Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: North Meath CAWHT Chair Seamus McDonagh to contest Meath East by-election for the Workers Party

Default North Meath CAWHT Chair Seamus McDonagh to contest Meath East by-election for the Workers Party

North Meath CAHWT chairman to contest Meath-East By-election

Seamus McDonagh, the chairman of the North Meath Campaign Against the Household and Water Tax (CAHWT), will contest the Meath East by-election.

A community activist in north Meath for over three decades and the National Organiser of the Workers’ Party, Seamus will be seeking to unite the Left and progressive electorate in East Meath behind a policy platform of opposition to household and water taxes, ending youth emigration, job creation, repudiating the bank debt and workers’ rights.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 14-01-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Default Re: North Meath CAHWT chairman to contest Meath East by-election

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret Wilson View Post
    North Meath CAHWT chairman to contest Meath-East By-election

Seamus McDonagh, the chairman of the North Meath Campaign Against the Household and Water Tax (CAHWT), will contest the Meath East by-election.

A community activist in north Meath for over three decades and the National Organiser of the Workers’ Party, Seamus will be seeking to unite the Left and progressive electorate in East Meath behind a policy platform of opposition to household and water taxes, ending youth emigration, job creation, repudiating the bank debt and workers’ rights.
    Very interesting.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Great stuff, it will be interesting to see how much electoral support there is for a protest vote.

So the CAHWT is another workers party front?

Why not pick someone who is just an ordinary person and not a senior member in a very divisive political party?

Stupid move and will damage the campaign.

So the CAHWT is another workers party front?

Yes with Ming Flannagn and Joe Higgins

You're not concerned about some of the protest vote being syphoned off elsewhere Saoirse?

He picked up 189 first preferences last time out so we will have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FIVE View Post
    Yes with Ming Flannagn and Joe Higgins

You're not concerned about some of the protest vote being syphoned off elsewhere Saoirse?

He picked up 189 first preferences last time out so we will have to wait and see.
    I canvassed with this man. He seemed very genuine to me. Not sure what chance he has-I'd reckon he has zero chance of getting elected because Meath people are in general your typical centrist conservatives-though there has been a growing protest vote with 4'000 SF votes 2 years ago and 12'000 Labour votes for Hannigan. Maybe he will attract some of those voters if he gets out there enough, and might have a shot at a council seat next year. If he got a few thousand votes, or even a thousand, that would be progress for Meath.

Having said all that I'm still in the Louth constituency myself(Coastal Meath) afaik. Despite my dislike of the WP's past and disappointment over some of their anti-republican posters on here, they're a step up from the other gombeens knocking round the locality. They remain though the only party claiming to be on the Irish left that believes we should leave the EU, if I remember rightly.

I was just looking at his 2011 election literature and it says:

Seamus McDonagh is a life-long member of the Workers' Party. He spent many years as a community development worker with the Dublin Inner City Drugs Network...
    I have never heard of such an organisation as the Dublin Inner City Drugs Network and when I googled it nothing came up. Can anyone shed any light?
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

It is not clear from the OP whether he is running for the Workers Party or the CAHWT.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    They remain though the only party claiming to be on the Irish left that believes we should leave the EU, if I remember rightly.
    You don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    You don't.
    Thats what they told me when I was canvassing with them and about to become a member.

The guy's free to run but it's cynical tacking CAHWT Chairman onto the headline of the presser. As far as I know this has nothing to do with CAHWT. Don't think the Campaign really exists anywhere in Meath for him to be chairperson of anything, it being a blueshirt heartland. He got a disastrous 189 votes as the only leftwing candidate in last year's election in Meath West. Parachuting himself into Meath East and getting probably less will be a farce. I don't like the look of any of this.
    "Fascinating, watching the world act as though it still had a financial system. Using the toilet, when the pipes are gone." - some guy on twitter

He must be running for the Workers Party so (if he is indeed running at all). That should have been stated in the OP (if it is the case).

I'm locking the thread until the facts can be ascertained.

Default Re: Seamus McDonagh to contest Meath East by-election

I've temporarily changed the thread title until this is clarified and let the OP writer know.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

To the best of my knowledge Seamus will be running under the WP and local CAHWT banners – his candidacy was proposed by the local North Meath CAHWT – which has been active holding a number of meetings in the area (that will seemingly surprise some posters) and contains members of various left groups and none. The WP has also formally endorsed Seamus. This is to the best of my knowledge, posters from the locality may know more.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Looking at the trends of the last few elections, this space is always occupied by FG/FF and Lab or SF. WP are going to find it tough but sincerely hope to see them making great inroads. FG/FF get voted in based on dynastical elements or families voting as that is how their parents voted..
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast