Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Bitcoin Boom

Default Re: Bitcoin Boom

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Thru the roof this year, and this week.......

Bitcoin went bananas. After tearing past $5,000 on Thursday, the cryptocurrency soared above $5,800 (paywall) during early trading on Friday. JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon, who told investors last month that bitcoin was a bubble “worse than tulip bulbs,” said yesterday he doesn’t want to talk about it anymore.

Have your computer mine bitcoin, then become a citizen of Vanuatu the 4th happiest country in the world.........

And finally ... Bitcoin has dodged everything from feuding factions splitting its underlying blockchain and warnings from the likes of JPMorgan Chase & Co. Chief Executive Jamie Dimon of fraud, and yesterday breached $5,000 for the first time, pushing this year’s gains to more than fivefold. Now the South Pacific archipelago of Vanuatu is letting outsiders use the volatile cryptocurrency to apply for so-called investment citizenship. As Sara Clemence reports, fork over the equivalent of about $280,000 and your family of up to four can receive passports — that means visa-free visits to 116 other nations, and no income, inheritance, or corporate tax

Reviewing Bitcoin posts
    here it seems this crypto-currency is staying around.

If you do buy any of it, what is the safest way to hold it. Heard different stories about various "wallets"

Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Reviewing Bitcoin posts
    here it seems this crypto-currency is staying around.

If you do buy any of it, what is the safest way to hold it. Heard different stories about various "wallets"
    Afraid I can't offer you any useful information on wallets right now, but that may change in a couple of months. I'm thinking about accepting bc in a online business.

I agree I think it's going survive. Whatever about bc itself, the underlying blockchain technology it promulgated seems here to stay. Financial institutions are very interested in it. US DoJ said a few years ago that they saw nothing inherently illegal about bc.

Up to now my big concern about bc has been the price volatility, because I would need to convert most of it back to $ quickly. My suppliers don't accept it.
    On one level it looks like an attractive long term investment in that (like gold) there is a finite amount. OTOH unlike gold, the barriers to entry for an alternative better product are pretty low, and you've gotta suspect people are currently working on that. About a year ago 80% of global bc trading was occurring in China, which has a strong gambling culture.
    Right now, bc accounts for about 50% of global crypto currency trading. Not sure how much of that is in China, since China recently banned ICOs. Nokia was once dominant in mobile phones.

Coincidently I watched a 20 minute tv discussion on bc last night with journalists from Bloomberg, WSJ, and a rep from a financial institution. Wallets were not discussed, but in general they were much more positive than negative. It should be online around midnight (Irish) I'll post it when it's up.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Here's the discussion I referenced.

https://charlierose.com/videos/31079

Coincidently, from my news feed in the last 24 hours...........

Touring a secret vault for bitcoin millionaires. Bitcoin may be a revolutionary digital asset, but keeping a stash of it safe requires protections that look very much like banks of yore.
    Joon Ian Wong was granted access to an ultra-secure bitcoin vault belonging to the firm Xapo, located in a decommissioned Swiss military bunker near Zürich. Read about the paranoiac levels of security built into this facility, including nuclear bomb-proof vault doors.

910,000: The number of users on the AirPay payments and e-wallet app in June 2017, operated by Sea — the Southeast Asian gaming, payments, and e-commerce company — which listed its shares this week in the US. That’s up more than 3x from just 290,000 users a year before

$40M: The amount raised by private blockchain provider Digital Asset Holdings in Series B financing from Jefferson River Capital. Digital Asset Holdings has now raised $107M, making it one of the most well-funded venture-backed blockchain startups. This week we published a report on the blockchain investment landscape — and how VCs, token sales, and consortia are shaping its future. Get the PDF
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

And why not.......

One intense number
    The average investor would sell their Bitcoin at a price of $196,165.78, which is more than 26 times higher than the current price of $7,476.78.

If that member who wanted to donate in Bitcoin would still like to - the green button is still there.

I'd say he is past eating nettle soup these days
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213