Thread: Town councillor convicted of falsely claiming expenses has no intention of resigning

Default Town councillor convicted of falsely claiming expenses has no intention of resigning

This story neatly encapsulates the dishonesty and lack of accountability that permeates every level of Irish politics:
    A town councillor has been fined €500 after being convicted of falsely claiming expenses for a conference he did not attend.

Pat Melia, aged 51, of 19 Ard na Greine, Macroom, Co Cork, a member of Macroom Town Council, pleaded guilty at Macroom District Court yesterday to a single charge of making a gain by deception under the Theft and Fraud Offences Act on dates between Apr 13 and Apr 27
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/text/ireland/cwkfsnqlqloj/

According to the Corkman this evening it appears that he does not intend to resign as a councillor and five out of eight of his fellow councillors say they will not call on him to resign.
    I really think sometimes that there's no hope for this country

Default Re: Town councillor convicted of falsely claiming expenses has no intention of resigning

Used to be FF but apparently "left the party last summer".
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Default Re: Town councillor convicted of falsely claiming expenses has no intention of resigning

Of course he won't resign, this is how they roll.
    In case this all goes pear-shaped, I'll bid you adieu

Why should he resign when he'll probably top the poll now

Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    This story neatly encapsulates the dishonesty and lack of accountability that permeates every level of Irish politics:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/text/ireland/cwkfsnqlqloj/

According to the Corkman this evening it appears that he does not intend to resign as a councillor and five out of eight of his fellow councillors say they will not call on him to resign.
    I really think sometimes that there's no hope for this country
    Irish public life in a nutshell. You steal from people, you are guilty of defrauding the public purse, you belligerently refuse to resign and insisting on staying in the position of public trust, where the possibility of stealing from the public purse again remains.

Jesus wept. In Switzerland, it is standard practice to prosecute such people. Continuing in public life is a non-runner. Ireland is incredibly backward in this area. It is truly shaming.

Good grief! Local businesses are offering to pay his fine
    From his Facebook page.
    Barbara and myself would like to take this opportunity to thank most sincerely the people of Macroom for their support and best wishes over the horrible period of the past 8 months. What I done was wrong and I take full responsibility for my actions and will not try to make any excuses. I have paid back the 218 Euros. I apologise to the people of Macroom who contacted me in their hundreds to offer me their support and best wishes. They say Macroom is the town that never reared a fool. They proved that with their understanding of this case.

I am not the first public representative to err in such a fashion and I guarantee I will not be the last. I would like to thank my solicitor Sean Cahill for his great work and honesty towards me throughout this ordeal.

We now have our future and Maria, Michael, Conrad & Natalia to enjoy our future with. For the fantastic charachter references given to the court, Thank You. For the 7 business who have offered to pay my fine of 500 Euros, Thank You. To the people with nothing but badness on their mind, cop on, grow up and get a job or hobby. Again. Thank You
    http://www.facebook.com/pat.melia.1/posts/4304335085804

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    Good grief! Local businesses are offering to pay his fine
    From his Facebook page.
    His fine paid by local business?

The excuse he gave for his "error" wouldn't fool anyone. They are supporting crook.

talk about paying the martyr, he has a few lessons to learn
    1 - not to attend conferences that "go away over his head"
    2- use a domestic situation as an excuse to not attend the 2nd day of the conference
    3 - be so damned arrogant about it.

Dunno what is with all the biblical references by his supporters.

The Corkman has the 'local businesses offer to pay Melia's fine' story on page five today.
    Now if they wanted to have real news they could have dialled a few numbers and found out exactly which businesses they are.
    Damm it..at least ring all the major ones and get a denial. No rocket science involved.

Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!

" They say Macroom is the town that never reared a fool. "

It seems there is a whole town of them there.

Star of the show in a local production of 'South Pacific' in Macroom a couple of weeks back I hear.
    No such thing as keeping the head down there.

I see that former councillor Pat Melia is on the front page of this week's Southern Star complaining bitterly that hundreds of councillors all over the country have fiddled their expenses through conferences. Very probably so. Makes me wonder why he was one of the very few to actually be caught and prosecuted for it?
    Bit of a boo boo by the local authority after he was convicted though....

JOE LEOGUE – UPDATED 27 JANUARY 2014 03:02 PMMANAGEMENT at Macroom Town Council has been left red-faced after it emerged that the local authority executive allowed a councillor to attend and vote at meetings for a year after he should have left the council.
    MANAGEMENT at Macroom Town Council has been left red-faced after it emerged that the local authority executive allowed a councillor to attend and vote at meetings for a year after he should have left the council.Pat Melia (Ind) was this week told by council officials that he is no longer a member of Macroom Town Council because of a conviction he received last year.
    On January 16, 2013 Mr Melia pleaded guilty at Macroom District Court to a charge of causing a loss to the town council by deception for claiming expenses for a conference he did not attend.
    The court heard that the then Fianna Fáil councillor claimed €552.26 for attending a three-day conference on water reform at the Galway Bay Hotel in April 2012, but it later emerged that this included a false claim of two overnight stays to the value of €218. Mr Melia was fined €500 for the offence.
    While Macroom town councillors refused to call on Mr Melia to resign at the time of his conviction, it has since emerged that his conviction should have legally barred him from membership of the council, regardless of their position.
    The Corkman has discovered that Mr Melia should not have been allowed back onto the council following his guilty plea. However, town council management did not enforce the law.
    The Local Government Act 2001 states that 'a person is disqualified from being elected, or co-opted to, or from being a member of a local authority if he or she is convicted of ... fraudulent or dishonest dealings affecting a local authority'.
    When this newspaper brought this provision of the act to the attention of the Departmet of Local Government last week, a spokesperson said that the department does not interpret the legislation, and that it is an issue for the Ethics Registrar of the local authority.
    "Section 13 of the Local Government Act 2001 sets out the grounds for disqualification from being elected or co-opted to, or from being a member of, a local authority. It is a matter for the local authority to apply these provisions in the light of particular circumstances," the spokesperson said.
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/...-29943291.html