Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Egypt - Revolution or Military Dictatorship ? -/Death Penalty for 722 announced

Default Re: Egypt - Revolution or Military Dictatorship ? -/Death Penalty for 722 announced

Guilio Regeni, Italian Phd student, researching the Egyptian labour movement, and a critic of the Sisi regime, has been buried in Italy.
    He died after more than a week of terrible torture, after having reportedly been held by the Egyptian police.

This article is asking, do we now get to pay attention too to the many Egyptians who have died or disappeared.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opi...073847559.html
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: Egypt - Revolution or Military Dictatorship ? -/Death Penalty for 722 announced

http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2016/0...d-uncertainty/

Political activist Mahienour El-Massry also sent a letter on the occasion of the fifth anniversary of the revolution, in which she said that even in her cell, she is still filled with hopes and dreams.

El-Massry said many people believe that the revolution was defeated, whilst others believe that the revolution is the best thing that could have happened. In her opinion, however, Egyptians are still on the journey to build a humane and just society.
    “We made mistakes sometimes, we were defeated sometimes, we were arrogant sometimes and hopeless at other times but we are still in the fighting ring,” she said.
    She explained that what happened taught people some lessons; the first of which is that there is no individual salvation and attempts of escaping are not going to help. Not only are innocent political activists behind bars but there are also innocent citizens who were framed or have fallen into debt or are serving sentences instead of others.
    “The revolution is humane by nature and causes us to reject injustice, so if we accept injustice against one person, it reaches all of us,” she said. “The honour of trying is not sufficient. Believers in freedom have to unify themselves, just as the counter revolution unites the others.”
    El-Massry concluded her letter by saying that “the revolution is ongoing just as life and dreams are ongoing”.
    Mahienour El-Massry was sentenced to one year and three months in prison earlier this year over charges of breaking into Al-Raml Police station, demonstrating violence, and assaulting policemen in Alexandria 2013 during the era of the ousted president Mohammed Morsi

The anniversary also marks the detention of Mahmoud Mohammed, who was arrested two years ago for wearing a t-shirt that had “A state without torture” printed on it.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Scores more death sentences and long jail sentences confirmed in Egypt against Morsi, other political figures, and journalists.

There are more than 70 journalists in jail in Egypt currently.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/0...062408884.html

The most brutal repression is going on to attempt to suppress permanently the 'risen people' of Egypt but ultimately it will not work. It may take ten years or more, but sooner or later they will go again and when they do they will know that the armed forces have to be completely dismantled, done away with and replaced with a citizens army.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Ibrahim Halawa now aged 21 has written an open letter to the people of Ireland.

The letter, issued by his family, follows:
    “Dear Ireland,
    I really don’t know what to say, I have been taken away from you for so long. But I miss you dearly. It’s really out of my hands. I can’t understand, I just can’t understand why they have kidnapped me away from you. So young I was while you were teaching me how to live, laugh, love and care. But they have taken me away before you had the time to teach me how to struggle, how to deal with evil and hatred.
    When I was young I used to run to you whenever I was sad and needed to complain about my humongous kiddie problems. The time my Mum delayed getting me the latest PlayStation game when all the other friends had it. Or when I wasn’t allowed stay out late at night. And when I entered secondary school and exams were much tougher than before. Or that time I came to complain about my first teenage love.
    Do you remember when I came running to you crying about the kid who screamed at me saying “go back to your country” and as usual you were crying rain and I was relieved because you were sharing my crying. But now that I’m growing up away from you and banned from talking to you, who am I supposed to complain to now that my kiddie worldly problems turned out to be just a drop in the ocean.

Ireland, I really need to complain to you about how one human enjoys torturing another human, the continues injustice, the oppression and the killing of the innocent. Ireland I’m lusting to walk on the sand of Bray beach, screaming freedom from the top of the Cliffs of Moher, your rainforest trees to hug me tight and make me feel safe again and that kind bus driver on the daily commute, smiling at me even thought he does not know me.
    Ireland I really want to complain to you about the people my parents voted for, to protect me in any land and under any sky, and have failed to bring me back to you. Now I understand that you were not crying this rains with me but you were crying because of what the world holds for me
    One final wish, I beg from you, if I die away from you take me back from them to be buried in your soil to feel your goodbye tears.”
    Ibrahim Halawa,
    Wadi el Natroun Prison
    29/11/2016”

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...them-1.2887899
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Oops! Don't quote me..............

WITH FRIENDS LIKE THESE ... NYT A1, "Tapes Reveal Egyptian Leaders' Tacit Acceptance of Jerusalem Move," by David Kirkpatrick: "As President Trump moved last month to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, an Egyptian intelligence officer quietly placed phone calls to the hosts of several influential talk shows in Egypt.

"'Like all our Arab brothers,' Egypt would denounce the decision in public, the officer, Capt. Ashraf al-Kholi, told the hosts. But strife with Israel was not in Egypt's national interest, Captain Kholi said. He told the hosts that instead of condemning the decision, they should persuade their viewers to accept it. Palestinians, he suggested, should content themselves with the dreary West Bank town that currently houses the Palestinian Authority, Ramallah.

"'How is Jerusalem different from Ramallah, really?' Captain Kholi asked repeatedly in four audio recordings of his telephone calls obtained by The New York Times." http://nyti.ms/2m0So1g

As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223