Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ganley Threatens to Sue and Threatens Journalist With Arrest Over Tweets and Blog

Default Ganley Threatens to Sue and Threatens Journalist With Arrest Over Tweets and Blog

A journalist and member here, Kevin Barrington, has been threatened with arrest and is being sued by Declan Ganley for remarks made in recent tweets and also for a blog post on the right wing groupings gathered under the Libertas eu umbrella. The blog post was made last May on Barrington's personal blog.

There is nothing unusual in this, as Ganley has a history of threatening legal action against critics. Anyone raising his history in Iraq, his extensive involvement with the US military, his Eastern European business interests and the very toxic collection of far right traditionalists, near-nazis, anti-semites and Hitler-saluting nationalists who he attempted to weld together into a pan European party may expect some kind of hostile attention.

Ganley likes to threaten to sue -

http://peoplekorps.blogspot.ie/2009/...o-sue-but.html
    In Barrington's case, some satirical and unfriendly tweet's directed to an Irish comedian, others to the world in general, on pro-life supporters, were retweeted by Ganley and I guess it is those tweets that are subject to action, given that Ganley was mentioned in one.

Barrington, as well as a journalist, is also a poet. Anyone interested in reading his work will find a couple of examples on our writing blog "itsapoeticalworld." Recommended

The blog post complained of by Ganley appears to have contained material about Ganley that historical and widely published elsewhere, including this quote from the Wiesenthal Centre.

Libertas is running some 600 candidates in over 20 of the elections in the 27 member-states. Some of those standing are known antisemites, homophobes and anti-migrant racists. These include:

- Ryszard Bender and Anna Sobecka of the Polish League of Families. Both are supporters of the widely criticized antisemitic Radio Maryja, where Bender was recorded as stating that Auschwitz was 'not a death camp but a labour camp where Jews and Gypsies were killed by hard labour – not so hard, not always killed."

" Georgios Georgiou, of the Greek LAOS party which was described by the United States State Department as antisemitic, racist and xenophobic. Uschi Winkelsett, head of the German extreme right Republikaner party, claimed to have received congratulations from Libertas upon her election. There are also press reports of Libertas' outreach to the Austrian BZO party of the late Hitler admirer, Jörg Haider."
    Since Ganley first appeared on the political scene, he has managed to espouse the US military, "disaster capitalism," successive business failures, spectacular electoral failure across Europe, Swiss "refuge" banking, and the European far right, abroad, while at home maintaining, by hook or by crook, an image of an "open and transparent" successful entrepreneur on the side of the people. Going so far as to attach himself to the coat tails of the fine people of Ballyhea, who in my opinion deserve much better company. http://www.indymedia.ie/article/87311

In the past, Ganley has threatened critical journalists with being sued. This time, he additionally threatened to have the journalist arrested, under the "Non-fatal Offences Against the Person Act" which carries the threat of a large fine and a jail term of up to 6 years. This is a new and disturbing legal approach when used in the arena of political commentary.

I'm making no comments on Barrington's tweets or the content of the blog article, (other than items quoted in it from published sources), as these matters may come up in Court and should not be prejudiced.

Everyone has a right to their good name. Factual reportage of, and freedom to oppose political viewpoints is also a right of great social importance.

The far right, when Ganley first came on the political scene, was a dim and microscopic entity. Now we have seen what has happened in Greece, when social fabric is strained by poverty and struggle over diminishing resources, it is more important than ever that it is reported on. If Ganley wants to disassociate himself from his past connections with far right groups, it is open for him to do that through his own political actions and statements, rather than by silencing critics.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 13-01-2013 at 11:08 PM.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: Ganley Sues and Threatens Journalist With Arrest Over Tweets and Blog

Has Ganley ever returned the membership fees he collected for his Libertas party?
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Default Re: Ganley Sues and Threatens Journalist With Arrest Over Tweets and Blog

This time, he additionally threatened to have the journalist arrested, under the "Non-fatal Offences Against the Person Act" which carries the threat of a large fine and a jail term of up to 6 years. I understand that this threat has been withdrawn, but is a new and disturbing legal approach when used in the arena of political commentary.
    Apparently, a complaint was made.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Maidir Le: Ganley Sues and Threatens Journalist With Arrest Over Tweets and Blog

A complaint was made by whom? I am glad to hear of it in any case and to know that the "Non-fatal Offences Against the Person Act" charge has been withdrawn. It was absurd and disproportionate.

Those who choose to seek fame and glory through political status must accept that their financial and political dealings will be subject to rigorous scrutiny.

Default Re: Maidir Le: Ganley Sues and Threatens Journalist With Arrest Over Tweets and Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    A complaint was made by whom? I am glad to hear of it in any case and to know that the "Non-fatal Offences Against the Person Act" charge has been withdrawn. It was absurd and disproportionate.

Those who choose to seek fame and glory through political status must accept that their financial and political dealings will be subject to rigorous scrutiny.
    I wasn't clear enough. It appears that Ganley has made a complaint to the Gardai, about the content of one or more tweet.

Not a lot we can say about it, now it is in the legal arena.

I agree about the scrutiny of political dealings and views - it is basic democracy.

Going to the Gardai, in my personal view, should be resorted to only in the event of genuinely feeling under threat.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

There's history there as well, of course.
    Apr 28th, 2009 | By admin | Category: GENERAL
    Today 28 April Declan Ganley agreed in the High Court to withdraw proceedings he had taken against Village over the article displayed immediately below. Village paid no damages to Mr Ganley and the article remained on the shelves, despite Mr Ganley’s threats to have it removed in February. The article – among other things – quoted Minister for Europe Dick Roche saying Mr Ganley was a liar. Village agreed to publish an interview with Mr Ganley in its April edition but the chosen interviewer, Mr Bruce Arnold, submitted a piece which gave no evidence he had interviewed Mr Ganley for Village but was instead a paean to him. We published it anyway.

Below we publish Bruce Arnold’s (non)-interview and our response to that article – making three articles in total!

Declan Ganley, Snakeoil Salesman (Feb Village by Kevin Barrington)
    http://www.villagemagazine.ie/index....s-proceedings/

Kev Bar Guest

Default Re: Maidir Le: Ganley Sues and Threatens Journalist With Arrest Over Tweets and Blog

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I wasn't clear enough. It appears that Ganley has made a complaint to the Gardai, about the content of one or more tweet.

Not a lot we can say about it, now it is in the legal arena.

I agree about the scrutiny of political dealings and views - it is basic democracy.

Going to the Gardai, in my personal view, should be resorted to only in the event of genuinely feeling under threat.

I was a tad worried I was a threat.

(Any one here ever met me?)

But I was reliably informed by none other than Ganley's former spokesperson, aide and confidant, that I was a 'decent' chap.

Now I don't know who I am.

Great article, great research. Well done Kev Bar.
    I somehow get the impression you wont be fazed by Dec Gan and his blustering threats

<<Declan Ganley, Snakeoil Salesman (Feb Village by Kevin Barrington)>>

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Bar View Post
    I was a tad worried I was a threat.

(Any one here ever met me?)

But I was reliably informed by none other than Ganley's former spokesperson, aide and confidant, that I was a 'decent' chap.

Now I don't know who I am.
    I'm afraid you're notorious now, Kev. You've made it to page 6 of this week's Phoenix

Kev Bar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eamo View Post
    Great article, great research. Well done Kev Bar.
    I somehow get the impression you wont be fazed by Dec Gan and his blustering threats

<<Declan Ganley, Snakeoil Salesman (Feb Village by Kevin Barrington)>>

There are many ways they try faze you.

However, it has been suggested by those who care about me and fhose for whom I care deeply that I shut the **** up for a while.

And.

Well, trying new things is what life is all about.

Cheers.

full solidarity with kevbar

People Korps Guest

Kevin STF Up
    retirement is for fishing, hanging with the grandkids not laps of honour, that said
    the original and some might say the best blog on the subject is run by someone who tends towards knowledgeable karate chops and caution. I will miss you Kev Bar now Shut the f@@@ up and have a lovely Christmas and New Year.

Ganley suing is an annoying tactic but at the same time a pointless tool in the arsenal of a right wing zealot. We live in a digital world baby. Even his Boy Robin John McGuirk is aware of that.

What I always find bizarre but possibly a factor in the death of print journalism is the fact that the guardians of our liberties, a free press and free politicians have been so ham-fisted, silent and fearful regarding the Watford wannabe. There are more than 900 posts on my blog at least 100 deserve further investigation by legit media and yet we still have the John Paul II society, Iona institute lackies and pawns of the far right dictating terms to our press. fair play to RTE Primetime for sticking to their guns on Ganley and his ilk.

Kevin Barrington is a poet, his social commentary and prose poems have illuminated and inspired and yet fall in the main under a little used political tool called ART. His journalism has been stellar but also tends towards the poetic. I have no problem stating that despite being a 'Trinity Man' and Kevin being a product of that lessor institution UCD. It is not for nothing that Wilde, Swift and Thomas Davis led the path from my alma mater. Yet Kevin's writing embodies the poetical beauty of Davis, the incisive cutting wit of Wilde combined with the impeccable logic of Swift so I declare him to be an honorary Trinners man.
    Now John McGurik is also a Trinners man but left with an inglorious third and still shines in his ability to withstand personal and political opprobrium and become a media celebrity of sorts. NO such fate has been granted to the opposition to the hard right threat embodied by Ganley and his cadre EVEN by and especially EVEN by Vincent Browne who parades the Ganley machine and his spear chuckers at every opportunity.

The facts speak for themselves, there is a potential for an in-depth 12 page article in a proper journal re Herr Ganley. That said, hysteria such as early Indymedia stuff is unhelpful. The truth is worse than the speculation regarding CIA or other such nonsense. Having charted his rise from the Kipelova forests in Russia through his own press statemnets there is little that a hack would need to do other than analyse Ganley's own statements to come to the basic conclusions that The Village came to in 2009 and more...........

The fact is that unless a free press looks into such people then activists are wasting their time
    and indeed end up looking like a lunatic fringe while a true danger to society and democracy gets lauded by Vincent Browne and others of the left and championed by the David Quinns, Richard Waghornes and Gurdievs of the hard right.

At some point you have to wonder why bother? perhaps Ireland needs a man leading a party that wants to have a green card imposed on the border between the North and the south, who champions military conflict, and who courts the hard right across Europe.

If the people wont defend themselves there is little that can be done to help them in the face of totalitarianism, totalitarian-ists and Utopian free marketeers with a dubious background, questionable past and associations. Go figure. Have a nice life Kev Bar but **** and let the Teflon Don take the flak.

Some love too little, some too long,
    Some sell, and others buy;
    Some do the deed with many tears,
    And some without a sigh:
    For each man kills the thing he loves,
    Yet each man does not die.

He does not die a death of shame
    On a day of dark disgrace,
    Nor have a noose about his neck,
    Nor a cloth upon his face,
    Nor drop feet foremost through the floor
    Into an empty place

He does not sit with silent men
    Who watch him night and day;
    Who watch him when he tries to weep,
    And when he tries to pray;
    Who watch him lest himself should rob
    The prison of its prey.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 13-01-2013 at 12:18 PM.

I've had run-ins with Kevin here on the subject of aborion, and we have robustly debated other issues in the past, but I have always taken it in the spirit with which it was meant - respectful debate with no quarter given on either side. I do not know the nature of the particular tweet or blog at issue, but I hope that any such proceedings are shelved in short order. Free speech must be upheld.
    Boycott Chiquita

that said hysteria such as early Indymedia stuff is unhelpful the truth is worse than the speculation regarding CIA or some such nonsense.
    The close links with the US military and the European far right don't cancel each other out at all. Ganley was accompanied through much of his early business career by the same US mentor.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Also, if the issue at stake is the fact that elements of Ganley's pan-European adventure indeed involved unsavoury and probably racist people, then I don't see the grounds for a case - it is an evident truth.
    Boycott Chiquita

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast