Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Learning a new language

Default Re: Learning a new language

Russian makes more sense though doesn't it-anyone East of Warsaw will have some grasp of it.

I was crossing over the Donau on a walk about today and wearing a Polish T shirt an old girlfriend(of sorts) had given me in France. A Polish couple came up to me and asked me to take their photo in Polish! With my A2 level spoken Polish I understood half the sentence but the waving of the camera was a bit of a give-away. Had a basic conversation with the limited number of words and sentences I have.

I might look at what the local university has to offer in a few weeks for continuing Polish. Might also be worth a consideration going there for work if I've trouble next year. People locally will probably wonder why not Czech-we are 19 miles from the border here. It would make sense if I did not already have a basic grasp of the other one and I have been warned never to learn two similar languages within even a few years of each other.

Slavic languages are going to be pretty big in the years ahead with all the political turmoil in that area and the growing Polish, Czech and Russian Speaking markets.

Nope there's only Russian and Czech locally. Ah well Tapes it is for the mo.

Czech is said to be phonetically transparent. The Donau. Old Celtic like many river names. Some say from the Goddess - Dana's river. More boringly I suppose it could be 'brown river'. You can see why I struggle to acquire language. Mind like a giant cobweb , full of junk.

But is Czech really transparent ap? I mean they say that about Welsh...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345