Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Day At School!

Default Re: First Day At School!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    T'was a Mad world back then, you can't really explain no matter how hard you try just how nutty those environments were. Somewhere between Hogwarts on a really bad day and Oliver Twist would be about right, and then you went home to normality, Wanderly Wagon and Star Trek on TV in suburbia.
    I'm glad you got to go home to normality every day. (I liked Primary School. At least we could run in the playground and our scratches and grazes would be patched up by the nuns whom I liked.. Apparently that is banned now for fear of litigation. ) But five years in a secondary boarding school with no visit home for three to four months at a time, awful. At least I was not in an industrial school or a laundry. The French Sisters ran some of those and have yet to make a general apology. They are discussed in the Ryan report.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    I'm glad you got to go home to normality every day. (I liked Primary School. At least we could run in the playground and our scratches and grazes would be patched up by the nuns whom I liked.. Apparently that is banned now for fear of litigation. ) But five years in a secondary boarding school with no visit home for three to four months at a time, awful. At least I was not in an industrial school or a laundry. The French Sisters ran some of those and have yet to make a general apology. They are discussed in the Ryan report.
    Boarding school sounds really tough emotionally.

We only had the nuns for Baby infants and Senior infants, then we were sent to the Christian Brothers for proper primary school. Real boys stuff, Lord Of The Flies physicality and that was just the gangs in the school yard. Most of the lay teachers were as sadistic as the Brothers, at least the Brothers were stuck in a warped environment and had some excuse for being mental, while the bad Lay Teachers were pillars of the community who were just bad minded.

There was very little of any of that in Secondary school at all, which was quite a culture shock.

School was no fun for a lot of us.

I don't remember my first day at school at all. What still remains seared in the memory is the roasting I got from teachers and my mother one day for putting my hand up girls' dresses.
    I couldn't even have been six at that stage so surely ignorance was a valid defense...

I did a year of pre-school before starting in Low Babies with the Sisters Of Mercy. It wasn't a like creche or montessori, or anything so posh as that, but a big cavernous room in the local playground where gangs of us under the age of four could be sent to be supervised by the nuns while Mom and Dad were at work. Typical of many working class families of the day.

Like many of you have mentioned already, the first and earliest memory was of the nerve-wracking reality of being left alone in the company of strangers for the first time. It came as a shock. Then the sisters planted a big lump of mála in front of each of us and we were made up.

Another little distraction they gave us were these multitudes of brightly coloured straws, and a bucket full of little attachment gizmos to hold them together in whatever shape shape took your fancy. The simplest design was to make deep-sea diving goggles, complete with a little blow-hole attachment to help you breathe in the imaginary dark waters of the raging oceans beneath the desks. We'd make our goggles and slide under the desk, swimming hither and thither with our cheeks puffed out full of air, blowing imaginary bubbles as we dived deeper and deeper towards the ocean floor, where the monsters lived.

One time I decided to combine the straw goggles with some mála goggles for extra protection against the oceanic elements and again went swimming under the desks. Loads of the other kids thought the mála goggles were an absolute necessity, so copy-cats being copy-cats, soon enough we were all at it.

Between the heat of the classroom and the bumping into all manner of things subterranean, the mála set fast in our eyebrows and fringes and the nuns went into hysterics trying to pull it out again. They couldn't get the mush out though, and at the end of the day when our parents came to collect us, they were horrified at the state of us.

Result: next morning several kids showed up without any eyebrows. They'd been shaved off. Also, there were a gang load of us with radically uneven fringes to our hair, where chunks had to be hacked off to get the mála out.

We were banned from deep sea diving after that.

Sometimes I wish could relive my secondary school days. The banter and the fact that really you didn't have the problems you have when you leave school like unemployment, working or doing college which is far harder than secondary school. You just sat at a desk for most of the day, had the weekend off and only had to worry about exams.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12