Page 184 of 184 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184
Results 2,746 to 2,756 of 2756

Thread: Prospect of Invasion of Syria

Default Re: Prospect of Invasion of Syria

Quote Originally Posted by A Marxist Historian View Post
    The policies of Trump are simply the policies of Obama on steroids. Obama recognized quite a while ago that the "Syrian rebels" were a losing card to play, and shifted to using the Kurds as his tools instead. Trump has simply dotted the i's and crossed the t's. Obviously, Trump would like to hand all the US bases over to the Kurds, but the current battle lines make that physically impossible.

And it seems as if the rebels are either flocking to ex-Al Q'aeda or selling themselves to a new puppet master, namely Israel. Now that ISIS is clearly on the rocks, the Israelis need a card to play of their own, and the "FSA" is quite suitable for the purpose.

Here is where Obama and Trump genuinely differ. The essence of Obama's Middle East policy was cutting a deal with Iran. The only really consistent Middle East foreign policy Trump has always advocated has been hate Iran. If Trump really wants to go to war with somebody, Iran would be his choice. That the Iranians foolishly agreed to ship out all their uranium under Obama's agreement could facilitate this. Missiles are all very well, but useless without an atomic punch.

How this will play out in Iraq will be interesting-but thoroughly unpleasant for the people of Iraq. And the world.

-AMH-
    Finally, on the nail, and born out over the last nine months.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Finally, on the nail, and born out over the last nine months.
    Why thanks, and welcome back. Nice to agree on Syria for once, and it would be pointless to argue over which of us changed our positions. Thought you'd dropped out, and moreover it looked until a fewdays ago that Politicalworld had followed you off the Internet.

Be it noted that whereas the "rebels" in the South are selling themselves to Israel, the "rebels" in the North who don't get along well with ex-Al Q'aida, who now genuinely are ex as the al Q'aida loyalists have split out, have already sold themselves to Turkey. The two last remaining patches of rebel territory are now essentially Turkish and Israeli occupation zones, except for the HTS controlled areas. And HTS, which has refused so far to cut a deal with any of the outside invaders and probably can't at this point, is going soon to follow its blood brother of ISIS into oblivion.

And then warfare will get fiercer, bloodier and more destructive, as the pawns leave the board and a no longer civil war over Syria erupts.

-AMH
    Last edited by A Marxist Historian; 12-05-2018 at 11:30 PM.

Pilger talks about 'pseudo journalism' and the biggest propoganda campaign since the Iraq war.

"Fisk interviewed a doctor in Douma who made a mockery of the claims about chemical warfare"

https://twitter.com/Darkcloudsloom/s...68386056359936

"Its another kind of march on Russia - the surrounding of Russia with missile bases"
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Another "impartial source" on Syria gone west:

many of you may have noticed frequent references in the media to a body called the ‘Syrian Observatory for Human Rights’, often quoted as if it is an impartial source of information about that complicated conflict, in which the British government clearly takes sides. The ‘Observatory’ says on its website that it is ‘not associated or linked to any political body.’

To which I reply: Is Boris Johnson’s Foreign Office not a political body? Because the FO just confirmed to me that ‘the UK funded a project worth £194,769.60 to provide the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights with communications equipment and cameras.’ That’s quite a lot, isn’t it?
    http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co....war-like-.html

No one gets an entry in RationalWiki for a good reason.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Peter_Hitchens
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post

I could draw the conclusion that there's no good reason why Peter Hitchens should have an entry in RationalWiki, but I'll confine myself to remarking that this is a pretty weak attempt to poison the well. I neither like nor trust any member of the Hitchens clan, but in present circumstances I reckon we often need mavericks like him to break information we won't get from the general media. Whether he's right or wrong, true or fake, will emerge in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hapax View Post
    I could draw the conclusion that there's no good reason why Peter Hitchens should have an entry in RationalWiki, but I'll confine myself to remarking that this is a pretty weak attempt to poison the well. I neither like nor trust any member of the Hitchens clan, but in present circumstances I reckon we often need mavericks like him to break information we won't get from the general media. Whether he's right or wrong, true or fake, will emerge in time.
    I hope you're not seriously suggesting that the Daily Mail, and anyone who has a platform on it are not part of the general media.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Mr. Hitchens is a dubious character, as indeed reading a bit further in the blog post illustrates. But his source for what he had to say about SOHR was the British Foreign Office. Of course, dubious characters as well, but this is what is known as admission against interest. And your posting is merely argumentum ad hominem, so worthless except as gossip.

-AMH

Quote Originally Posted by A Marxist Historian View Post
    Mr. Hitchens is a dubious character, as indeed reading a bit further in the blog post illustrates. But his source for what he had to say about SOHR was the British Foreign Office. Of course, dubious characters as well, but this is what is known as admission against interest. And your posting is merely argumentum ad hominem, so worthless except as gossip.

-AMH
    It still isn't clear to me whether Hapax' use of the phrase "another impartial source on Syria gone west" was referring to SOHR or Hitchens.

SOHR has long been considered anti-Assad, as is "the west" so I was making an assumption he was referring to Hitchens as an impartial source, and I was challenging that.

It still isn't clear to me whether Hapax' use of the phrase "another impartial source on Syria gone west" was referring to SOHR or Hitchens.

SOHR has long been considered anti-Assad, as is "the west" so I was making an assumption he was referring to Hitchens as an impartial source, and I was challenging that.
    I think it's pretty clear the reference was to SOHR, which Hitchens refers to as a reputedly impartial source, and which Hapax puts in quotations.

SOHR is certainly anti-Assad, but it does at least have pretensions to impartiality, unlike many others.

-AMH

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights is well known to be one person. £194,000.00 was a handy grant for someone who basically runs a blog.

I can report unequivocally that Politcalworld.org was offered no such grant.

— Jean-Paul Sartre

Page 184 of 184 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184