Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Magdalene Laundries: Compensation, Payment and Redress.....

Default Re: Magdalene Laundries: Compensation, Payment and Redress.....

McAleese treated the meetings with former Magdalenes as just a chance for a chat. He didn't take their testimony seriously - bear in mind too that JfM wanted their testimony sworn.
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    McAleese treated the meetings with former Magdalenes as just a chance for a chat. He didn't take their testimony seriously - bear in mind too that JfM wanted their testimony sworn.
    Mc Aleese has a deaf son now adult as he was in a deaf school in Stillorgan, Co. Dublin, where abuses took place many years ago. It was only few years ago that i met ex classmate of Mc Aleese's son.

<....CF >

Also Mc Aleese strong connections with the church when report was being commissioned at that time. That said, i felt that his report could turn into a damp squib or downplaying or minimizing the level of suffering or the impact of abuses so forth that the abused endured. Tuam babies saga reinforced that re mentality of the nuns (not all of them) and the political establishment too along their pet media friends playing down this one as fast as they can in the hope that it would die down.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 19-01-2015 at 04:32 PM. Reason: addition.

Full details of further government backtracking here

I have also tied a number of cases here

JFM Research publishes critique of McAleese Report

Justice for Magdalenes Research (JFMR) has published the first in a series of critiques of the Report of the Inter-Departmental Committee to establish the facts of State involvement with the Magdalen Laundries (IDC Report). Published to coincide with the second anniversary of the State apology, JFMR’s critique discusses issues around death, the institutionalisation of former Magdalene women, as well as JFMR’s research on Magdalene graves and duration of stay.

Instead of answering questions on the serious issues surrounding deaths in Magdalene Laundries, Chapter 16 of the IDC Report gives exclusive attention to the religious orders’ version of events and completely ignores survivor testimony, as well as substantial submissions from JFM raising concerns about the funeral and burial practices in Ireland’s Magdalene Laundries.

Read the full press release and key findings here
    * JFMR Death, Institutionalisation & Duration of Stay: A critique of Chapter 16 of the Report of the Inter-Departmental Committee to establish the facts of State involvement with the Magdalen Laundries and related issues
    * Appendix 1
    * Appendix 2

As I recall McAleese avoided any questions on his report by ensuring he was out of the country when it was published. Don't think he has ever commented on it?

He resigned right before publication and has never been seen again since. Whatever he chooses to do, it is a ******* disgrace that not one journalist has sought to put questions to him. The Examiner is the only paper to publish criticisms of the report ( from McGettrick, Enright and McGarr, each well researched and damning ) but as far the media themselves are concerned, it's hands off McAleese. He should be made to account for himself but most of all, the lack of scrutiny since the report's publication has allowed government to shield themselves. This week is exactly two years since Kenny had an apology dragged out of him, but he or the state have never admitted any liability and it shows in how the women continue to be treated.

“ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

The govt displayed a schizo attitude towards the victims and while at the same time, they attacked SF re Cahill etc. They can't have both ways.

Not surprising re Mc Aleese as he was appointed to the senate by Kenny himself. So he had to support Kenny one way or another (you pat my back as i pat yours -Irish style -see new book by Hourigan). Also Mc Aleese (M) had no track record of investigating abuses prior to that report. So why give the job to him given his past history( no track record) perhaps the govt wants to repay him for his role in the troubles??

DoJ taking up Martin McAleese's complaint against the BBC

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...bc-350642.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nicht Besonders View Post
    DoJ taking up Martin McAleese's complaint against the BBC

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...bc-350642.html

Looks like the BBC defended the programme robustly and the DOJ and McAleese decided to beat a retreat.
    The documentary is online here:

I feel very angry looking back over this thread and the "Justice for Magdales" thread - there was one on Politics.ie I started it must be nearly ten years ago....

Women who were enslaved, deprived of education and wages, of medical care, protesting today at the ruins of the Sean McDermott Street laundry. Still no movement on commemoration by Government, or on anything else, much.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...blin-1.3198412
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I feel very angry looking back over this thread and the "Justice for Magdales" thread - there was one on Politics.ie I started it must be nearly ten years ago....

Women who were enslaved, deprived of education and wages, of medical care, protesting today at the ruins of the Sean McDermott Street laundry. Still no movement on commemoration by Government, or on anything else, much.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...blin-1.3198412
    Did you really expect more, from church or state...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567