Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazon Post?

Default Re: Amazon Post?

Amazon has now overtaken Alphabet/Google to become the 2nd most valuable company in the world, behind Apple, and on current trends will probably overtake Apple in a year or two.
    https://www.investors.com/news/techn...uable-company/

As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Amazon has effectively caught up with Apple.......

$2.4B/day: Amazon hit a $1T valuation this week, becoming the second company to do so, after Apple. It took the tech giant 165 trading days to reach the 13-figure benchmark from its $600B valuation in January. (In other words, it grew at an average of $2.4B per trading day.) Together, Amazon and Apple now make up over 8% of the entire value of the S&P 500. Our Amazon research covers everything from Amazon’s moves in financial services to how the company aims to transform the healthcare space. See it all here.

As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

When Amazon invited cities to compete for its second global headquarters a year ago today, it got reams of data from the 238 entrants — enough to learn details of the cities' future plans that a lot of their residents don't even know about, Axios' Erica Pandey reports.

• Why it matters: The information effectively provided Amazon with a database of granular details about the economic development prospects of every major metropolitan area in the United States (and some in Canada).
    • The database could help with expansion decisions that go way beyond HQ2.

Amazon's warehouses are within 20 miles of 31% of the U.S. population, while Walmart owns stores within 20 miles of 98% of the population, says Cooper Smith, an industry analyst at Gartner L2.

US senator Bernie Sanders has it out for Amazon. On Sept. 5, Sanders introduced a bill—the unsubtle “Stop Bad Employers by Zeroing Out Subsidies Act” or Stop BEZOS Act—that would tax employers whose workers depend on government-assistance programs such as SNAP and rental subsidies. Roundly criticized for effectively encouraging companies to hire fewer low-income workers, the Stop BEZOS Act is unlikely to live up to its name.

But the political pressure on Amazon isn’t going anywhere. In addition to its (brief) $1 trillion market value and the $167 billion personal fortune of its CEO, Amazon faces a drumbeat of worker complaints, unionizing efforts from employees at Whole Foods, fatigue with its game-show-like hunt for a new headquarters, persistent rumblings about antitrust, and Congress souring on big tech. It’s clear the company should be wary of Washington.

Amazon, of course, knows this, even if it wouldn’t admit it. That might be why three of the 20 cities on Amazon’s HQ2 shortlist were in the DC metro area, why Bezos is spending $12 million to renovatehis $23-million DC mansion, and why Bezos this week made his biggest-ever campaign contribution, donating $10 million to a PACthat supports military veterans running for Congress on both sides of the aisle.

For most of its history, Amazon’s main concern was keeping customers happy and profit-hungry investors at bay. These days, the money is pouring in. Alexa is a hit, the stock is up more than 60% since January, and Amazon is crushing competitors with mere announcements. It’s become difficult to even define what Amazon is as a company. But that won’t stop it from being a target for critics.—Alison Griswold

scariest thing i read today is that Amazon is trying to patent a completely robotized man cage to transport people between warehouse locations

basically you enter in a metal box (same type they put underwater to protect scientists studying sharks) and the robot locks ya up and moves the cage around the store/field/warehouse to make sure the workin' bee gets job done

next imagine the BostonRobotics dogs keeping guard

#F*ckBeZos

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    scariest thing i read today is that Amazon is trying to patent a completely robotized man cage to transport people between warehouse locations

basically you enter in a metal box (same type they put underwater to protect scientists studying sharks) and the robot locks ya up and moves the cage around the store/field/warehouse to make sure the workin' bee gets job done

next imagine the BostonRobotics dogs keeping guard

#F*ckBeZos
    Even though I rarely buy from Amazon and don't have a Prime membership, or rarely shop at Whole Foods, I have a generally favorable view of Bezos. I like his disruptive ethos.
    I'm a Musk fan too, but he is testing the limits of my tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Even though I rarely buy from Amazon and don't have a Prime membership, or rarely shop at Whole Foods, I have a generally favorable view of Bezos. I like his disruptive ethos.
    I'm a Musk fan too, but he is testing the limits of my tolerance.
    both are megalomaniac but Bezos has his brain IQ/EQ in the right place for now, busineswise he's got too big for his own good... he is focused

the other one has his mind on 10 simultaneously massive projects and just went off the rails lately ..

i feel that Musk is a lot more likely to fail than Bezos, there is something wrong with him (bipolar, maniac-depressive at the very least)

Jeff Bezos gave a master class on life and business onstage in Washington last night, with this keeper advice: "All of my best decisions in business and in life have been made with heart, intuition, guts, ... not analysis."

• "If you can make a decision with analysis, you should do so. But it turns out in life that your most important decisions are always made with instinct and intuition."

"Everything I have ever done has started small," Bezos added, drawing laughter at the 32nd anniversary dinner of the Economic Club of Washington, D.C.:

• "Amazon [now with 500,000 employees] ... started with five people."
    • "It's hard to remember for you guys, but for me it's like yesterday I was driving the packages to the post office myself, and hoping one day we could afford a forklift."

Amazon's president, CEO and chairman was interviewed at the Washington Hilton for 70 minutes by David Rubenstein, co-founder and co-executive chairman of The Carlyle Group (one of the world’s largest private equity firms), and president of the Economic Club.

• After a long answer, Rubenstein joked: "I'm not used to cutting off the richest man in the world."

Bezos, 54, owns The Washington Post, where today he'll cut the ribbon on a newsroom expansion to accommodate 850 journalists and 350 engineers. He drew applause with his defense of the press:

• "What the president should say is, 'This is right. This is good. I'm glad I'm being scrutinized.' And that would be so secure and confident."
    • "But it's really dangerous to demonize the media. ... It's dangerous to say that they're the enemy of the people."

Turning to business best practices, Bezos said he sets his first meeting at 10 a.m.:

• "I go to bed early and I get up early. I like to putter in the morning. So I like to read the newspaper. I like to have coffee. I like have breakfast with my kids before they go to school."
    • "I do my high-IQ meetings before lunch. Like anything that's going to be really mentally challenging, that's a 10 o'clock meeting. And by 5 p.m., I'm like, 'I can't think about that today. Let's try this again tomorrow at 10 a.m.'"

Bezos said he gets eight hours of sleep:

• "I prioritize it. ... I think better. I have more energy. My mood is better."
    • "As a senior executive, you get paid to make a small number of high-quality decisions. Your job is not to make thousands of decisions every day."
    • "Is that really worth it if the quality of those decisions might be lower because you're tired or grouchy?"

"All of our senior executives operate the same way I do. They work in the future, they live in the future."

• "Right now, I'm working on a quarter that's going to reveal itself in 2021 sometime."
    • "If I make, like, three good decisions a day, that's enough."
    • "Warren Buffett says he's good if he makes three good decisions a year." [Laughter].

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12