tax avoidance and privatisation
    – Research methods for activists: Designing a survey and how to access CSO and other data for campaigns/articles

Week Six:

- Gender and austerity
    – Research methods for activists: Interview techniques and how to conduct focus groups

Week Seven. Guest Lecture by Dr. Tom Healy (Nevin Institute of Economic Research):

- What type of economy for what type of society? Ireland in 2050
    – Why do we conform? How do we resist?

Week Eight:

-Responding to frequently used arguments
    – Influencing decision makers
    – Creating a manifesto for social change
    if anyone wants to sign up they can do so at the link above. Places are limited.

Also Mandate Youth Network are hosting an event to celebrate the 55th anniversary of the Cuban revolution https://www.facebook.com/events/210808445791289/

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Thanks for that by the way, I jsut e mailed for more info.

Would be good for me to get an expanded knowledge of economics.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

The Activist Academy has been launched http://youngworkersnetwork.ie/activistacademy/
    if anyone wants to sign up they can do so at the link above. Places are limited.

Also Mandate Youth Network are hosting an event to celebrate the 55th anniversary of the Cuban revolution https://www.facebook.com/events/210808445791289/
    It would be great if some people here were able to report back on this
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    It would be great if some people here were able to report back on this
    If you mean the Cuban event, I won't be at it due to work commitments, however I will certainly update on the Activist Academy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast