Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Control in the US

Default The gun control debate in the USA ...

Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Default Gun Control in the US

I was prompted to start this thread by an exchange yesterday with Ceannaire, on the issue of same sex marriage. There are similarities. In the US same sex marriage laws are currently a combination of the various state laws and Federal court decisions. Likewise with gun control. Both are currently under discussion. Gun control has the added complication of constitutional protection. Below are the various gun control pieces that hit my inbox this morning. There will be more in the coming weeks.

Obama speaks in Denver to renew support for gun control measures. “President Obama stopped here Wednesday afternoon to try to regain public support for his stalled gun-control agenda, using a tour of a police academy to put new pressure on Congress amid waning political urgency for more restrictive laws…Noting that the state's legislators have passed stronger gun legislation regarding background checks, Obama made the case that such regulations do not infringe on Americans' Second Amendment rights.” David Nakamura in The Washington Post.

Pro-gun laws are actually gaining ground at the state level. “[S]tates have passed more measures expanding rather than restricting the right to carry firearms. Arkansas eliminated prohibitions on carrying firearms in churches and on college campuses. South Dakota authorized school boards to arm teachers. Tennessee passed a law allowing workers to bring guns to work and store them in their vehicles, even if their employer objects. Kentucky shortened the process for obtaining licenses to carry a concealed gun.” Jack Nicas and Joe Palazzolo in The Wall Street Journal.

Meet the upstart group that’s fighting against gun control harder than the NRA. “Once largely unknown, Gun Owners of America, with its war chest, membership and lobbying strength dwarfed by the National Rifle Association, is emerging as an influential force as a series of gun control measures heads to the Senate floor.The group has already been successful in both freezing senators, particularly Republicans, who have appeared to be on the fence about supporting bills to expand background checks and increase penalties for illegal gun purchases, and empowering those who have a strong gun rights background.Jennifer Steinhauer in The New York Times.

The long battle for gun sanity
    Don’t give up just yet on substantive background checks.
    (, The Washington Post)

CONN. PASSES STRONG GUN LAWS AFTER NEWTOWN. The Connecticut legislature early Thursday passed what it called "the nation's most comprehensive package of gun control legislation," The New York Times reports, sending it to Democratic Gov. Dannel Malloy's desk later today. The 138-page bill, released in full on Wednesday morning, includes "a ban on the sale of magazines carrying 10 or more bullets and requires registration of existing ones." It also expands the state's existing assault weapons bans, mandates background checks for all gun sales, and establishes a registry of weapons offenders. Passed in response to the Newtown school shooting, the legislation contains measures that are similar to those being debated by President Obama and Congress. Read more

GOP TO OBAMA: ENFORCE GUN LAWS ALREADY ON THE BOOKS. Conservative Republicans have used an effective counter to President Obama's plea for new gun laws: enforce existing laws. In recent weeks, conservatives have often cited law-enforcement statistics – which are regularly disputed, making them difficult to place in proper context – to abruptly end any gun-related line of questioning. And, as public pressure continues to dissipate after December's mass shooting in Newton, Conn., GOP lawmakers have used this tactic to turn the tables on the president, arguing that his administration hasn't done enough to enforce current laws to justify its calls for more, National Journal's Tim Alberta reports. Read more

GUN-CONTROL SPONSORS WORK TO WIN OVER GOP. Negotiators are still sparring over some of the seemingly less controversial provisions in proposed gun-control legislation, despite Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's promise to bring a bill to the floor this month, Roll Call reports. Democrats are looking for Republicans to join a background-check agreement that would require private sellers to keep a paper record of transactions, as commercial retailers do. But voting for gun-control measures, even for small details, is still risky, especially for Democrats up for reelection in red states. And it's riskier still if the House fails to take up the legislation at all. Read more

WHITE HOUSE CALLS GUN-CONTROL FILIBUSTER PLANS 'SHAMEFUL.'The White House hit hard Wednesday against the plans of conservative Republican senators to filibuster gun-control measures expected to come up for votes in coming weeks, with President Obama warning against "obscure procedural stunts" and Press Secretary Jay Carney calling a filibuster "shameful," National Journal's George E. Condon Jr. reports. Read more

90 percent of Americans want expanded background checks on guns. Why isn’t this a political slam dunk?

The Maryland House passed strict new gun control measures.

OBAMA READY TO DEAL ON GUNS, IMMIGRATION: Dan Pfeiffer, White House senior adviser, made it clear during our Playbook Breakfast conversation at the Mayflower Hotel that President Obama wants to sign both gun-control and immigration bills, and is willing to accept a lot of watering-down if that's what it takes to win passage. Asked if Obama would sign a gun bill that doesn't require recordkeeping for private sales, a big sticking point, Pfeiffer didn't draw lines. "What the president wants to sign is the strongest gun bill he can sign," he said. "What we have to make sure is that whatever we do is better than current law."

BREAKING OVERNIGHT - Hartford Courant, "State Legislature Approves Historic Gun Bill; Governor To Sign It Thursday At Noon": "After more than 13 hours of debate that was at moments impassioned and agonized, the General Assembly early Thursday approved an historic and far-reaching gun-control bill that proponents said was their toughest-in-the-nation response to the Dec. 14 Newtown school massacre." http://cour.at/Yxr8qG

--WashPost 2-col. lead, "Md. House votes for far-reaching gun-control bill: ASSAULT-WEAPONS BAN INCLUDED -- State Senate expected to sign off on changes," by Aaron C. Davis: "The Maryland House of Delegates passed what would be among the nation's most restrictive gun-control measures ... The 78 to 61 vote handed Gov. Martin O'Malley (D) a major policy victory." http://wapo.st/Xf67zT

SHOT: L.A. Times A1, "States make strides on gun laws: Unlike in Washington, regional lawmakers have acted quickly. But divergent sets of rules have resulted."

CHASER (and CABLE NEWS ALERT): WSJ 2-col. lead, "Pro-Gun Laws Gain Ground: Since Newtown Massacre, More States Ease Regulations Than Bolster Them."

Second Amendment
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Default Re: Gun Control in the US

You should have started the thread, "Is there any gun control in the US".
    "I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure". Clarence Darrow

I find it astounding, particularly following the shooting at Sandy Hook school that the appetite for reforming gun control appears to be losing momentum. What will it take for MAJOR gun control to take place.

With almost 300 million guns out there. It's amazing more people are not killed.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Newsy View Post
    I find it astounding, particularly following the shooting at Sandy Hook school that the appetite for reforming gun control appears to be losing momentum. What will it take for MAJOR gun control to take place.
    Click this link from the OP.
    90 percent of Americans want expanded background checks on guns. Why isn’t this a political slam dunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    With almost 300 million guns out there. It's amazing more people are not killed.
    i got sick when i first heard these numbers.... and my mood will quickly deteriorate if i dont stop thinking about gun control

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22018736

Liberal gun lovers...bizzare
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Obama speaks in Denver to renew support for gun control measures.
    The hypocrisy...

Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    The hypocrisy...

You don't seriously think anyone believes that do you? I certainly wouldn't believe it until I got my hands on a receipt from AQ for the money. Trust nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see, is my motto.

Trust nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see, is my motto.
    I wonder if your motto applies to what you hear and see from Mr Obama?
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

I wonder if your motto applies to what you hear and see from Mr Obama?
    I apply Ronald Reagan's dictum of "Trust but Verify".
    Feel free to "Flood the Zone" with examples of what you are referring to.

So, you're telling us that Obama is not financing Syrian terrorists freedom fighters? That he did not sell thousands of firearms to Mexican drug dealers (Operation Fast and Furious)?

He is arming anyone as he ses fit and yet he's preaching "gun control", give me a break.

So, you're telling us that Obama is not financing Syrian terrorists freedom fighters? That he did not sell thousands of firearms to Mexican drug dealers (Operation Fast and Furious)?

He is arming anyone as he ses fit and yet he's preaching "gun control", give me a break.
    I made a big fat zero amount of claims about what Obama is or is not doing. You are the one making claims of hypocrisy, and I invited you to "Flood the Zone" with examples. The two "alleged" examples you supplied are absurd. So bring it on.

I made a big fat zero amount of claims about what Obama is or is not doing. You are the one making claims of hypocrisy, and I invited you to "Flood the Zone" with examples. The two "alleged" examples you supplied are absurd. So bring it on.
    Obama wants to disarm the American working class. What is surprising about that ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast