Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gun Control in the US

Default Re: Gun Control in the US

Shooter been identified:

https://www.essence.com/news/suspect...ochia-moseley/

Mike Carre, who works next door to the distribution center, said that employees who had sought refuge at his workplace told him that Moseley was normally a nice person, but came in on Thursday in a bad mood. Employees said that Moseley “wanted to pick a fight,” and then started shooting.

“Everybody was in shock and worried about their co-workers,” Carre told the Post. “It was horrific. I never saw anything like that in my life.”

The three victims who were hospitalized are recovering from wounds that are not believed to be life-threatening.

Troi Coley, who has been friends with Moseley since high school, told the Baltimore Sun that Moseley sometimes felt at odds with the world, but was not an angry person.

Quote Originally Posted by Publicrealm View Post
    If I lived in the US I would be inclined to carry a concealed weapon - if permitted - to protect myself and my family. I wouldn't want to do so in Ireland.

I realise it's a chicken and egg situation, but banning (or heavily restricting) weapons in the US seems impossible so I would want to have the right to defend myself against any life threatening attack.

I don't understand why people want military grade assault rifles though.

(Are there any US stats. on handgun v rifle incidents?)
    Having lived in the Washington DC region for nearly thirty years, including during a period when it was called the murder capital of the USA, I've never seen or encountered gun violence. I have no idea of how many, if any, of my friends colleagues acquaintances have guns at home. Certainly, none carry. The issue never comes up. The majority of gun violence is drug related and often confined to specific areas of cities. That's not to suggest that it's no different from EU. Obviously it is. I don't even know if there are any target practice facilities locally.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by maggot View Post
    “It is nearly an insoluble pancake, a conundrum of inscrutable potentialities, a snorter.” - Like you, I would feel more secure with some weapon to protect, I know I did during the troubles - but then one reads of poor sods who knock on doors to ask directions and get shot by some Jumpy Householder.
    If a fella had a smartphone he'd have gps and maps. No need to knock on doors. I'd call that a lifesaver.........
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    If a fella had a smartphone he'd have gps and maps. No need to knock on doors. I'd call that a lifesaver.........
    And in areas where there is poor or no coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by maggot View Post
    And in areas where there is poor or no coverage?
    They are few, far between, and underpopulated. You're likely to be in greater danger from bears, wolves, snakes, gators etc.

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...n-coverage-map

Nuns score a win against Smith & Wesson’s parent

Shareholders in American Outdoor Brands — a.k.a. Smith & Wesson — rebuked the Springfield manufacturer’s leadership on Tuesday, passing a nonbinding resolution dealing with gun safety that was filed by a coalition of nuns and affiliated religious groups.

The activist investors, led by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, had filed a shareholder proposal calling on the company to issue a report by Feb. 8 that outlines the violence associated with the weapons it makes, and details of any corporate efforts to research and produce safer guns. The company’s management fought against the proposal by the Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility.
    Nuns secure a victory for gun safety advocates

The hope is that the exercise will nudge the company and other reluctant firearm makers to develop so-called “smart guns,” which can only be fired by their owners.

The technology would render stolen firearms useless. And it could prevent thousands of suicides by despondent teens digging into their parents’ closets for weapons.

Earlier this year, activists got shareholders of gunmaker Sturm, Ruger & Co. to require a similar report. To gun control activists, this is beginning to look like momentum.

“Just one year ago, it was unthinkable that shareholders would demand that gun manufacturers examine their own role in America’s gun violence,” said Avery Gardiner, co-president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, in a statement. “Now, it’s becoming the norm.”

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123