Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Savita Halappanavar investigations

Default Re: Savita Halappanavar investigations

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    But in the absence of those investigations, all we have is supposition and speculation. The reportage on this seems to be following agendas rather than the facts (of which there are few).

Regards...jmcc
    No-one is disputing that the Halappanavars were refused a termination. When you speak of 'agendas' I predict that there will be an attempt to say that Savita was suffering from some other reason for septicaemia other than the miscarriage she was undergoing.

Although that may be problematic for the hospital as they would have presumably checked her out on admission and if she didn't have septicaemia then I suspect that any attempt to say the miscarriage had nothing to do with the septicaemia thereafter might be a bit shaky.

And when we speak of 'the facts' I recall asking you which of the three investigations is due to go into the response given by the medical team at Galway University Hospital and their reason for refusal to carry out a procedure.

The answer is of course that the hospital's notes on the case will be found to be bare- will not make any mention of a 'this is a catholic country' response from the medical team to the Halappanavars ... the other inquiries will carefully steer around any such discussion of what was said to the Halappanavars of course.

And the net result will be that the state will imply Praveen was a liar- without exactly saying so by allowing the question of the reason given to him for denial of the termination to fall between three official stools.

And the result? Women who attend Galway University Hospital will not be able to feel confident that decisions affecting their life will take place against a purely clinical background.

The stink of mental pygmies in white coats will continue in the same way that it continued for years around pelvis crunching in Irish maternity hospitals.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    No-one is disputing that the Halappanavars were refused a termination. When you speak of 'agendas' I predict that there will be an attempt to say that Savita was suffering from some other reason for septicaemia other than the miscarriage she was undergoing.

Although that may be problematic for the hospital as they would have presumably checked her out on admission and if she didn't have septicaemia then I suspect that any attempt to say the miscarriage had nothing to do with the septicaemia thereafter might be a bit shaky.

And when we speak of 'the facts' I recall asking you which of the three investigations is due to go into the response given by the medical team at Galway University Hospital and their reason for refusal to carry out a procedure.

The answer is of course that the hospital's notes on the case will be found to be bare- will not make any mention of a 'this is a catholic country' response from the medical team to the Halappanavars ... the other inquiries will carefully steer around any such discussion of what was said to the Halappanavars of course.

And the net result will be that the state will imply Praveen was a liar- without exactly saying so by allowing the question of the reason given to him for denial of the termination to fall between three official stools.

And the result? Women who attend Galway University Hospital will not be able to feel confident that decisions affecting their life will take place against a purely clinical background.

The stink of mental pygmies in white coats will continue in the same way that it continued for years around pelvis crunching in Irish maternity hospitals.
    +1

Savita was still refused a termination when she requested one, even if the reports showed that the foetus had no impact on the septicaemia this woman was still denied a choice. Doctors , one has to imagine, if placed in a similar situation could also be burdened with the worries that there may be a grey area of law surrounding the life of the mother and are worried if they remove a foetus then they could risk being sued or struck off as the law is an ass. Praveen had no reason to lie what so ever when he mentioned about the catholic comment and therefore I would be inclined to believe what he said.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

The discussion going on now in the Dail Committee is interesting - opposite views being provided, but plenty of information.

A good discussion on women at risk of suicide at the moment can be listened to via the live stream.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

I have been following it and notice also that in Dublin at least six women have had terminations where the pregnancy was a danger to them at one hospital so it appears that there at least we can feel safe that clinical decisions are being made.

Terence Flanagan seems to be leading with the leading questions from FG on 'ethics'. I note also that it is admitted that the IMO only note cases where there is a conflict when there is an actual written complaint to the IMO concerning a doctor. This leads me to believe that we may well have a situation where those who are reticent about making a complaint against a doctor may not be reporting.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

The stink of mental pygmies in white coats
    I love this clause Con..... is it OK with you if I include it in a poem?
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Aye, help yourself there riposte ... mind you I suspect it could be improved with the amendment to; 'perdition-linamented stink of white coated mental pygmies'.

I might repeat that to myself all the way home. There's something very lipsmackingly satisfying about it.

Unhappy scenario of many very young adolescents pregnant after drunkeness and feeling suicidal.

I wonder will we be seeing Government doing anything soon about alcohol consumption by teenagers?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

I hear Ivor Callely was doing his bit for young wans and alcohol when one of them ran the HMS Bullshyte up another yacht's flagpole in Baltimore Harbour that time.

Good man yerself, Ivor.

http://mail-on-sunday.vlex.co.uk/vid...imono-67126683
    Last edited by C. Flower; 08-01-2013 at 05:50 PM.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Unhappy scenario of many very young adolescents pregnant after drunkeness and feeling suicidal.

I wonder will we be seeing Government doing anything soon about alcohol consumption by teenagers?
    Lower the drinking age and change the culture, make weak beer and wine available and follow the continental model...
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    _Perhaps we could wait for t he inquest
    as in ..... "Death by misadventure."
    Last edited by riposte; 08-01-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Quote Originally Posted by riposte View Post
    as in ..... "Death by misadventure."
    No point in anticipating the results.

The coroner can make recommendations etc.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Will there be a file sent to the DPP? I love it when that happens as I get to give the horse an apple at the corner of Clanbrassil Street.

Will there be a file sent to the DPP? I love it when that happens as I get to give the horse an apple at the corner of Clanbrassil Street.
    Don't think so given the fact that in light of previous histories/decisions by useless govt (Fg/Lab) that we have now. Very rarely that it had been referred to the DPP unless directed by the court.

From what i heard from a mate of mine who had worked with him on shift rota, it's likely it would end up in European courts as they don't trust HSE (given past history, which had cleared Dr Neary in the first place before he was badly exposed).

Whatever the govt have in mind re inquiries, they wanted to chase their own tails not other tails nor any independent inquiry.

He is on leave until further notice as it's probably unlikely that he would return to shift work. From all accounts that i have heard so far that he was a nice bloke at work and a genuine guy.

Date for Savita Halappanavar inquest to be set on Friday.

Coroner has requested use of a Court room for a week in March.

Don't know where yet as Galway might not be big enough! Over 40 witnesses expected.

Coroner also to decide if a jury must be present.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast