Thread: Developing Apps

Default Developing Apps

Just thought Il'd put this out here, in case somebody here could enlighten us.
    One of my many daughters has come up with this idea for an "app". They all agree, and so do a lot of others who have been asked, that this is indeed a very good idea. Personally, for me a mobile phone is a necessary nuisance I would happily do without, but then, I'm told I'm just an old fart when it comes to things like this....

So, without going into to many details, the "app" she is on about would enable foreigners visiting or living in any country who's langauage is in the app to create shopping lists etc in their own language, but show them in the language of the country they are shopping in, while also producing an image of whatever it is they want to buy, and if wanted, the correct pronunciation of the word. It's to do away with the stress of misunderstandings with shop owners etc...
    We put it out there, and are getting some outrageous quotes for this. Lowest quote so far 5K, highest 11K. Can't for the life of me see how anybody would spend that kind of money on something that may or may not sell, and if it does, will sell for 4.99 or so...

But it did arouse my curiosity. Can anybody enlighten me in what this development can consist of to warrant such astronomical fees? After all, we would supply the database with all the details, including images, language files and sound files. The girls tell me we would need both "Android" and Apple", but not to bother with a windows development as nobody uses it. So that's what I asked for, and those are the prices I got back...

Default Re: Developing Apps

Quote Originally Posted by Ephilant View Post
    Just thought Il'd put this out here, in case somebody here could enlighten us.
    One of my many daughters has come up with this idea for an "app". They all agree, and so do a lot of others who have been asked, that this is indeed a very good idea. Personally, for me a mobile phone is a necessary nuisance I would happily do without, but then, I'm told I'm just an old fart when it comes to things like this....

So, without going into to many details, the "app" she is on about would enable foreigners visiting or living in any country who's langauage is in the app to create shopping lists etc in their own language, but show them in the language of the country they are shopping in, while also producing an image of whatever it is they want to buy, and if wanted, the correct pronunciation of the word. It's to do away with the stress of misunderstandings with shop owners etc...
    We put it out there, and are getting some outrageous quotes for this. Lowest quote so far 5K, highest 11K. Can't for the life of me see how anybody would spend that kind of money on something that may or may not sell, and if it does, will sell for 4.99 or so...

But it did arouse my curiosity. Can anybody enlighten me in what this development can consist of to warrant such astronomical fees? After all, we would supply the database with all the details, including images, language files and sound files. The girls tell me we would need both "Android" and Apple", but not to bother with a windows development as nobody uses it. So that's what I asked for, and those are the prices I got back...
    It is a good idea.

A no frills Java ME app might take an experienced developer several weeks.

The quotes you received are a starting point, they will increase as the life cycle progresses.
    In case this all goes pear-shaped, I'll bid you adieu

It’s not as expensive as you think and it’s really not hard to start.
    LINK
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Thanks for the responses. The bluecloud booklet is very useful, especially for an app-ignoramous like myself

We are looking at an alternative way of doing things, but not too sure if we could let people upload it onto iPhone, iPad, Macs without going through the Apple store. And if we have to, how on earth do you get it listed with them?

I suppose the bigger question is why do these guys (not just Apple) feel the need to constantly talk in riddles, incomprehensible tech-language and generally make life difficult for non-techies? Superiority complex?

Quote Originally Posted by Ephilant View Post
    I suppose the bigger question is why do these guys (not just Apple) feel the need to constantly talk in riddles, incomprehensible tech-language and generally make life difficult for non-techies? Superiority complex?
    Because the language and terms have specific meanings and are tied to concepts. That way a Bubble sort (an algorithm for sorting data) means the same thing to all programmers. All professions have their own terminology and protocols. With a programming language, it takes some time to get familiar with the language and its concepts.

Regards...jmcc

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    Because the language and terms have specific meanings and are tied to concepts. That way a Bubble sort (an algorithm for sorting data) means the same thing to all programmers. All professions have their own terminology and protocols. With a programming language, it takes some time to get familiar with the language and its concepts.

Regards...jmcc
    Sure, but I don't want/need to know the programming language, I DO need to understand what they mean when they say something, without the need of a doing 5 year PHD in computing first.
    I ask a guy a simple question, and get 20 pages of gobble-de-gook back which, to me, make absolutely no sense what so ever. It's something I've always had a problem with. These guys seem to be hellbend on outdoing each other speaking some secret code, totally oblivous of the fact that the person they are actually talking to doesn't understand an iota of what they are saying. Help files written by techies, for techies, with total disregard of the user who is the person who needs the help files in the first place.

Which Xcode framework would you like this to run on - Cocos2d
    That is not my problem, and shouldn't be. If the developer can make this run on coconuts, fine, I don't particularly care.
    It's a form of bullying, usually accompanied with an extortionate price tag which get more extortionate as the language gets more incomprehensible. What I want/need to know is can he/she do it, make it work nice and at what cost. If there are various ways of doing things, give me option 1, 2 or 3, without the jargon.
    It's a bit like you asking me about the weather here, and getting an answer in Greek. Correct, maybe? Usefull to you? Anything but... (unless you speak Greek of course )

Sorry for the rant, just one of those things that really annoy me.
    Last edited by Ephilant; 05-01-2013 at 10:04 AM.