Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: French journalist: 'Ireland at the service of her Gracious Majesty'

Default Re: French journalist: 'Ireland at the service of her Gracious Majesty'

Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    Nope he's right, its un interprète. The action can be called 'traduire'(translating) but the noun is 'un interprète'. I'm admittedly nitpicking here though as French people pay less attention to correct French than foreigners. I have seldom heard a French person speak like they do in the tape exam. I think that's always the case. Out of interest which language did you say you use with flatmates?
    At a professional level interpreters and translators generally move in very different spheres. These days most professional translators work from home and are usually engaged on fairly hundrum stuff like software manuals or EU docs.
    Interpreters are the hotshots hopping on a plane every second day.
    Completely different personality types usually involved as well for obvious reasons

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    Did you not scorn me recently for telling me that wanting a more intergrated Europe was a pie in the sky idea?

Multilingualism opens up a whole lot of doors for this economically damp kip of an island. Companies like HP and Ebay cant get enough speakers of foreign languages here for jobs because Irish people dont seem to speak those languages.You are like myself, you have a flair for languages but tend to keep them up and up to speed where as mine are a tad rusty!

Easiest solution is to open up our schools and have immersiomn programmes and specific schools for the languages that are up and coming (Spanish, Russian, Portugese, Chinese) and Irish which is another feather to the bow.
    I have never made any secret of my belief, that no matter how much I scorn our pitiful republic, the only people fit to govern Ireland are the Irish themselves. It truly is better to govern your own country with mediocrity, or even badly than to have someone else run it 'well', according to what someone else sees as running your country well. In that sense, yes Is mise sinn feiner. I do think Ireland should run its' own affairs, and I think a bit less naiievety and a bit more cynicism is needed on Ireland's part when we are dealing with big European countries who have imperialist histories, imperialist tendencies and imperialist governments.

I would not say though that if we did somehow manage to have a Taoiseach that spoke French or German, that it automatically would make them less servile or less gombeen like. Sure look at Lenihan-fluent in French so to speak. He did a great job telling Lagarde over the phone that we would bail out her banks. I have no desire to please my betters, in any language, and nor should any right thinking Irish politician, if there can be such a thing. I think we need to wisen up as a country. Get smart. Yes learn these languages, yes make alliances, but we need to look after our own interests and get our head out of Europe's and Germany's arse. Where Europe is headed is either for a monstrous superstate or else for total break up and anarchy. Judging by recent events in Ireland, what we need right now is a bit of anarchy.

It will probably be triggered by the election of some demagogue elsewhere though rather than here. I can see Le Pen as a President of France in the very near future. I've been to one of her fascist rallies(one of my worst memories of any political event), and believe me if that woman gets elected Europe is in trouble. However if Merkel gets re-elected we are in similar trouble anyways. And her opposite number Steinbruck is equally sureto make perpetual Quislings of us.

The price of freedom is worth paying to let these imperialists keep at each others throats rather than have the wolf of a tallyman forever at our door. Yes I'm a great believer in languages and culture etc. but Ireland's role in the World lies along the old role of Frank Aiken in the UN general assembly. He was arguably Ireland's finest politician in the history of the state(which admittedly isn't too hard). Economically, a multilingual Ireland could play these countries off each other whilst showing solidarity and giving international support to emerging small nations who seek their freedom and place in the World. Call it cute hoorism at Europe's expense if you want to. But this small nation has nothing in common with the imperialist powers of Europe and it never did. Britain, Germany, France and others are in it for their own gain. Why should we acquiesce to German financial demands?

And this nonsense that Ireland has to remain in the EU to have any impact in Europe or the World shouldn't be paid any heed to either. People forget how influential Ireland was becoming from the early sixties onwards right upto as Ogiol said, the signing of the nuclear non-proliferation treaty which Aiken had a massive hand in. The small nations of this world, and even some of the bigger powers, gave Ireland far more clout when we were an emerging intermediary with truly independent policies rather than a European colony.
    Last edited by Apjp; 23-12-2012 at 01:10 AM.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Nope he's right, its un interprète. The action can be called 'traduire'(translating) but the noun is 'un interprète'. I'm admittedly nitpicking here though as French people pay less attention to correct French than foreigners. I have seldom heard a French person speak like they do in the tape exam. I think that's always the case. Out of interest which language did you say you use with flatmates?
    Couple of words of Spanish but if we are in the mood French just to try and keep it brushed up but as you can see its getting seriously lacking. I might have to pop into the language exchange in the Ilac Centre to improve it!
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

I have never made any secret of my belief, that no matter how much I scorn our pitiful republic, the only people fit to govern Ireland are the Irish themselves. It truly is better to govern your own country with mediocrity, or even badly than to have someone else run it 'well', according to what someone else sees as running your country well. In that sense, yes Is mise sinn feiner. I do think Ireland should run its' own affairs, and I think a bit less naiievety and a bit more cynicism is needed on Ireland's part when we are dealing with big European countries who have imperialist histories, imperialist tendencies and imperialist governments.

I would not say though that if we did somehow manage to have a Taoiseach that spoke French or German, that it automatically would make them less servile or less gombeen like. Sure look at Lenihan-fluent in French so to speak. He did a great job telling Lagarde over the phone that we would bail out her banks. I have no desire to please my betters, in any language, and nor should any right thinking Irish politician, if there can be such a thing. I think we need to wisen up as a country. Get smart. Yes learn these languages, yes make alliances, but we need to look after our own interests and get our head out of Europe's and Germany's arse. Where Europe is headed is either for a monstrous superstate or else for total break up and anarchy. Judging by recent events in Ireland, what we need right now is a bit of anarchy.

It will probably be triggered by the election of some demagogue elsewhere though rather than here. I can see Le Pen as a President of France in the very near future. I've been to one of her fascist rallies(one of my worst memories of any political event), and believe me if that woman gets elected Europe is in trouble. However if Merkel gets re-elected we are in similar trouble anyways. And her opposite number Steinbruck is equally sureto make perpetual Quislings of us.

The price of freedom is worth paying to let these imperialists keep at each others throats rather than have the wolf of a tallyman forever at our door. Yes I'm a great believer in languages and culture etc. but Ireland's role in the World lies along the old role of Frank Aiken in the UN general assembly. He was arguably Ireland's finest politician in the history of the state(which admittedly isn't too hard). Economically, a multilingual Ireland could play these countries off each other whilst showing solidarity and giving international support to emerging small nations who seek their freedom and place in the World. Call it cute hoorism at Europe's expense if you want to. But this small nation has nothing in common with the imperialist powers of Europe and it never did. Britain, Germany, France and others are in it for their own gain. Why should we acquiesce to German financial demands?

And this nonsense that Ireland has to remain in the EU to have any impact in Europe or the World shouldn't be paid any heed to either. People forget how influential Ireland was becoming from the early sixties onwards right upto as Ogiol said, the signing of the nuclear non-proliferation treaty which Aiken had a massive hand in. The small nations of this world, and even some of the bigger powers, gave Ireland far more clout when we were an emerging intermediary with truly independent policies rather than a European colony.

To be anarchists we have to instill a sense of fire in people. Irish people at the moment are akin to drug users high on cash but are seeing their next fix being a long time away and the amount they are getting being shorter. Cue the money drying up and only then, with our backs against the wall will we get out there. Language usage here is f**kin terrible, lets be honest looking at facebook tonight a lot of people struggle with English (not that Im excluded from that category) so if we cannot master English we may never master other foreign languages.

How influential is Ireland now? The master Germany dangles a carrot and like a poxy donkey we try to take a bite every now and again. Ireland may be a great nation and have the potential but the peopel are the driving force behind any great nation and until such time you get them off their holes and fighting then this whole charade of paying bondholders and getting raped by Europe is going to continue.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Its good to get angry sometimes

Couple of words of Spanish but if we are in the mood French just to try and keep it brushed up but as you can see its getting seriously lacking. I might have to pop into the language exchange in the Ilac Centre to improve it!
    Maybe take a sejour?

To be anarchists we have to instill a sense of fire in people. Irish people at the moment are akin to drug users high on cash but are seeing their next fix being a long time away and the amount they are getting being shorter. Cue the money drying up and only then, with our backs against the wall will we get out there. Language usage here is f**kin terrible, lets be honest looking at facebook tonight a lot of people struggle with English (not that Im excluded from that category) so if we cannot master English we may never master other foreign languages.

How influential is Ireland now? The master Germany dangles a carrot and like a poxy donkey we try to take a bite every now and again. Ireland may be a great nation and have the potential but the peopel are the driving force behind any great nation and until such time you get them off their holes and fighting then this whole charade of paying bondholders and getting raped by Europe is going to continue.
    Then why advocate such a model in perpetuity? Giving more authority to the fucckers who caused the mess will only make things worse. this is where your argument and the argument of your party is shown up completely.

Maybe take a sejour?
    Dont tempt me! On a recent trip to France last year the conversation flowed with taxi drivers, waiters, bus drivers in fact any excuse to strike up conversation!

Then why advocate such a model in perpetuity? Giving more authority to the fucckers who caused the mess will only make things worse. this is where your argument and the argument of your party is shown up completely.
    Its where we differ (without dragging the topic off topic), I see us rebuilding the EU where as you see us being seperate from it.

It all comes down to whether or not you see Ireland as an independent and sovereign state or a Vichy state/some sort of client state.

It all comes down to whether or not you see Ireland as an independent and sovereign state or a Vichy state/some sort of client state.
    Im not taking the bait

I guess Liberation journo Jean Quatremer won't be in attendance
    Taoiseach Enda Kenny will be joined by other senior politicians and members of the diplomatic corps at a Dublin Castle ceremony this morning for the start of Ireland’s six-month presidency of the European Council.

The public are invited to attend the ceremony which starts at 10.45am. They can gain access from 10am through the Palace Street gate.
    The flag-raising ceremony will mark three milestones: the beginning of Ireland’s seventh EU presidency, the 40th anniversary of EU accession and the European Year of Citizens.

Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade Eamon Gilmore, Minister of State for European Affairs Lucinda Creighton and Lord Mayor of Dublin Fine Gael Cllr Naoise Ó Muirí will also take part in the event.

Ireland’s European commissioner Máire Geogeghan-Quinn is expected as well, along with opposition leaders, Irish MEPs, heads of EU offices in Dublin (the commission and European Parliament) and others.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...328279789.html

Dont tempt me! On a recent trip to France last year the conversation flowed with taxi drivers, waiters, bus drivers in fact any excuse to strike up conversation!
    Nobody else to talk to in France except waiters and drivers? Come on..

No opposition party leader should disgrace their voters by turning up to that meeting unless it is to give the Eurocrats a good auld heckle.

Nobody else to talk to in France except waiters and drivers? Come on..
    There was the locals at the gig I went to but the crate of Kronenberg before hand meant I didnt remember...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123