Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: The things people stick on lampposts thread.

Default Re: The things people stick on lampposts thread.

from the Insufferably Intolerant Science Nerd FB Page
    (hope you can read the entire thing)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trans.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	1231  

from the Insufferably Intolerant Science Nerd FB Page

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trans.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	1231
    (click to enlarge)

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Neither graffiti nor street art (unless in the sense of unintended comedy) but a memorable Dublin "Street" moment -

Obama's armoured limo gets stuck on a speed bump -

Love this comment from the "Secret Service" named spokesperson --

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ered-ramp.html
    That was a classic. About 2mins after that happened I got a text from a wise guy friend saying "they say the smell in Obama's limo is only dreadful". Didn't get the joke until later when I saw what had happened.

Here is the video of the performance, notice the three heroic Guards one in uniform to the right of the gate. "Fk this...I'm out of here" seems to be the attitude.

For some reason it reminds me of the time when a protester gently backed a truck up to the gates of the Dáil.

The first reports from the Guards had them jumping for their lives out of the way of a mad truck-driving maniac before they heroically saved the day by wrestling the lunatic to the ground.

Luckily the protester had some people filming the event and when the images of Guards strolling around the lorry came out there was no more talk of near death experiences.

appearing all around Dunlaoghaire:

Now removed graffiti, Dunlaoghaire, would be very pertinent now:

Terenure:

nice footage of the whole affair... it's like something broke as they went over the bumper? g-d knows how much led that limo carries..

also a potentially dangerous situation for Obama .. .although i know you guys are a friendly bunch ...

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    nice footage of the whole affair... it's like something broke as they went over the bumper? g-d knows how much led that limo carries..

also a potentially dangerous situation for Obama .. .although i know you guys are a friendly bunch ...
    he was safe enough there mate.... now if it was the other side of the liffey.... knackeragua....

It was certainly a major ****-up, even bearing in mind the limo is apparently not only bullet proof but explosion-proof.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

nice footage of the whole affair... it's like something broke as they went over the bumper?
    They went in one gate which was fine but tried to come out another gate......which was not fine at all at all at all.
    The Limo was so long it caught its undercarriage on the bump going out. It did a lot of damage. The limo had to be shipped back to the US for repairs. Rumor had it that the driver spent the rest of his career driving the lawnmower around the whitehouse.

We have form in such matters. The Aircraft carrier the John F Kennedy was holed twice by a Port of Cork pontoon when it paid its first and last visit to Ireland. When it was anchored in Dublin Bay the great and the good of Irish society led by Taoiseach John Bruton had a splendid time partying onboard.

The Knight of Glin, Desmond FitzGerald, pint of Budweiser in hand, said he was "so relieved that we weren't all barracked by protesters as we left the quay side".
    Ms Liz O'Donnell TD, the PD spokeswomen on justice, said she was only here for The Corrs, the Dundalk group which livened things up later.
    Cllr Kieran Cuffe of the Green Party, a relative of the US ambassador, Ms Jean Kennedy Smith, said he had come out earlier and "got lost on the ship, stumbling into an empty cinema which was playing Top Gun." White suited sailors mingled with the guests as the Taoiseach, Mr Bruton, and the US ambassador delivered almost inaudible speeches. Then it was over to the colour party minus any sign of a Tricolour and the playing of both national anthems.
    From here: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/jfk-j...he-bay-1.64315

Another case, was when in 1987 the Chinese sent over several of their Terracotta Army.

Scaffolding was dropped on several of the exhibits with predictable results. I seem to remember at the time it was reported that trainee scaffolders from Fás were on the job.
    When next you are having a hard day just think of the poor fker who had to make the phone call to the Chinese Embassy to tell them their 3,000 year old priceless treasures were now in bits. "Hello Mr Ambassador. Yes indeed it is a fine day. Very well thank you and you? Good to hear that. Now I suppose you are wondering why I called, welllll........" JEEPERS! S/He earned their money that day.

Report:
    http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1985/An...4b5e24be39e95b

An iron bar holding overhead lights fell Tuesday night and lopped the arm off one of the nine warriors exhibited in a Dublin hall.
    Early the next morning, a section of scaffolding fell as a workman tried to move it, decapitating one of the two war horses, exhibition organizers said.

-------------------
    Now you see it:

Now you don't:

Luckily I took a pic on the day I noticed this graffiti. The next day it was gone.

The fountain is a beautiful feature, regardless of the fact that it was erected in 1901 to commemorate her visit the previous year.

http://archiseek.com/2010/1900-queen...ire-co-dublin/

-

In the olden days both the IRA and the UVF would stamp coins as propaganda.
    I had one of each at one time but now can only find this one.

-

Cuala, the Dalkey based GAA club are in the all Ireland hurling finals against Baile Aodha.

Great support in the area for them:

More about the St Patrick's day final:

http://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/previ...oughlin-gaels/
    Last edited by eamo; 10-03-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eamo View Post

Another case, was when in 1987 the Chinese sent over several of their Terracotta Army.

Scaffolding was dropped on several of the exhibits with predictable results. I seem to remember at the time it was reported that trainee scaffolders from Fás were on the job.
    When next you are having a hard day just think of the poor fker who had to make the phone call to the Chinese Embassy to tell them their 3,000 year old priceless treasures were now in bits. "Hello Mr Ambassador. Yes indeed it is a fine day. Very well thank you and you? Good to hear that. Now I suppose you are wondering why I called, welllll........" JEEPERS! S/He earned their money that day.

Report:
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-35331727.html
    unlike most of the members on this forum you do have a sense of humor

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142