Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clare Daly and the Shamful Shamrockery

Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!

Default Re: Clare Daly and the Shamful Shamrockery

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    What would you expect Kenny or any Taoiseach to say under the circumstances?
    Presumably, he was invited by Cameron as a courtesy. Cameron was under no obligation to invite him. Had he behaved as Daly apparently would, he'd have just squandered political capital for no apparent benefit, and probably ended up an international laughingstock.
    You can have good relations with another country without debasing yourself to something between a doormat and a token hobgoblin.
    It was Cameron´s show and the British government extended a courtesy to ours in inviting the Taoiseach to attend, but obviously
    as Ireland is not, nor ever will be a G8 country, he could only be a bit player in someone else´s party. Instead, fawning obsequiousness
    kicked in at every level and it was nauseating to behold.
    Kenny ended up talking to Daly as it he was again the schoolteacher having caught her, the 12 year old pupil using the "f" word in the school yard.
    Clown.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    You can have good relations with another country without debasing yourself to something between a doormat and a token hobgoblin.
    It was Cameron´s show and the British government extended a courtesy to ours in inviting the Taoiseach to attend, but obviously
    as Ireland is not, nor ever will be a G8 country, he could only be a bit player in someone else´s party. Instead, fawning obsequiousness
    kicked in at every level and it was nauseating to behold.
    Kenny ended up talking to Daly as it he was again the schoolteacher having caught her, the 12 year old pupil using the "f" word in the school yard.
    Clown.
    Thx. but that doesn’t really answer my question which was: What do you think Kenny or any Taoiseach should have said?

On the theory that the first question asked, is the most important one, she asked:

"Is the US President seeking the hypocrite of the century award?"

and that is just vacuous plain and simple. How would any Taoiseach “know” much less answer such a question? What is to be gained by answering either in the affirmative or negative?

The second:

"Is it not the case that he has showcased us a nation of pimps prostituting ourselves in return for a pat on the head?"

is not much better. It was designed to elicit a "No" or otherwise evasive answer What if Kenny had said yes?

Neither question is fact based, and both are opinion oriented. She might have used her time better if she had asked about any substantive outcome from Kenny’s talk with Christine Lagarde.

She did subsequently ask legitimate questions about US use of Shannon, but as a guest on the sidelines, the G8 was hardly the place for Kenny to raise that topic, and no Irish government, much less opposition TD’s, are likely to get satisfactory answers on that issue. So those questions too were misplaced, since they could be asked at any time. They do not need a G8 meeting to support them.

I'm reinforced in the view that she was grandstanding.

But it did prompt me to dig up this piece on the Shannon issue which is about the best I’ve seen on the subject. I'm not sure, but I suspect the author of the piece, Dennis Lehane, is the US novelist of the same name. Anyone know of another Dennis Lehane? It's a 15 minute read. He dismisses the Irish media in one word, supine.

The nub of it is that US military money is a significant help in keeping Shannon alive, and no Irish government really wants to upset the applecart. I just looked up Shannon's traffic numbers, down from 3.2M in 2008, to 1.4M in 2012. That's tough to live with.

The Shannon Connection: Do U.S. Military Flights Threaten Irish ...

www.dcbureau.org/.../the-shannon-connection-do-u-s-military-flights-th...‎
    Apr 13, 2011 – The U.S. military needs the Shannon Airport stopover to refuel because it does not use today's aircraft. It tends to use old and near obsolete .
    There is no First Amendment guaranteeing the freedom of the press in Ireland. If there was, it would not do any good. Irish journalists are part of the problem. They should be the solution.

The last thing the Irish government wants is for Irish soldiers to board a Gulfstream and find a prisoner who has been tortured chained to the floor. At a stroke, all the money for Shannon would go and the government would have a lame duck airport in the west of Ireland on its hands. So as X told Jonathan Benton, apparently in 2004, whatever the U.S. is doing via Shannon, if it is illegal and contrary to the terms of the honor code, it must stay hidden and the Irish government won’t go looking for it. That would be an exercise of Irish sovereignty and the last thing the Irish government wants to do is that at Shannon.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Clare seems to be going viral among Tea Partiers..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnJCvKA-oEU&sns=tw

It shows what a left-wing TD can do when they have the bottle.
    Where are the others? The 'Silence of the Left' is deafening.

And Paddy Joe why call the million+ viewers of the You Tube clip Tea Partiers? Is that just the usual anti-left gratuitous insult or is there some way of knowing who the viewers of You Tube are?

Jaysus one million libertarians have looked at her. Well fair play to her for bollocking them as they deserve. Shower of servile gombeens

Great stuff. Thanks for the link. She is an example to us all.

Sorry, I can't listen to at these links. Can someone tell me what Clare is saying?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123