Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Catalan Independence Process

Default Re: The Catalan Independence Process

Quote Originally Posted by Ogiol View Post
    so with over 97% counted really shocking results in the catalan election.

CiU 50 (-12)
    ERC 21 (+11)
    PSC 20 (-8)
    PP 19 (+1)
    ICV-EU 13 (+3)
    CIUTADANS 9 (+6)
    CUP 3 (+3)

All that means 2 things. There has been a big swing to the left, from CiU to ERC and ICV and pro independence parties remain very strong and have infact increased their seats by one.
    87 pro vote vs. 48 against.
    Terrible decision by Mas to call an election in the first place. The knives will be out very quickly.

It was unavoidable after the march on the 11th of september really. But he'll hang on and will push for a referendum. He has no choice now but to hope for a referendum and that that ''saves'' him and his legacy. Great result for ERC and the CUP too!

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    The right wing Ciutadans party has seen a big rise in support. Up to 9 seats from 3.
    They would claim to be centre-left both socially and economically.

The fact that they signed up for Ganleys pan European adventure would make one suspicious however.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    They would claim to be centre-left both socially and economically.

The fact that they signed up for Ganleys pan European adventure would make one suspicious however.
    Probably unfair of me to describe them as right wing. I can't really discern much ideology there apart from being opposed to Catalan nationalism

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    Probably unfair of me to describe them as right wing. I can't really discern much ideology there apart from being opposed to Catalan nationalism
    That and being extremely nationalistic themselves. (spanish of course, cause thats ok and the other isnt They also seem to be the home of lots of ex and current Falange members

Artur Mas will now have to change his name to Artur Menos!

Quote Originally Posted by Richardbouvet View Post
    Artur Mas will now have to change his name to Artur Menos!
    Ive heard that one all over the spanish press today. But it really should be Artur Menys

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Ogiol what way would it work with the business? Spanish friend of mine told me that they do 80% of their business with Spain and that if they do become indpenedent that Spain would impose tarriffs on them as they are not EU?
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    Ogiol what way would it work with the business? Spanish friend of mine told me that they do 80% of their business with Spain and that if they do become indpenedent that Spain would impose tarriffs on them as they are not EU?
    The CiU party is the business elite party and the equivalent of IBEC have come out in favour of independence. Obviously there is much disagreement within the business establishment though.

Your spanish friend, just like your venezuelan friends , seems a bit confused. The spanish nationalists boicotted Cava a decade or so back and since then the catalan business elite have persued a policy of diversification of exports. That figure would now be down to 50% or less certainly and much less when it comes to key strategic industries.

Reuters article

Anyway... I though id just give a wee update on this catalan independence process. Finally after lots of wrangling CiU and the leader of the opposition, ERC, have reached a tacit accord to form the next catalan government leading to a vote on independence.

ERC will not enter any ministries but have managed to wriggle out concessions on taxes for the rich, on inheritance, among other things. They have also agreed to hold a referendum on independence in 2014, but without having specified a date (most certainly it will be in september 2014 as thats when national feeling is most heightened for catalans).

So we will probably see 2 independence referendums in the autumn of 2014. Exciting times in europe and challenging times for the democratic credentials of spain.....

Article in the guardian

Recently, the spanish minister for education has proposed radical reforms to the current system. Naturally, they include huge ideological chunks. Suprisingly, there was a very good article in the International Hearld Tribune on the issue, which is only serving to strengthen catalan resolve on leaving.

This has been rumbling on since just after the latest catalan elections.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogiol View Post
    Recently, the spanish minister for education has proposed radical reforms to the current system. Naturally, they include huge ideological chunks. Suprisingly, there was a very good article in the International Hearld Tribune on the issue, which is only serving to strengthen catalan resolve on leaving.

This has been rumbling on since just after the latest catalan elections.
    Interesting. In a time of austerity they want to extend state funding to private religious (read Catholic) schools.

Other components of the proposal would reinforce the role of religion in schools, both by reinstating religion as an elective and by extending state funding to private religious schools. “The transfer of public money to private schools,” Joan Costa-I-Font, a senior lecturer in political economy at the London School of Economics, explained to me by email, “means shifting money to mostly Catholic schools that educate middle-class and affluent pupils, hence halting the main redistributive mechanisms designed to cut down social inequalities.”
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/01/28/...25_573309.html

Madrid wants to exercise its rights over the Catalan governent. This move is designed to dampen the process and show who is boss (of course Catalonia has rightly told them to shove their requests that they run everything by Madrid). Interesting of note that apart from the Basque country and Catalonia, Andalusia has an embassy and maintains contacts abroad also .
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

I really must go to Spain and Catalonia, perhaps Andalusia as well. I was in Paris and strolled past the Hollande activist headquarters near Les Halles in the run up to the last election and the hustle and bustle of it all and the energy made me quite nostalgic for the sense of a possibility of change- never mind how it usually deflates afterwards when pragmatism enters stage left- and it would be something to be in Catalonia around the time of a vote for Independence.

Visca Catalunya
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Just to let you all know about the latest. The new Catalan Parliament has aproved a declaration of soveriegnty.

It declares Catalonia, as a territorial entity, as soverign, thus giving catalans and only catalans the right to decide the future of their country.

Here's the declaration translated into english!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...UJXtJg.twitter

Juan Antonio Chicharro, a general in the marine reserve, warned that patriotic sentiment would take precedence over democratic rules in the face of a “separatist-secessionist offensive” by the northeastern region.

‘The fatherland’

“The fatherland is above and more important than democracy,” he said. “Patriotism is a feeling and the constitution is just a law.”
    groan

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast