Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 55

Thread: New Evidence - South African Police Planned Marikana Massacre

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,982

    Default Re: New Evidence - South African Police Planned Marikana Massacre

    14 of the miners were shot in the back or back of the head.

    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...6286AB81F28203

    Two policemen had been killed by miners two days earlier.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,409

    Default Re: New Evidence - South African Police Planned Marikana Massacre

    CF you seem to not understand the events leading up to the massacre or what happened on the day of the massacre.

    On the first day of the strike two miners were shot dead by NUM stewards during a protest march outside the NUM offices at the Lonmin mine. This immediately provoked a major reaction from the striking workers and the private security thugs of the mineowners opened fire to disperse the protest. The following day police snipers were being used in an attempt to assassinate strike leaders during a second protest march that resulted in 5 strikers being shot and injured. Two days later two security thugs were burned in their car when they drove into another protest march in all likelihood as a response from the actions of the security guards earlier in the week (a good comparison would be the deaths of two British soldiers in Andersonstown in 1988 when they drove into the funeral cortage of one of the viticms of the Milltown cemetary attack). The following day several hundred police raided the shantytowns surrounding the mines. NUM stewards sat in police Nalas fingering strike organisers as the police went from hut to hut beating people up and arresting any striking workers they could find. Several people were injured when police opended fire and during the course of the unrest two policement were disarmed by strikers and shot.

    The killing of the two policemen led to demands from the ranks of the police for retaliation (and this has been documented by the Marikana inquiry). The regional commissioner caved in and promised to deal with the striking workers (also documented). The police declared the day of the Massacre as 'D-Day' when they would break the strike and exact revenge for the killing of the police (also documented).

    On the day of the Massacre the police corralled 3,000 strikers behind razorwire - in the video Calitz talks about the positioning of the razorwire to corrall the strikers. The miners were then repeatedly bombarded by tear gas and stun grenades. These attacks broke up the miners into a number of sections. A section of miners were funnelled by the tear gas and stun grenades into the area where there was a gap in the razorwire and as they came through it the police opened fire. This happened to be the exact spot where the police had positioned all the media cameras that morning. At this point 14 miners were shot and killed and approximately 30 wounded. Following these shootings the miners remaining on the Koppe began to run away back towards the shantytowns. At this point - away from the media - the police began systematically hunting down striking miners. Several miners were shot in the back by snipers in police helicopters. As the police advanced up the Koppe they shot several wounded miners in the head (this has again been documented at the Marikana inquiry when a policeman gave evidence that he saw two Special Forces police officers murder two miners - no one hase ever been charged with this murder despite the fact that investigators at the Inquiry were able to find out and name the officers involved). 34 miners were killed, 256 were wounded and over 400 arrested in the aftermath of the massacre. For over a week the police refused to release the names of those who were killed injured or arrested. Those arrested were tortured in jail. Over 200 miners were subsequently charged with murder and attempted murder (the charges were dropped after about 8 months). In the year prior to the Massacre the police had been responsible for more than 1800 killings in South Africa. And remember the words of the man who ordered police to open fire - SAPS Brigadier Adriaan Calitz - “From the planning to the execution was 110 percent. I have to congratulate you. Exactly how we planned it and we briefed the commanders"

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,982

    Default Re: New Evidence - South African Police Planned Marikana Massacre

    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    CF you seem to not understand the events leading up to the massacre or what happened on the day of the massacre.

    On the first day of the strike two miners were shot dead by NUM stewards during a protest march outside the NUM offices at the Lonmin mine. This immediately provoked a major reaction from the striking workers and the private security thugs of the mineowners opened fire to disperse the protest. The following day police snipers were being used in an attempt to assassinate strike leaders during a second protest march that resulted in 5 strikers being shot and injured. Two days later two security thugs were burned in their car when they drove into another protest march in all likelihood as a response from the actions of the security guards earlier in the week (a good comparison would be the deaths of two British soldiers in Andersonstown in 1988 when they drove into the funeral cortage of one of the viticms of the Milltown cemetary attack). The following day several hundred police raided the shantytowns surrounding the mines. NUM stewards sat in police Nalas fingering strike organisers as the police went from hut to hut beating people up and arresting any striking workers they could find. Several people were injured when police opended fire and during the course of the unrest two policement were disarmed by strikers and shot.

    The killing of the two policemen led to demands from the ranks of the police for retaliation (and this has been documented by the Marikana inquiry). The regional commissioner caved in and promised to deal with the striking workers (also documented). The police declared the day of the Massacre as 'D-Day' when they would break the strike and exact revenge for the killing of the police (also documented).

    On the day of the Massacre the police corralled 3,000 strikers behind razorwire - in the video Calitz talks about the positioning of the razorwire to corrall the strikers. The miners were then repeatedly bombarded by tear gas and stun grenades. These attacks broke up the miners into a number of sections. A section of miners were funnelled by the tear gas and stun grenades into the area where there was a gap in the razorwire and as they came through it the police opened fire. This happened to be the exact spot where the police had positioned all the media cameras that morning. At this point 14 miners were shot and killed and approximately 30 wounded. Following these shootings the miners remaining on the Koppe began to run away back towards the shantytowns. At this point - away from the media - the police began systematically hunting down striking miners. Several miners were shot in the back by snipers in police helicopters. As the police advanced up the Koppe they shot several wounded miners in the head (this has again been documented at the Marikana inquiry when a policeman gave evidence that he saw two Special Forces police officers murder two miners - no one hase ever been charged with this murder despite the fact that investigators at the Inquiry were able to find out and name the officers involved). 34 miners were killed, 256 were wounded and over 400 arrested in the aftermath of the massacre. For over a week the police refused to release the names of those who were killed injured or arrested. Those arrested were tortured in jail. Over 200 miners were subsequently charged with murder and attempted murder (the charges were dropped after about 8 months). In the year prior to the Massacre the police had been responsible for more than 1800 killings in South Africa. And remember the words of the man who ordered police to open fire - SAPS Brigadier Adriaan Calitz - “From the planning to the execution was 110 percent. I have to congratulate you. Exactly how we planned it and we briefed the commanders"
    What I understand is that this is an enormously militant and determined strike movement, that workers have taken on the police and the police are patently and appropriately nervous of them. I think from the video it is very possible that there was a strategy to shoot miners, and that tear gas and stun grenades were used for that purpose.

    I don't agree that the cop in the video was making the admission that you claim he was. He did not say it was pre-prepared and was hardly likely to make such an admission when he knew there was press there. He claimed it was self defence.

    You left out the part where earlier in the day the cops had had to run for their lives from strikers: all credit should be given to the strikers where it is due.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,409

    Default Re: New Evidence - South African Police Planned Marikana Massacre

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    He did not say it was pre-prepared
    Calitz states
    From the planning to the execution was 110 percent. I have to congratulate you. Exactly how we planned it

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    and was hardly likely to make such an admission when he knew there was press there.
    There were no press at the briefing - the video was a police video - at one stage Calitz spots a member of the media recording the briefing and sends 'Mac' to get the recording and destroy (or tape over) it. The video was hidden by the police and only came to light during evidence by a police witness who was afraid the SAPS were hanging him out to dry and he handed over a hard drive containing the video (and a lot of other damning evidence).

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    You left out the part where earlier in the day the cops had had to run for their lives from strikers: all credit should be given to the strikers where it is due.
    There were never an incident earlier in the day where the 'police had run run their lives' - most of the day was peaceful with the head of the AMCU going to and fro trying to negotiate with the police and the mine owners. The miners had assembled on the Koppie because they felt it was safer than protesting at the mine because of the shootings earlier in the week. The only 'advance' by the police occurred just before the shootings started and the only 'retreat' was a short stepping back into formation just as the shooting started.

    This is a documentary produced by eNCA on the massacre -
    http://www.enca.com/south-africa/ful...e-through-lens

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    16,683

    Default Re: New Evidence - South African Police Planned Marikana Massacre

    There seems to be no doubt that miners were murdered on that day ... see the video here for example:

    http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...oting-20130128

    Whether the killings preplanned or not is still an open question (and in the video I have linked you can hear one senior (?) cop saying for example "Don't shoot him!" before a miner is gunned down.) The cops would, of course, have had plans to deal with all eventualities ... including coming under attack. Calitz is clearly telling the police officers in the video that JRG is making so much about that their plans were executed perfectly and that they should not be worried as everything was justified in self-defence. That what he outlines is not in accord with what actually transpired is not the issue we have been debating. The fact is that he makes no admission of a planned massacre. In fact, it is ludicrous to think that he is standing in front of dozens of police officers of all ranks and including some just drafted in that very morning from other regions and telling them ... yes, we planned to massacre people. It was all done to plan.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,982

    Default Re: New Evidence - South African Police Planned Marikana Massacre

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    There seems to be no doubt that miners were murdered on that day ... see the video here for example:

    http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...oting-20130128

    Whether the killings preplanned or not is still an open question (and in the video I have linked you can hear one senior (?) cop saying for example "Don't shoot him!" before a miner is gunned down.) The cops would, of course, have had plans to deal with all eventualities ... including coming under attack. Calitz is clearly telling the police officers in the video that JRG is making so much about that their plans were executed perfectly and that they should not be worried as everything was justified in self-defence. That what he outlines is not in accord with what actually transpired is not the issue we have been debating. The fact is that he makes no admission of a planned massacre. In fact, it is ludicrous to think that he is standing in front of dozens of police officers of all ranks and including some just drafted in that very morning from other regions and telling them ... yes, we planned to massacre people. It was all done to plan.
    Agreed.

    Miners form strong bonds and understand the value of their work, which makes a fortune in most cases for private speculators, unless the mines are nationalised. Miners have stood up for their rights and faced shootings in the U.S., South America and I guess many other places. They have won big wage increases and have formed part of the hard core of the Trade Union movement - it was no accident that Thatcher took on the miners in a strategy to disable trade union resistance to neoliberalism. In the strike that followed, miners were hammered by thousands of police, and one young miner was killed. In Wales, Churchill was never forgiven for sending troops in against striking miners in 1910. The massacre took place in the course of a dispute that was hard fought.

    There is every possibility that the shootings were pre-planned, but the video JRG posted does not establish that. Seizing a single sentence and quoting it our of context will not make it so. First hand accounts of miners consistently tally with the video in that barbed wire was used to block and attempt to corral miners and they were attacked with gas and stun grenades. When they tried to break out, they were shot at. Police then advanced after them and shot them at will.

    The Tonypandy Riots[1] of 1910 and 1911 (sometimes collectively known as the Rhondda Riots) was a series of violent confrontations between coal miners and police that took place at various locations in and around the Rhondda mines of the Cambrian Combine, a business network of mining companies formed to regulate prices and wages in south Wales. The riots were the culmination of an industrial dispute between workers and the mine owners. The term "Tonypandy riot" initially applied to specific events on the evening of Tuesday 8 November 1910, when strikers, impassioned by extended hand-to-hand fighting with the Glamorgan Constabulary, reinforced by the Bristol City Constabulary,[2] smashed windows of businesses in Tonypandy.

    Home Secretary Winston Churchill's decision to allow troops to be sent to the area to reinforce the police shortly after the 8 November riot caused ill feeling towards him in south Wales throughout his life. His responsibility remains a strongly disputed topic.
    A timeline of the Lonmin / Marikana strike. The workers went back to work with increases from 11% - 22%.

    http://www.sahistory.org.za/article/...acre-2012-2013
    Last edited by C. Flower; 14-10-2013 at 09:21 AM.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,409

    Default Re: New Evidence - South African Police Planned Marikana Massacre

    It really is getting tiresome going over the events leading up to and during the Marikana Massacre - over the past year I have detailed numerous points of evidence most presented to the Inquiry - I do not plan on repeating myself again.

    The conflict in the mines at Marikana (and the wider Rustenburg area) dated back to 2009. The NUM had become utterly corrupt and worked hand-in-hand with the mineowners in exploiting the miners in the region. In mid-2009 the Democratic Socialist Movement recognised the mining communities of Rustenburg and began carrying out organisational work assisting mineworkers in building new organisations to represent them.

    A series of strikes took place between 2009 and 2012 as mineworkers developed their own independent strike committees and combativeness. The mineowners became increasingly concerned with developments, the NUM began to panic at their loss of control and the ANC and SACP became worried that they were losing their influence over the mineworkers in the region.

    During several of the strikes prior to the rockdrillers strike in August 2012 police and company security thugs in mines around Rustenburg had used violence and repression against striking workers but had failed to suppress the growing militancy of the miners.

    On 10 August 2012 3,000 rockdrillers began strike action at Marikana. The police and company security began shooting miners during protests. In the shantytowns violence and intimidation broke out. Police repression was widespread – violence occurred between striking rockdrillers and non-striking mine workers (as strikes broke out in other mines the DSM were able to persuade strikers that it was counter-productive to engage in indiscriminate violence against non-striking workers and to focus instead on building the independent strike organisations that would encompass all workers. To a degree they were pushing an open door on this issue but the DSM did initiate the debate and assisted the strike committees on organising defence committees in the mining shantytowns).

    As soon as the strike started the mineowners, the NUM and the ANC/SACP decided that the strike had to be crushed and the newly developing organisations suppressed. Emails between Lonmin, the NUM, the police and the government that were found by advocates at the Marikana Inquiry showed that the establishment recognised the danger posed by the developing militancy of the mineworkers and planned the suppression of the strike and the independent workers committees.

    The ANC government draft thousands of police into Marikana as they planned the suppression of the strike. These police included several hundred members of the elite Strategic Forces unit. The police were armed with automatic rifles and handguns, shotguns, rubber bullets, stun grenades, tear gas, water cannon, dozens of Nyala armoured vehicles and miles of razor wire. The police and company thugs engaged in systematic violence against striking miners in the days leading up to the massacre.

    The police decided that that 16th August would be D-Day. They planned to drown the strike in blood.

    What is the evidence for this? (and this is just a very brief outline that only encompasses a fraction of the available evidence)
    1. Three days before the massacre the police ordered 4,000 rounds of ammunition for R5 rifles be sent to Marikana on the morning of the massacre.
    2. Emails from Lonmin, the NUM and the police show that they plan was to take whatever measures necessary to suppress the strike – and to use the suppression as an example to intimidate other mineworkers into submission.
    3. Meetings took place between local police, national police and members of the ANC/SACP government to plan the response to the strike. These meetings were denied but have now been proven to have happened.
    4. On the morning of the massacre Colonel Madoda of the police national office contacted the Phokeng goverment mortuary for mortuary vans to be sent that day to “Marikana police station for any disaster that can occur during the Marikana/Lonmin strike”.
    5. The police ringed the Koppie where the miners were gathering with razorwire and left a small gap (about 30m wide) in the wire located where a detachment of the elite police force were located.
    6. The national and international media were embedded with the police and located just where the gap was in the razorwire.
    7. Throughout the day the general secretary of the AMCU was attempted to negotiate to get the mine owners to discuss the demands of the striking rockdrillers (the mine owners refused to talk to the AMCU) and with the police to ensure the peaceful dispersal of the striking workers in the evening. The police strung the AMCU along as they prepared their assault.
    8. At 4pm the police launched their assault with volleys of stun grenades and tear gas. The stun grenades and tear gas split the strikers into a number of groups all of whom began to run for safety trying to get through the razorwire. The police advanced to the gap in the razorwire as a group of approx. 40 miners were being driven towards the gap in the wire in an effort to escape the tear gas and stun grenades. As soon as the miners emerged from the cloud of tear gas the police opened fire killing 10 of them and wounding the rest. The police subsequently advanced through the Koppie shooting miners attempting to escape the massacre. Police snipers in helicopters shot miners in the back as they ran away. The official death toll was 34 (this number is still disputed – some estimates put the final death toll at 44) and the official number injured at 78 (evidence at the Inquiry suggest the real figure is more than 250),
    9. Injured miners were deprived of emergency aid for several hours (with the possibility that some miners actually died from their wounds because of the failure by the police to admit the emergency services).
    10. The police moved bodies of dead and injured miners, removed evidence, and planted weapons (documented at the Inquiry)
    11. The police arrested and tortured over 400 striking miners and charged them with murder.
    12. The NUM/SACP declared those killed and injured in the massacre as criminals and demanded the arrest of the leaders of the AMCU and that they too be charged with murder.
    13. The following day Calitz in a videoed briefing states that the plan was executed to 110%.
    14. In the aftermath of the massacre the police repeatedly threatened to repeat the action in an attempt to suppress the strike.
    15. The SAPS held a nine day conference designed to hide evidence, destroy evidence, manufacture evidence and plan a strategy to tell lies to the Marikana Inquiry – and this went right to the top of the police service. Much of this evidence has only emerged recently as a result of the decision of the police officer detailed to destroy and manufacture evidence at this conference panicked when it was clear the SAPS were going to shaft him and he handed over a series of hard drives with the manufactured and hidden evidence over to the Inquiry.
    16. The ANC/SACP government has systematically hampered the work of the Marikana Inquiry, cutting funding to advocates of the killed and injured miners, depriving witnesses of adequate legal representatives
    17. The police have kidnapped and tortured witnesses at the Inquiry. Witnesses of police atrocities have been assassinated.

    Now all of this is primarily based on the evidence presented to the Marikana Inquiry. But that is not the whole story. Among the mine workers and the mining communities in Rustenburg (and now right throughout South Africa) you will struggle to find a single individual who believes that the Marikana massacre was not planned. This is based on their past experience and on the events around 16 August. In the year before the massacre the police had killed over 1800 people in South Africa. The police have systematically planned and used widespread violence in an attempt to suppress social unrest and strike action – including murdering numerous activists (sometimes involving assassinations).

    The Marikana massacre was designed as part of a strategy to suppress the rising militancy of the South Africa working class and drive them into submission through fear of death. It backfired spectacularly and has resulted in the complete undermining of the ANC in the eyes of the South African working class. It has sent shock waves through the South African ruling elites who are now scurrying around trying to prepare a plan B in the event of the ANC suffering a major defeat in the upcoming election (how this will pan out is still to be determined). The SACP has been fatally holed below the waterline as it now focuses on maintaining its union bureaucracy and fighting for control of large scale union assets. It is mired in as much corruption as the ANC.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,982

    Default Re: New Evidence - South African Police Planned Marikana Massacre

    A very good account that adds to the timeline I linked in the previous post. My difference is that I don't see the miners as hapless victims, but as absolutely determined to win their cause and as not at all times taking a pacifist approach to it.

    Although some miners paid with their lives, the miners won the strike, did they not ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    16,683

    Default Re: New Evidence - South African Police Planned Marikana Massacre

    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,409

    Default Re: New Evidence - South African Police Planned Marikana Massacre

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    A very good account that adds to the timeline I linked in the previous post. My difference is that I don't see the miners as hapless victims, but as absolutely determined to win their cause and as not at all times taking a pacifist approach to it.
    I never said that the miners were hapless victims and never said they were pacifists (I stated that the day of the Marikana massacre there was no conflict prior to the SAPS launching their attack at 4pm) - all strikes in South Africa require workers to be combat ready and willing to defend themselves from state repression. The strike wave that has now lasted more than a year has resulted in major pay increases across whole sectors of the economy but the main arena of class struggle has been in the mining sector as the mining companies attempt to cut the head off of the most combatitive sections of the workers through 'retrenchment' - something that continues to be a to and fro battle particularly in the Platinum sector.

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Although some miners paid with their lives, the miners won the strike, did they not ?
    The miners won a partial victory in achieving pay increases of between 15%-22%. The massacre led to a major strike wave across the entire Platinum sector that is still ongoing sporadically as workers resist 'retrenchment'. The efforts by AmPlats to sack 16,000 miners has been resisted now for 8 months and the AmPlats mines in Rustenburg are the key to the sector as they contain the best organised of the independent workers committees in the mining sector (coincidentally AmPlats is also the company with a significant DSM presence among the workforce). AmPlats employ about 120,000 miners. The Amplats workers have just returned to work after a 2 week strike where they forced AmPlats to drop demands for 3,500 compulsory redundancies (negotiations are currently underway about possible voluntary redundancies).

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,982

    Default Re: New Evidence - South African Police Planned Marikana Massacre

    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    I never said that the miners were hapless victims and never said they were pacifists (I stated that the day of the Marikana massacre there was no conflict prior to the SAPS launching their attack at 4pm) - all strikes in South Africa require workers to be combat ready and willing to defend themselves from state repression. The strike wave that has now lasted more than a year has resulted in major pay increases across whole sectors of the economy but the main arena of class struggle has been in the mining sector as the mining companies attempt to cut the head off of the most combatitive sections of the workers through 'retrenchment' - something that continues to be a to and fro battle particularly in the Platinum sector.


    The miners won a partial victory in achieving pay increases of between 15%-22%. The massacre led to a major strike wave across the entire Platinum sector that is still ongoing sporadically as workers resist 'retrenchment'. The efforts by AmPlats to sack 16,000 miners has been resisted now for 8 months and the AmPlats mines in Rustenburg are the key to the sector as they contain the best organised of the independent workers committees in the mining sector (coincidentally AmPlats is also the company with a significant DSM presence among the workforce). AmPlats employ about 120,000 miners. The Amplats workers have just returned to work after a 2 week strike where they forced AmPlats to drop demands for 3,500 compulsory redundancies (negotiations are currently underway about possible voluntary redundancies).

    The South African working class, from what I've read in your posts, is engaged in an extraordinary wages battle or epic proportions. Somewhat out of site, the Chinese working class has also achieved very big wage increases.

    This is a recording from the enquiry in which the content of emails between the Government and Lonmin, 24 hours before the massacre, in which the Government commits to action against the "criminal" strikers.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tt_9Q32cfg

    I wish there had been an enquiry this revealing into Bloody Sunday.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,409

    Default Re: New Evidence - South African Police Planned Marikana Massacre

    New evidence is now emerging of clear collusion between the mineowners at Lonmin, the police and the ANC government in the planning of the Marikana massacre.

    On Tuesday, 14 August, two days before the massacre, North West Police Commissioner Zukiswa Mbombo discussed the crisis with Barnard Mokoena, Lonmin executive vice president of human relations and external affairs who was representing the board of Lonmin mines.

    The meeting was recorded and transcribed by Lonmin, and it was discovered on a hard drive along with other evidence that police hid from the Marikana Inquiry.

    The meeting, which included a number of members but is dominated by North West Provincial Commissioner Mbombo and Lonmin’s Mokoena, features a dialogue on political influence and the need to curtail political involvement of individuals and groups that have an alternative agenda to the interests of the mineowners (namely those who campaign for the nationalisation of the mines in South Africa).

    During the meeting Mbombo refers to a conversation with the National Police Commissioner, Riah Phiyega, and also with the police minister Nathi Mthethwa, where both her superiors expressed the pressure they were under from Cyril Ramaphosa, then the major BEE shareholder in Lonmin. At that time, Ramaphosa was on the ANC NEC and served as the Chairman of ANC’s national disciplinary committee of appeals, and is now the ruling party’s deputy president.

    Discussing the police plan’s readiness, Mbombo says there will be 480 policemen ready. Thus: “Tomorrow when we go there for the second time now, that we were there today and they did not surrender, then it is blood.” Mbombo makes further comments complaining about the laws that protect citizens from being arbitrarily shot by police.

    Mokoena and Mbombo agreed that Lonmin must justify the police actions by instructing their workers to report for work in the morning or consider themselves fired. The police commissioner says that they must dupe the miners into believing the have won their battle, and then she asks Mokoena to delay the company helicopter dropping pamphlets to this effect until the next morning instead of during the night. This will ensure that the miners do not comply with the company order to return to work, and clears the way for the police plan to be implemented.

    Throughout the discussion there is a sense of urgency and Mbombo assures Lonmin that if the protestors do not hand over their weapons and submit peacefully (in other words – abandon the strike and submit to the interests of the mine owners), a plan of force will be implemented, she stresses police are ready to implement their plan.

    This new evidence confirms the drawing up of plans as outlined in the Ramaphosa emails that urged “action to address this situation” and the interconnection between the mining company, the police and the ANC/SACP government. It is now clear that the ANC/SACP intend to hang the killings on police commissioner Riah Phiyega in an attempt to deflect blame for the massacre from the government.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    3,845

    Default Re: New Evidence - South African Police Planned Marikana Massacre

    Like the police everywhere, the South African police do as they are told by the government. The South African government, like the Irish one, are deferential to foreign capitalist enterprises and workers are seen as a factor of production with marginal rights. It is clear that the South African government were on the side of the foreign mine owners and the police were used to teach a lesson to the strikers. It was, without question, a political decision to break the strike and not merely a law and order matter. The police were in the mood for a bloody confrontation and were first to shoot that day. They accomplished their mission to kill.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,409

    Default Re: New Evidence - South African Police Planned Marikana Massacre

    Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    The police were in the mood for a bloody confrontation and were first to shoot that day.
    The police planned the bloody confrontation - and were the only ones to shoot that day.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,982

    Default Re: New Evidence - South African Police Planned Marikana Massacre

    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    The police planned the bloody confrontation - and were the only ones to shoot that day.
    SAPS trained by US special forces in 2010.

    A group of South Africa's top police officers is currently brushing up on its crisis response skills in the United States.
    The course teaches officers how to use a number of means to deal with these situations, while focusing on the use of minimum force and protecting human life.
    The police officers will receive hands-on outdoor firearm training, raid and assault simulations and other crisis response skills to be used in an urban environment.
    For South African police, the training its officers will receive is a testament to their skills.
    "This training recognises the calibre of our elite Special Task Force officers, and also the solid relationship law enforcement in South Africa has with the United States," SAPS Special Task Force Commander, Brigadier Lucky Mkhwanazi, said.
    From the US perspective, the training programme represents the American government's commitment to its partnership with South Africa.
    "Our partnership with the SAPS is robust, and this training reflects our solid bilateral relationship. We look forward to pursuing more partnership opportunities," said Charge d'Affaires Helen La Lime.
    The training is part of the US State Department's Antiterrorism Assistance Programme, which since its launch in 1983, has trained more than 100 000 foreign law enforcement personnel from 160 countries.

    According the US Embassy, the programme provides training and equipment to foreign law enforcement and security organisations to enhance their capabilities and capacity to detect, deter, counter, and investigate terrorist activities. BuaNews
    http://www.skillsportal.co.za/page/e...S#.UmwArFMr7zs
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us