Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Indo journalist Gemma O'Doherty forced out after Garda Commissioner penalty points doorstep

Default Re: Indo journalist Gemma O'Doherty forced out after Garda Commissioner penalty points doorstep

There is very deep worry about this and the silence of the print media and RTE is quite sinister. The NUJ should demand that Gemma O'Doherty is reinstated. No journalist is safe if this is allowed to stand.

If I ever bought it, I would be suggesting a boycott of the Independent.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: Indo journalist Gemma O'Doherty forced out after Garda Commissioner penalty points doorstep

Given the expertise on display during a certain legal dispute with a certain Bozo Benito Ganley, I shed no tears.

John Burns' piece on Gemma O'Doherty in the ST Culture Section. The only new detail I see there is that O'Doherty spent four hours giving a statement to the Gardai on the Molloy case.

A vehicle registered to Rae, editor-in-chief of the Irish Independent and other INM titles, accrued penalty points at 6.37am on November 5, 2009 at the N11, Belfield, Dublin before the points were terminated.

The Irish Post contacted Mr Rae, who said: “I’m not commenting.”

The Garda Press Office have also been contacted in respect of this incident but they said they “do not comment on individual cases.”

Stephen Rae is a former editor of Garda Review magazine and was editor of The Irish Independent when Gemma O’Doherty approached the home of Garda commissioner Martin Callinan, seeking to confirm that he had penalty points wiped out.
    http://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/wipe...or-stephen-rae

Well, at least Burns has written about this, although using his piece to slur people who wrote before him as "conspiracy theorists" takes the shine off his effort.

He fails to mention that O'Doherty was the only person who was made compulsority redundant or that there have been international protests about this. His approach that this is a "human and resources and personal issue" ignores the fact that many feel it has wider significance, and that the NUJ has made a statement on it.

Sad really.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Could there be a case for constructive dismissal or should I not speculate at this point?
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    Could there be a case for constructive dismissal or should I not speculate at this point?
    Apparently there is an ongoing legal issue and none of the parties involved are commenting at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    Apparently there is an ongoing legal issue and none of the parties involved are commenting at the moment.
    These things used to be dealt with by Trade Unions, not quangoes.

She should be reinstated.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    These things used to be dealt with by Trade Unions, not quangoes.

She should be reinstated.
    I don't believe she ever should have been hired in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Bar View Post
    I don't believe she ever should have been hired in the first place.
    Well, that is another question. But whatever about the suitability of journalists for their positions, they should not be run out of it for doing their job.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Well, that is another question. But whatever about the suitability of journalists for their positions, they should not be run out of it for doing their job.
    Yeah. Suppose I'll give you that.

Roy Greenslade returns to the O'Doherty case in today's Guardian.
    Why is Ireland's mainstream media so reluctant to report the fact that the editor of the Irish Independent, Stephen Rae, had penalty points deducted from his driving licence?
    It would be an interesting story at any time. But it has a special relevance because of Rae's firing of a reporter following her approach to the head of the Irish police force about his also having had penalty points erased from his driving record.
    An Irish Post reporter spoke to Rae - a former editor of the Garda Review magazine - who said: "I'm not commenting." Rae did not respond to my phone call, just as he did not when I wrote about O'Doherty's firing.A Garda press office spokesman told me: "We don't comment on individual persons. It would not be appropriate to do so."
    But the evidence of the quashing of Rae's points has been verified by one of two Garda whistleblowers who have revealed hundreds of examples where senior officers abused their discretionary power to annul penalty points. There has been an inquiry into the scandal by the Dail, Ireland's parliament.
    So I repeat: why is the Rae story, like the story of the firing of Gemma O'Doherty before it, being ignored by the Irish media?
    The media exist to hold power to account. Given that the Indo is owned by the largest and most powerful media company in the Republic,Independent News & Media, it should be scrutinised by its rivals.
    Journalists should police each other or the public they serve will think there is some kind of special treatment for the media élite. (The British phone-hacking saga was a case in point).
    The absence of coverage in Ireland of the Rae story implies a cover-up.
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/gre...endent-ireland

Roy Greenslade returns to the O'Doherty case in today's Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/gre...endent-ireland
    It really is a disgrace. I guess it is the good old phenomenon of watching each others' backs?

Burns report in the Sunday Times reserved all its ire for the "conspiracy theorists" on the internet who suggest that these mutually beneficial arrangements are corrupt.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Dublin is a very small place. Very few Irish journalists can be certain that they won't be looking for a job in the INM stable one day or another.

Dublin is a very small place. Very few Irish journalists can be certain that they won't be looking for a job in the INM stable one day or another.
    I know.

Well, none of them need come looking for a well paid job around here
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast