Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Labour/Fine Gael v Irish Social Media: Exactly who is bullying whom?

Default Labour/Fine Gael v Irish Social Media: Exactly who is bullying whom?

A full time carer of a child with severe autism, Gaia Charis recently came to prominence when West-Cork Labour TD Michael McCarthy's constituency office (himself or one of his staff - it's not clear) called the Gardai when she staged a one-woman protest at his office in response to the government's cowardly attack on carers in the recent budget.

The Gardai came hot foot to the scene of this heinous crime. Charis is one of the most articulate voices in Ireland about the treatment of people with disability. She has written a brilliant piece about her experience - one which also sheds crystal clear light on exactly why and how Irish people are kept so subservient and fearful in the face of abuses by the political establishment.

What happened to us when we arrived in Dunmanway, at the Constituency office of Labour TD Michael McCarthy has been widely circulated on social media and in the press and was a very long way from being funny.
    And [my emphasis]...

I did, after two days of social media outrage, receive a personal phone call from Deputy McCarthy who conveyed his unreserved apologies and I, not being one to hold a grudge, unreservedly accepted them. I have, however, left it to others to speculate as to whether Deputy McCarthy’s P.A. was acting on his instructions or not. The end result was, after all, equally distressing to us regardless of whose call it was.
    And...

This last week, leading up to the rubber-stamping of a vicious budget, has seen a media litany of heart-rending hardship and I am sure that I am not the only person left in tears by the agony and the dignity of this nation’s Carers. And yet this has made no dent at all in the Coalition’s steely Scroogery. So Deputy McCarthy, what can I possibly say to you that will be of any significance to either you or the Minister? Shall I tell you that I have had three days off in nineteen years? Shall I tell you that I, an ex-University lecturer, am now reduced to getting up at six in the morning to launder wet bed-linen on off-peak tariffs in a desperate bid to manage unaffordable bills? Shall I tell you that the home-based work that I did manage to do around my son’s needs has collapsed, taking with it the dignity of self-sufficiency and independence, positioning me in the ranks of those single mothers that Minister Burton so clearly despises? There is no point is there Deputy McCarthy, when I am just one of thousands to whom this government is oblivious?
    'How did it come to this?'

...I will tell you Deputy McCarthy. This point has been arrived at by a rule of fear that has, for decades, left decent, ordinary people too afraid to speak out against a culture of authoritarian bullying that permeates every level of Irish society, a culture which grants power in the absence of conscience and entitlement in the absence of integrity, a culture that allows the privileged few to inflict misery on the many. A culture, Deputy McCarthy, that sees rural homes burgled because there are no Gardai to protect them whilst a carful can be called to your office at a moment’s notice to see off a 59 year old Carer, a student with a camera, an autistic boy and a rescue dog.
    This is the sort of voice and criticism that the government really wants to silence and 'control' - this is the kind of person it wants to frighten because they speak a truth that is - and should be - lethal to their viciously destructive hegemony. I posted a link to Charis' article on Reddit Ireland and guess what? A lot of people took the trouble to vote it down. Does the Labour Party have its own Hasbara-type operatives on the internet?

I ask everyone reading this also to read Gaia's piece in full and to post links to it whenever and wherever they can. It could not be more pertinent in the context of recent events:

http://www.gaiacharis.com/site/index...lehold-of-fear
    Last edited by MediaBite; 27-12-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Default Re: Labour/Fine Gael v Irish Social Media: Exactly who is bullying whom?

Nail on the head.

Imo, it was not any anon. comments that Shane MacEntee was politically damaged by, it was the campaign of a mother, a carer, who was neither anonymous, nor relying on social media.

http://www.lmfm.ie/Local-News-Info/Article/?ItemID=1880

Meanwhile a protest over the planned cut to the Respite Care Grant, is to be held outside local Fine Gael TD Damien English's constituency office in Navan later today.

It's due to take place at 12.30pm.
    Trish Flood - a mother of two special needs children, is urging people to turn out in support of the protest.
    Note also that a number of well organised protests have been organised on Face Book recently.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: Labour/Fine Gael v Irish Social Media: Exactly who is bullying whom?

This could be fun - Aodhán Ó Ríordáin -

‏@AodhanORiordain
    One of my 2013 priorities is to update 1989 Incitement to Hatred Act which pre-dates a more multi-cultural Ireland & the social media age.
    I wonder will any of our current TD's tackle the "whip system" in 2013.

A lot of TD's running very very scared over the upcoming "Abortion Debate"
    Thomas Jefferson : Banking Establishments are More Dangerous to our Liberties than Standing Armies.

Quote Originally Posted by MediaBite View Post
    A full time carer of a child with severe autism, Gaia Charis recently came to prominence when West-Cork Labour TD Michael McCarthy's constituency office (himself or one of his staff - it's not clear) called the Gardai when she staged a one-woman protest at his office in response to the government's cowardly attack on carers in the recent budget.

The Gardai came hot foot to the scene of this heinous crime. Charis is one of the most articulate voices in Ireland about the treatment of people with disability. She has written a brilliant piece about her experience - one which also sheds crystal clear light on exactly why and how Irish people are kept so subservient and fearful in the face of abuses by the political establishment.

And [my emphasis]...

And...

'How did it come to this?'

This is the sort of voice and criticism that the government really wants to silence and 'control' - this is the kind of person it wants to frighten because they speak a truth that is - and should be - lethal to their viciously destructive hegemony. I posted a link to Charis' article on Reddit Ireland and guess what? A lot of people took the trouble to vote it down. Does the Labour Party have its own Hasbara-type operatives on the internet?

I ask everyone reading this also to read Gaia's piece in full and to post links to it whenever and wherever they can. It could not be more pertinent in the context of recent events:

http://www.gaiacharis.com/site/index...lehold-of-fear
    Thanks for that post. I believe in speaking up the truth however it may be unpalatable to them.

Truth does hurts especially to some politcians, whose seats are in stake. Hence these politicians want to implement the control on soclal media whether it be twitter, facebook et al.

I recently posted on Twitter and received serious criticism from one responder. I don't mind criticism - not at all - but this responder saw fit to mention the recent suicide of a TD to justify the criticism! Yet my tweet had nothing to do with suicide or death!
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

The culture of bullying exists inside ALL political parties themselves and is widely colluded with by the political class and the media as being normal behaviour. This results in the progressive brutalisation of at least some of our politicians who are forced to engage with this culture. Others were probably born that way and exhibit the signs of anti social personalities. The ethos of democratic centralism, to compound matters , feeds this tendency into the Labour Party. ( The utterances for instance, about Colm Keaveney) This should matter as we then have these numbed people negotiating on our behalf with the Troika and passing budgets that take money from Carers.

Another breathtakingly hypocritical aspect of the proposed attack on social media is the fact that all the main political parties have anonymous trolls and posters scouring discussion fora like this one, trolling and derailing any effective criticism or discussion of politicians and politics. The 'other place' has been almost completely destroyed by them. It's virtually impossible to have serious discussion there at all in my opinion, which is exactly the outcome that was wanted. The moderators there are clearly also politically aligned to the main parties in many instances - and also anonymous.
    Last edited by MediaBite; 28-12-2012 at 04:50 AM.

The mainstream media is full of quotes from anonymous political sources, advisers and politicians.

The attack on anonymous social media is a political attack on freedom of speech opportunistically supported by media who believe that social media is spoiling their profitability.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Another breathtakingly hypocritical aspect of the proposed attack on social media is the fact that all the main political parties have anonymous trolls and posters scouring discussion fora like this one, trolling and derailing any effective criticism or discussion of politicians and politics. The 'other place' has been almost completely destroyed by them. It's virtually impossible to have serious discussion there at all in my opinion, which is exactly the outcome that was wanted. The moderators there are clearly also politically aligned to the main parties in many instances - and also anonymous.
    FG also fans of anonymous texting according to Dan Boyle

Dan Boyle ‏@sendboyle

I'm sorry I can't take John Bruton's comments on anonymous texting seriously. Fine Gael has long run campaigns of 'ordinary' people texting.
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

The " other place "?
    I have found PW largely free from trolling and abuse. Indeed I ave received apologies from what I regard as legitimate criticism!

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

+1

I was always outnumbered but never outgunned on that place. The mods political affiliations are well known. Im not gonna go into a massive bitching session but cant fault what you are saying. Some of the threads during the Norris campaign were a complete disgrace, there was one if I remember which got a mention in the mainstream media. To back up your assertion on the serious discussion aspect, there was a thread reportedly pulled from the other place over Shane Mc Entees death because of a number of less than nice comments that were made

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...328152765.html

Since his death on Friday there have been dozens of instances of abusive comments pertaining to his death on social media, on online forums and on Facebook and Twitter. Most have been posted anonymously. One thread containing such comments was removed by moderators from the Politics.iesite.
    Addressing your original point there was also the same reaction to the imprisonment of Mark Marku, the Albanian national in Greece with neither thejournal.ie picking up on it and boards.ie going so far as to give me a warning for posting it in the After Hours (that is the general area for such topics, they allow drivel but try to raise the plioght of a young man being held against his will and Im warned).

Perhaps there should be a need to play them at their own game. We are not talking about flaming or trolling bu when such articles as the one that you put on reddit came about we should vote en masse and get it tweeted and bump it up ourselves.A lot of us have connections throughout the web in terms of the people we talk to. Sites like your own, CLR, twitter and other media platforms we could create a user network to counter such 'Hasbaras'.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

David Quinn has an article in the Indo today. Up to ninety he is too.He mentions in the last paragraph, the mods on political sites......

Quote Originally Posted by Greengoddess View Post
    The " other place "?
    Another Irish politics board, the name of which we do not mention here, commonly referred to as "the other place/parish".
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    Another Irish politics board, the name of which we do not mention here, commonly referred to as "the other place/parish".
    Ah! Thought it might be the other side of a singularity!

Quote Originally Posted by Greengoddess View Post
    David Quinn has an article in the Indo today. Up to ninety he is too.He mentions in the last paragraph, the mods on political sites......
    Ah, the Indo.

Irish Politics is the hardest job in the world according to that bastion of journalism.

Coal Mining, Brain Surgery, astronaut....all pale in comparison

Our politicians have blind spots and all sorts of flaws. They misjudge situations from time to time and make errors of all kinds. But the vast bulk of them are doing their best. They have chosen the hardest job in the modern world.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...m-3335432.html
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast