Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Indo journalist Gemma O'Doherty forced out after Garda Commissioner penalty points doorstep

Default Re: Indo journalist Gemma O'Doherty forced out after Garda Commissioner penalty points doorstep

Once Deano got rid of Sam Smith that was that the NUJ are useless

Default Re: Indo journalist Gemma O'Doherty forced out after Garda Commissioner penalty points doorstep

Quote Originally Posted by peachcove View Post
    Once Deano got rid of Sam Smith that was that the NUJ are useless
    Stand up for your rights... if you want to have any.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

From the Guardian

Stephen Rae, editor-in-chief of the Dublin-based Independent titles, was also furious at O'Doherty's action. Rae is a former editor of the Garda Review magazine.
    Well well.

O'Doherty's subsequent enforced departure from the Independent has received no coverage in the rest of the Irish mainstream media.
    But she has had backing from the National Union of Journalists. Its Irish secretary, Seamus Dooley, said: "We believe she has been badly treated and has a case for unfair dismissal."
    There was a time when a Union would have demanded reinstatement, not a few weeks salary compo.

Impressive support:

There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and shame the devil. Gemma had no problem doing that. It is high time that others followed her lead.
    We await an explanation from you, to your readers and the Irish public, as to why you have treated such a fine journalist in this way.
    It is signed by Catherine Costelloe (Searching for the Missing/Irish Families for Justice/ex-Scotland Yard); Liz Molloy (Justice for Fr Molloy, Roscommon/Offaly); Lucia O'Farrell (Justice for Shane O'Farrell, Monaghan); John Nugent (Justice for Patrick Nugent, Clare);
    Nancy Shanahan (Justice for Aongus Shanahan, Limerick); Julia Walsh (Justice for Desmond Walsh, Limerick); Genevieve and Walter Smith (Victims of Garda harassment, Cavan); Nuala O'Gabhnain(Justice for Jim Goonan, Offaly); David Walsh (Justice for Mary and Molly Walsh, Waterford).
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Another protest at Talbot Street yesterday http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/09/17/meanwhile-at-inm/

It was Gemma O'Doherty who also reported FF TD Robert Troy had penalty points wiped

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-29253187.html

It is not unlikely she has information or would report on other 'names' in public life

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FIVE View Post
    Another protest at Talbot Street yesterday http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/09/17/meanwhile-at-inm/
    The protests are la creme de la creme - whistleblower Guard in attendance -

Via Broadsheet.ie

He originally made a complaint about the quashing of points through the Garda Confidential Recipient in March 2012, which was sent on to the Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan.
    He says after several months passed, and after he received no response from the Commissioner, he contacted United Left Alliance TD Clare Daly. Ms Daly, along with several other TDs, went on to name people who had penalty points quashed in the Dáil, last December.
    Lucia O’Farrell, from Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan, lost her 23-year-old son Shane in a hit-and-run on August 2, 2011. The man who struck Shane, Zigimantas Gridzuiska, 39, had 42 previous convictions in three different jurisdictions, was found not guilty of dangerous driving causing death. Judge Pat McCartan had directed a jury to find him not guilty in Dublin Circuit Criminal Court. Judge McCartan ordered him to leave the country.
    Catherine Costelloe, from Limerick, used to work with the London Metropolitan Police and when she returned to Limerick she became involved in helping families of missing people. Today she spends much of her time trying to find out the truth behind the cases and to find their bodies with Search For The Missing.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Update from the journal.ie this evening:
    Seamus Dooley, secretary of the National Union of Journalists, told TheJournal.ie that the union views O’Doherty’s redundancy “as an unfair and unjust dismissal”.“The NUJ chapel at Independent Newspapers passed a motion last month reaffirming total opposition to the imposition of any compulsory redundancy,” he said.
    Senator John Gilroy also raised the issue in the Seanad today, telling his colleagues it should raise concerns for all diplomats “when an investigative journalist of Ms O’Doherty’s standing has been sacked”.
    A spokesperson for Independent News & Media did not respond to a request for comment. When contacted by TheJournal.ie, Gemma O’Doherty declined to comment “for legal reasons”.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/nuj-gemma-o...urce=shortlink

I suppose the quote from John Gilroy is meant to refer to 'democrats' and not 'diplomats'

big stir among international hacks

http://muckrack.com/link/2pxM/contro...ive-journalist

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FIVE View Post
    Surely can't be buried by the Irish media any longer.

Il tweet it again tomorrow, may try get it up on rabble & broadsheet

smoke them out

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

http://ht.ly/p1kik

Transparency International

The sacking of an award-winning investigative journalist who had reported on Garda malpractice could deter other reporters from exposing the abuse of power in Ireland. Gemma O’Doherty, an investigative reporter and chief features writer at the Irish Independent newspaper, was dismissed last month. The Guardian newspaper reports that her dismissal followed an investigation into the cancellation of penalty points awarded against Martin Callinan, the Garda (Irish Police) Commissioner.
    Late last year, TI Ireland also highlighted the potential chilling effect of legal threats against Irish journalists and commentators during a meeting with the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders. The Special Rapporteur expressed concern about the threat of litigation against Irish journalists in her report to the UN General Assembly. She called for aggrieved parties to use the Press Council and Press Ombudsman to resolve complaints about the fairness and accuracy of coverage.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

John Burns of the ST:
    john burns ‏@JohnBurnsST18 Sep
    @frmolloy My Media Player column in Sunday Times Culture will be devoted to Gemma O'Doherty this Sunday
    https://twitter.com/JohnBurnsST

http://www.kildarestreet.com/search/...ment%3A5639204

Seanad yesterday

John Gilroy

I seek a debate on the freedom of the press in light of disturbing reports I have heard in respect of the sacking in recent weeks of an award-winning investigative journalist, Gemma O'Doherty. Some of her work has been raised on the floor of this House. This case has been reported extensively in international media and social media but it does not seem to have generated any traction in our domestic media. When any journalist is sacked it is noteworthy, but when an investigative journalist of Ms O'Doherty's standing is sacked this must raise great concerns for all democrats. I hope the Leader may arrange, at his earliest convenience, a debate in general terms on the freedom of the press.
    Martin Conway

I was also deeply disturbed to hear about the sacking of Ms Gemma O'Doherty. I was not aware of it. I know her and know her to be a very fine, capable, passionate and determined journalist. I am sure she will have no problem picking up alternative employment with another publication. I would like to know more about how the sacking happened and the reasons for it. She certainly drove the Fr. Niall Molloy case in recent times, an injustice of which we are all aware.
    John Kelly

I compliment Ms Gemma O'Doherty on her great work in the Fr. Niall Molloy case. She took it from nothing to being fairly and squarely on the desk of the Minister for Justice and Equality, who promised before the last election an independent commission of inquiry into the death of Fr. Molloy after everything else had been addressed. The cold case investigation has been concluded, the Director of Public Prosecutions, DPP, has made a ruling and the matter is now with the Minister. Given the great work done by Ms O'Doherty, I call strongly on the Minister to allow the commission of inquiry to go ahead.
    Fidelma

Like others, I am worried about the sacking of Ms O'Doherty. She was expressing her right to report on various stories. For some reason or other, however, she has been sacked. A debate on the freedom of the press and journalists' rights must be considered.
    Paul Coughlan

I also wish to compliment Ms Gemma O'Doherty on her research and writing on the Fr. Niall Molloy case. I have spoken on this matter before, as have several other Members. I agree very much with what has been said earlier today by Senator Kelly. Hopefully, now that the matter is with the Minister, something will be done.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast