Page 91 of 183 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 2745

Thread: Prospect of Invasion of Syria

Default Re: Prospect of Invasion of Syria

Quote Originally Posted by riposte View Post
    Hopefully Assad won't run out of barrels.
    I agree, Riposte.

The choice is Assad or ISIS.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

No ........ Assad should stay..... the CIA should go.
    Assad is a mass murderer, but then so are all the other factions too.

First, all the foreign interventions should end, starting with America. The Syrian Civil war has become a proxy war among all the reactionary factions in the area, the Syrian Kurds not excluded since they sold their souls to US imperialism. The Russians, whom some see as the saviors, now seem intent on cutting a deal with Turkey-on the backs of the Kurds no doubt.

Then perhaps some kind of anti-sectarian working class force might be able to arise to fight each and all of the sectarian mass murdering factions in Syria.

Or not. But then at least the war might end sooner or later, one way or another. Syria has been destroyed as a country.

-AMH-

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    I agree, Riposte.

Cancer or a heart attack basically. At least both of them are currently in the position, like it or not, of having to oppose US imperialism to survive. A quiet deal between them might be the best outcome, keep the bloody US hands out and maybe lead to an end to the civil war.

-AMH-

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Bar View Post
    A fascinating read and counter-argument to prevailing views on the contours of the conflict in both Iraq and Syria

http://warontherocks.com/2016/08/was...yria-and-iraq/
    A bit of a straw man article, actually. I have hardly ever seen anyone paint the conflict in Syria as an entirely sectarian one.

Apart from that it's pretty much just a whitewashing of the Assad regime and the Iraqi, Lebanese, Iranian and Afghan (mostly press ganged in Iran) forces which are keeping the dictator in the position he thinks he deserves.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Hopefully Assad won't run out of barrels.
    It's only a matter of time. As a famous republican once said .. "It's not those who can inflict the most but those who can endure the most who will prevail."
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Quote Originally Posted by pluralist View Post
    I agree, Riposte.

Tell that to the YPG .. Having worked had in glove with the regime in Aleppo they are now claiming that the Assad forces in Hasakah have turned on them because they are defeating ISIS.

There may be another explanation ... I don't know. I'm trying to think of one ....

Why is ISIS your big concern anyway? Russian bombing in Syria has and is killing many more civilians than ISIS could ever dream of.

And the blood on the hands of ISIS pales in comparison to that on the hands of the Assad family. They have been in the killing business for generations.
    Last edited by Sam Lord; 19-08-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A Marxist Historian View Post

First, all the foreign interventions should end, starting with America.
    You'd think it was the USA which is turning most of the country in rubble from the air and sea....

It's a bit like someone in the Vietnam war era looking at this conflict and declaring, "Well, first of all all foreign intervention should end, starting with China .. " while the US poured napalm on the place.

Some light reading for the Assad fans ...

'The worst place on earth': inside Assad's brutal Saydnaya prison

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...reconstruction

Over 17,000 dead in custody since 2011.

Assad is a mass murderer, but then so are all the other factions too.
    That's just bs, frankly. What rebel factions have been engaging in "mass murder" ? Name them please ....

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    That's just bs, frankly. What rebel factions have been engaging in "mass murder" ? Name them please ....
    Your beloved "Syrian rebels" have engaged in mass murder vs. Alawites, despite occasional qualms from their American sponsors. The worst being the recently rebaptised Al Q'aida franchise, and just as I predicted Al Q'aida promptly endorsed the rebranding. As for the Kurds, I suppose you could argue their ethnic cleansings, which you have contributed some decent posts about, are more retail than wholesale. I think that pretty much covers everyone.

-AMH-

Tell that to the YPG .. Having worked had in glove with the regime in Aleppo they are now claiming that the Assad forces in Hasakah have turned on them because they are defeating ISIS.

There may be another explanation ... I don't know. I'm trying to think of one ....

Why is ISIS your big concern anyway? Russian bombing in Syria has and is killing many more civilians than ISIS could ever dream of.

And the blood on the hands of ISIS pales in comparison to that on the hands of the Assad family. They have been in the killing business for generations.
    Can't think of the explanation? Plain as the nose on your face. The YPG has made clear that it now prefers American to Russian patronage, to the point that it is now starting to have serious conflicts with the PKK, whose efforts to get America to prefer them to Turkey have thus far been unavailing. There was a report I saw on the Internet a month or two ago, which I will attempt to track down, that the PKK has been engaging in purges of YPG loyalists at its headquarter in Iraq I think it is.

As for Assad, you make an accurate point. Has Russian bombing in Syria killed more civilians than ISIS? That is possible, it'd be nice to see some evidence for that if you have any.

But the death toll from what America has done to Syria and Iraq over the last couple decades, starving with Hillary's husbands starvation blockade in the '90s (killed over a million) and just getting worse year by year, is surely over two million and maybe getting near to three, dwarfing everything Russia, Assad, ISIS and everyone else put together are guilty of in the Middle East.

-AMH-
    Last edited by A Marxist Historian; 19-08-2016 at 05:49 PM.

Your beloved "Syrian rebels" have engaged in mass murder vs. Alawites, despite occasional qualms from their American sponsors.
    I can't think of anything one could class as "mass murder" in comparison to the Russian bombardment or the crimes of the Assad regime. Perhaps you could post a link.

As for the Kurds, I suppose you could argue their ethnic cleansings, which you have contributed some decent posts about, are more retail than wholesale. I think that pretty much covers everyone.
    Yes, the Kurds are engaged in unsavory stuff .. including the ethnic cleansing of Arab villages. But, again, it hardly falls into the category of "mass murder".

It's only a matter of time. As a famous republican once said .. "It's not those who can inflict the most but those who can endure the most who will prevail."
    Yeah......... that's why the Japan won the 2nd World War....... lol !!
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Yeah......... that's why the Japan won the 2nd World War....... lol !!
    we will see. But the only way Assad and the Russians will win in Syria is using Roman tactics .. make a desert and call it peace. And even then the next generation will come back to bite them. The teenagers and children who have received no education for years and who have grown up psychologically scarred by the constant bombing. They will be nice fodder for whoever wants to recruit them. And there will be those seeking to do this .. believe me.

But then of course you are in favour of barrel bombs being dropped on cities.

Can't think of the explanation? Plain as the nose on your face. The YPG has made clear that it now prefers American to Russian patronage, to the point that it is now starting to have serious conflicts with the PKK, whose efforts to get America to prefer them to Turkey have thus far been unavailing. There was a report I saw on the Internet a month or two ago, which I will attempt to track down, that the PKK has been engaging in purges of YPG loyalists at its headquarter in Iraq I think it is.
    So your view is that the Assad regime has suddenly turned on the YPG to the extent of using the Syrian Airforce to bomb their positions in Hasakah because the YPG has suddenly declared that it prefers the US to Russia?

This is unbelievably far fetched. The YPG under the guise of the SDF has long been the main instrument of the US in fighting ISIS. There is absolutely nothing new here. Of course, with regard to the broader conflict in Syria the YPG have also long been a tactical ally of the regime and the Russians. There is nothing new here either. They recently closed the siege of Aleppo for Assad and the Russians, seizing ground with the support of Russian airpower.

Their has been absolutely no new development with regard to the YPG position on the US or Russia. It's just business as usual.

I actually cannot say what prompted the ongoing fighting in Hasakah ... I was just pointing to the claims of the YPG. That it was to do with their recent successes against ISIS.

https://twitter.com/p_vanostaeyen

This, of course, may be propaganda but what you are claiming makes no sense at all.

As for Assad, you make an accurate point. Has Russian bombing in Syria killed more civilians than ISIS? That is possible, it'd be nice to see some evidence for that if you have any.
    Come on ... Think about it. Whole cities are being reduce to rubble from the air and sea. Hospitals and other medical facilities are being targeted, food markets are being targeted, grain silos are being targeted, convoys of humanitarian aid are being targeted, residential areas are being hit etc. and on a daily basis .. ISIS are savage but they don't have the technology to kill in this way. They don't have strategic bombers and cruise missiles.

But the death toll from what America has done to Syria and Iraq over the last couple decades, starving with Hillary's husbands starvation blockade in the '90s (killed over a million) and just getting worse year by year, is surely over two million and maybe getting near to three, dwarfing everything Russia, Assad, ISIS and everyone else put together are guilty of in the Middle East.
    I was discussing Syria ... not Iraq. Not sure why you are lumping the two together.

Page 91 of 183 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast