Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The things people stick on lampposts thread.

Default Re: The things people stick on lampposts thread.

Here's one for Sidewinder and Captain Con

Shandon area of Cork, last November
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1170804b.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	383  

Shandon Street, Cork. Appropriately enough, the hoarding surrounds a celtic tiger site, where a jerry-built construction, erected without permission, collapsed from the incomplete state in which it was abandoned around 2008, taking its neighbouring buildings with it. I'm told a couple of 'developers' saw jail for that particular achievement.

I took these back in February 2011, by which time the guy who posted up these photocopies had been maintaining the wall for about a couple of years, I reckon. In the past year, unfortunately, it's been wiped out of existence (by the city council, I assume) and been replaced by some abominable twee badly painted images, which include a shawl-clad woman leaning over a half-door. Evidently fake folk is more acceptable than lone protest any day of the week.

Edit: Just found a shot of the Shandon Street "protest wall" as it was six months ago.

Sick transit . . .
    Last edited by Hapax; 12-04-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hapax
    I took these back in February 2011, by which time the guy who posted up these photocopies had been maintaining the wall for about a couple of years, I reckon. In the past year, unfortunately, it's been wiped out of existence (by the city council, I assume) and been replaced by some abominable twee badly painted images, which include a shawl-clad woman leaning over a half-door. Evidently fake folk is more acceptable than lone protest any day of the week.
    Thanks for posting those Hapax, whoever maintained the years long protest had some determination. He sounds like a custodian of the soul of Irish righteous anger and resistance. Despite the effort of the dog tied to the parking sign what replaced the protest is really lacking imagination.

North inner city last month but also appearing in other areas

Some football ones from around Sandymount and Lansdown Road. March 2013.

I like this one:

and some more aggressive ones. Around Lansdown road.

This one is by the Grand Canal Theatre, sometimes known as the Bore Gáis Theatre.

What we should have told the banks That is the James Joyce bridge in the background.

Haven't a clue! Have you?

From Smithfield, Dublin. Where the horse fair is (or was?) held.

Class thread

I like those ones from Smithfield. Site-specific, as they say.

Here's a few I caught last September in Milan.

Don't know what this "no tav" business meant, but there was a lot of it about.

I suppose this means the guy is good at spot-kicks?

Quote Originally Posted by Hapax View Post
    I like those ones from Smithfield. Site-specific, as they say.

Don't know what this "no tav" business meant, but there was a lot of it about.

I suppose this means the guy is good at spot-kicks?
    TAV is high speed rail. There a was lot of opposition to building a link between Lyon and Turin some years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hapax
    I am delighted to learn that I am not the only one daft enough to take photos of this stuff.

Maybe we should start an appreciation society, or maybe a help line and support group would be better. I miss the old smilies that big green grinning one was great.

Churchtown Dublin 14, today.

March '12 Irish soccer clubs.
    North city centre.

This one is not Irish, glad to say.
    This shows the dark side of extreme supporters groups. The "ultras". Have a look at the image they are trying to project. The four silhouette figures three carrying weapons and in clockwork orange pose and get-up.
    This from wikipedia.
    The actions of ultras groups can occasionally be overly extreme and are sometimes influenced by political ideologies or views on racism, in some instances to the point where the original ideology of the ultras phenomenon, passionate and loyal support of one's team, becomes secondary. In recent decades, the culture has become a focal point for the movement against the commercialization of sports and football in particular.
    In 2013, the Associated Press stated that the Ultras network was one of the most organized movements in Egypt after the Muslim Brotherhood.
    AND as if that was not bad enough the so-and-sos stuck their **** over my all time favourite football sticker!! The father and son one from post 18 above.

The freemen are gas, their stickers are usually giving mad advice or telling the Sheriff to "Vacate now". Posters like these two are all over the place.

I only once saw this poster, its as if someone was getting impatient at the delay in Sheriff and Bar vacating. I did think it was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by eamo View Post
    I am delighted to learn that I am not the only one daft enough to take photos of this stuff.

Maybe we should start an appreciation society, or maybe a help line and support group would be better.
    Safety in numbers, eh? They'll have to lock the pair of us up.

Here's a couple of more longwinded ones. This first one is from just off Patrick's hill, Cork, about seven or so years ago. Obviously a guy who's ready at last for some heavy commitment.

And this one's from Lucca, in Italy, last September. As with the "no tav" (thanks, PaddyJoe!), I'm a little vague on the specifics, though I get the general political line.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

The Palmsterstown Saints ones are run by a crowd called Shed End Invincibles, nice crew and fairly much lefties like ourselves
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Today, Westmorland St. That is O'Connells bridge in the background.

Today, City Quay. Outrageous suggestion from someone who is not keeping up with the program. Certainly a job for the thought police.

Today City Quay. Don't it make you feel stoned just looking at it

All today.
    Here is an officially sanctioned mural beside Kevin St. Garda station.

Just around the corner on Bride St. is a more meaningful stencil by the CPI, (Communist Party of Ireland I presume).

and across the road some pissed off citisen was having their say.

and on the same junction were the usual random stickers which I have not got a clue about.

And here is the image (well a link to the image) that the CPI stencil is based on. I know most of you know that but this is for anyone who doesn't .
    Aj Chopra is/was deputy head of the IMF in Europe, when he arrived in Dublin he walked from the 5star Merion Hotel to the Irish Department of finance to take control. To some peoples embarrassment the general reaction was "WOW!! isint he GREAT!! did you see the way he WALKED from hotel to office". As I have said before, it was then that I realised just how f**ked we were.
    http://images.tmcnet.com/featurestor...sis-JPEG-9.jpg

On a happier note some more football stickers.

Shamrock Rovers Ultras
    A bless them

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast