Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Press the green button .... It's That Time Again

Default Re: Press the button ....

Off topic I know but when I use the Quick Reply 'it' asks me if I really want to move away from the site. When I opt to Go Advanced, it seems to send the Quick Reply anyway.

I hate computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Binn Beal View Post
    Off topic I know but when I use the Quick Reply 'it' asks me if I really want to move away from the site. When I opt to Go Advanced, it seems to send the Quick Reply anyway.

I hate computers.
    This software is full of bugs. It is being looked after, bit by bit.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

“ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

It is that time of year again, when the bills hit the mat.

Thank you very much to everyone who donated to our hosting and upgrade costs last year. Thanks to you, the place is I think looking good and working well. We have an archive of over 300,000 posts that are full of information that has disappeared from other parts of the net. The more data, the higher the hosting costs, but I think it is a resource worth maintaining through thick and thin. The plan is to go on improving the function and appearance of the Political World to make it a worthy platform with which to storm into the locals and Euro elections and issues much further afield.

Completely understand that in these difficult times, some people will catch up with this request another year.

The donation button is at the moment black. The colour will change to orange when we are half way to this year's hosting costs, and green if and when we hit the total.

Please look down the back of the sofa, and send whatever you find there via Payapl and the button at the top of your screen. Big medium and tiny amounts are all appreciated but are obligatory on no one, and will buy you absolutely no leeway in terms of meandering from forum rules
    Last edited by C. Flower; 15-01-2014 at 08:08 PM.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Completely understand that in these difficult times, some people will catch up with this request another year.
    mmmm no excuse for the people that use it in a regular basis, not just the members that post but everyone reading this

The donation button is at the moment black. The colour will change to orange when we are half way to this year's hosting costs, and red if and when we hit the total.
    may i humbly suggest you turn the button to 'green' when you hit the total needed? ... also it may help the membership/readership to know HOW much are we aiming for? I find a temp dipstick like this quite useful (big fan of graphics, pls get a professional to work on it i think you have some sitting around in this forum, of course this can be redesigned any way you want, or not, but i think graphics HELP get the msg out):

Please look down the back of the sofa, and send whatever you find there via Payapl and the button at the top of your screen. Big medium and tiny amounts are all appreciated but are obligatory on no one, and will buy you absolutely no leeway in terms of meandering from forum rules
    WHAT?

I cant buy my way into saying whatever i want?
    Last edited by random new yorker; 10-01-2014 at 02:26 PM.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Default Re: Press the black button .... It's That Time Again

No issues will be glad to throw a couple of quid, board is always a great source of info
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Thanks very much for the suggestions and for the contributions

RNY - I like your sketch - I was thinking it would make more sense to start with a red button and graduate towards green. We will work on it over the weekend.

I will also put up a target.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

RNY - I like your sketch - I was thinking it would make more sense to start with a red button and graduate towards green. We will work on it over the weekend.

I will also put up a target.
    my fictitious target is based in numbers i hear in Radio Stations that support themselves the same way as you are trying to do here. Our local radio station aims for ~100K/year it really depends how large the audience is and what the associated costs of keeping operations going. This number varies widely depending on US geography for obvious economic reasons.

I suggest replacing the icon with "Events" under the Donate Button with this nice little reminder (unless people use that icon a lot)

I eventually pushed the button last month and ticked the repeat every month box. Not as much as I would have liked but if ever I get you in the back of my taxi I will tell you at great length about how hard it is to make a living these days

I will also put up a target
    Please don't use my head.
    When I clicked the cursor in the amount box it autofilled with 700K. I hope eamo is not on the hook for that every month.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Please don't use my head.
    When I clicked the cursor in the amount box it autofilled with 700K. I hope eamo is not on the hook for that every month.

— Jean-Paul Sartre

I guess 700k is only a suggested amount?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    A minimum, PJ. A minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    It's the Millennium target
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Thank you very much to everyone who has kindly contributed, or who would like to and has no free cash at the moment (the thought also counts). I won't be writing separately to thank, due to your anonymity.

In case anyone is wondering where the €€ go, it is hosting ( and as we are getting bigger, with over 300,000 posts and increasing numbers of data hits that costs more), and upgrades and improvements. There may be a need or wish for more costly changes from time to time, where possible I'm very happy to deal with those.

I would very much like the PW basics to be financially self supporting as it gives it the firmest basis. This is something Sean Ryan said early days in this place, and I think he is right. At the moment, that means a target of €500.00 per year to cover those basics.

If you are wondering would a small amount be worth getting - say 1 euro a month - yes, it would, very much. although of course larger amounts are also very useful
    Last edited by C. Flower; 12-01-2014 at 08:46 AM.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast