Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Control in the US

Default Re: Gun Control in the US

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Obama wants to disarm the American working class. What is surprising about that ?
    Guns for the rich, eh.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Guns for the rich, eh.
    Guns for the army and the cops.

And yes, for politicians, and I'm sure, the rich.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

The Hill: LaPierre: 'No evidence' gun control would have changed Newtown
    By Justin Sink
    The NRA CEO argued "you can change magazine clips in a second" after Connecticut passed a restriction on magazine size.

THE GUN DEBATE ISN’T OVER YET. The congressional recess hasn’t been kind to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s push for major gun legislation. Shortly after lawmakers left town, news broke that several GOP senators had informed the Democrat that they would filibuster “any additional gun restrictions” a pledge later seconded by other Republicans. The news instigated the inevitable round of breathless hand-wringing over the bill’s future. But if gun legislation dies on the Senate floor, it won’t be because of the Filibuster Five. In the game to get 60 votes, some holdouts are inevitable. And behind the scenes, aides say, work continues on a deal for expanded background checks palatable to at least some Republicans, as well as moderate Democrats nervous about coming on board, National Journal’s Chris Frates reports. Still, NJ’s Democratic Insiders say the NRA is beating Obama on guns. Read more
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

This is a few weeks old but still:

Watch yer mouth when you travel to Jawja. Pretty soon everyone everywhere will be packin heat.

Dent Myer, owner of Wildman’s Civil War Surplus, stands outside his store in Kennesaw, Georgia. Gov. Nathan Deal signed a broad gun rights expansion bill Wednesday. Photo by Chris Rank/Bloomberg via Getty Images

GEORGIA GOVERNOR SIGNS 'GUNS EVERYWHERE' BILL: The bill lets Georgians legally carry guns in schools, bars, churches, and government buildings. But Gov. Nathan Deal warned against politicizing the bipartisan bill, which even Jimmy Carter's son, a state senator, supported. (Greg Bluestein, Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

Georgia gun law: Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal signed into law Wednesday one of, if not the, most expansive gun rights laws in the country. The law allows Georgians with concealed carry permits to take guns with them into schools, bars, and churches — if church leaders opt in — as well as parts of airports and government buildings, NewsHour’s Simone Pathe reports. Deal faces a primary for re-election May 20th. His likely Democratic general election opponent Jason Carter, a state senator and former President Jimmy Carter’s grandson, voted for it. But over on the Senate side, Michelle Nunn (D) faces a bigger test. She has tacked to the middle in her first two ads, including one up Wednesday in which she calls for banning members of Congress from becoming lobbyists, withholding congressional pay unless a budget is passed and eliminating health care subsidies for members of Congress. When it comes to this law, Nunn said she’s against guns being allowed in churches or on college campuses (that was taken out of the bill), but she “embraced” background checks like in the Manchin-Toomey bill and wouldn’t say if she would be in favor of reducing magazine clips from 15 to 10 like in New Jersey. “It’s not something that I’m focused on right now,” said Nunn, one of only two (maybe three) candidates Democrats hope can pull off an upset in a red state.

Carter, who seemed a bit uncomfortable talking about national issues this week, said no one issue was more “geographically polarizing” than guns. He has a line to walk, too, because he needs Democrats in this demographically evolving state to come out for him in full force. To the bigger point, it is fascinating that — despite efforts by new groups with high-profile advocates like former Rep. Gabby Giffords or Mike Bloomberg — in the year after the Sandy Hook shootings, more gun laws passed loosening rather than tightening gun laws. In all, 109 laws passed relating to guns — 70 loosened restrictions, 39 tightened them. It’s precisely why the new Bloomberg $50 million effort is unlikely to change much at all.

Obama cries over little children and guns... no not in Yemen or Syria, only in the US, when wanting to restrict arms.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/684422962187993089
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

In Texas, where gun control is all about a steady hand, licensed gun owners are allowed to carry their piece open in public again (open carry had been abolished in 1871).

Link
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

A currently unknown number of multiple fatalities at a Texas high school shootings this morning, two people detained.

'Multiple deaths' in Maryland shooting

There were "multiple fatalities" in a shooting at a pharmacy distribution centre in the US state of Maryland, local officials say.

The shooting happened on Thursday morning in the Perryman area, Harford County, about 40km (25 miles) north-east of Baltimore.

There were also "multiple wounded", the officials say. A suspect was in custody "in critical condition".

The Harford County Sheriff's Office urged residents to avoid the area.

However, it later tweeted that "we do not believe there is any further threat to the community".

FBI officers were deployed to the scene just minutes after first reports of the shooting emerged at 09:06 local time (13:06 GMT).
    God help the victims and their families.

Quote Originally Posted by maggot View Post
    'Multiple deaths' in Maryland shooting

God help the victims and their families.
    Female shooter, 3 dead 3 injured

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Female shooter, 3 dead 3 injured
    Female shooter? Is that not rather unusual?

This marks the third mass shooting in the country in the span of a day. A shooting at an office complex in Middleton, Wisconsin left three people injured Wednesday, and a gunman injured four people at the Masontown Borough Municipal Center in Pennsylvania later in the day.
    Police killed the shooters in both Wednesday incidents.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/09/20/u...ing/index.html

A law enforcement official who had been briefed on the incident provided the casualty toll for CNN. Another source close to the investigation said the woman was a disgruntled employee. She shot herself in the head in an apparent suicide attempt, but was unsuccessful so she shot herself again, the source said.

Quote Originally Posted by maggot View Post
    Female shooter? Is that not rather unusual?
    Yes, that's why I included it. She shot herself in the head, once and it didn't work, shot a second time. and now is in critical.
    Nothing yet known about the shooter. Could be a workplace or domestic issue.

• Four people were killed and three others were wounded in a shooting at a Rite Aid warehouse in Aberdeen, Maryland, on Thursday morning. This marks the third mass shooting within the last 24 hours. [CNN / Eliott C. McLaughlin]

• The shooter, who was a temporary worker at the drug store distribution center, killed herself after the rampage. The shooter has not been identified, and her motive and how she acquired a gun are unknown. [AP / David McFadden]

• This is the second workplace shooting in a 10-mile radius in the past year, and the third in three years in Maryland's 34th District. Responses from Maryland politicians have ranged from offering "thoughts and prayers" to urging the country "to end the toll of gun violence in our communities." [Baltimore Sun / Catherine Rentz]

• Two separate mass shootings took place in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania on Wednesday. In Middleton, Wisconsin, a former employee attacked the WTS Paradigm software company office and injured four people. Another shooter who was facing domestic violence charges opened fire at a Masontown, Pennsylvania, courthouse and injured four others. Both gunmen were shot and killed by police. [Splinter / Rafi Schwartz]

• The Gun Violence Archive reports that, with Thursday's incident, there have been 262 mass shootings in America 263 days into 2018 — making the average about one mass shooting per day. [Vox / German Lopez]

If I lived in the US I would be inclined to carry a concealed weapon - if permitted - to protect myself and my family. I wouldn't want to do so in Ireland.

I realise it's a chicken and egg situation, but banning (or heavily restricting) weapons in the US seems impossible so I would want to have the right to defend myself against any life threatening attack.

I don't understand why people want military grade assault rifles though.

(Are there any US stats. on handgun v rifle incidents?)

Quote Originally Posted by Publicrealm View Post
    If I lived in the US I would be inclined to carry a concealed weapon - if permitted - to protect myself and my family. I wouldn't want to do so in Ireland.

I realise it's a chicken and egg situation, but banning (or heavily restricting) weapons in the US seems impossible so I would want to have the right to defend myself against any life threatening attack.

I don't understand why people want military grade assault rifles though.

(Are there any US stats. on handgun v rifle incidents?)
    “It is nearly an insoluble pancake, a conundrum of inscrutable potentialities, a snorter.” - Like you, I would feel more secure with some weapon to protect, I know I did during the troubles - but then one reads of poor sods who knock on doors to ask directions and get shot by some Jumpy Householder.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast