Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Military.ie - Military Archives and Military Museums, the Curragh

Default Re: Military.ie - Military Archives and Military Museums, the Curragh

sorry to hear about that TA.

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    Found my grandfather, James Gilmartin, and his comrades in the 2nd Sligo Battallion, 3rd Western Division here, p.32. Shame my dad died a few weeks before this was published, he'd have been spent hours talking about all the men involved and the stories of their exploits back then. Weirdly, the list of names including my grandfather's name was written a week after my dad was born in March 1935!

One thing he did used to say when he was still alive was how bitter his father used to be about the fact that many men who did the actual fighting received no recognition, and no pension, while men who hid under their beds got everything. So I wonder how accurate the lists truly are in relation to who actually fought.
    I met an elderly woman a few years back who complained somewhat cynically that someone she knew had knocked over a tombstone (long story...) "and got the IRA pinsion for it"

First time I heard there was such a thing.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FIVE View Post
    sorry to hear about that TA.
    Thanks, we all miss him but he went perfectly and peacefully. He'd have been fascinated by all of this!
    Boycott Chiquita

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I met an elderly woman a few years back who complained somewhat cynically that someone she knew had knocked over a tombstone (long story...) "and got the IRA pinsion for it"

First time I heard there was such a thing.
    From what my grandfather said, I'd believe it! A lot of well-decorated truceleers too
    Boycott Chiquita

'truceleers'

IRA accounts, images, documents audio 1913 -1921.
    http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.i...Service%20Unit
    Happiness is an inside job.

Has anyone ever done any research in the Military archives? I have an inkling to look into who, if anyone, in my home area went out in 1916. I've attempted to dig into it online but I'm lost to be honest. Any pointers gratefully received.

Quote Originally Posted by Launchbury View Post
    Has anyone ever done any research in the Military archives? I have an inkling to look into who, if anyone, in my home area went out in 1916. I've attempted to dig into it online but I'm lost to be honest. Any pointers gratefully received.
    The trick to good research like this is in how to initiate and progress it. Ever decreasing circles, is key. Talk to people, go to different associations, pensioners, whoever. Figure out generally, what it is exactly, that interests you. What you learn leads you into more specific areas and more specific folks you need to meet.

By the time you go to look at the archives methinks you'll be in the position to better add to them than take from them.

Start talking to people. The process itself will take the initiative from there. People love to tell what they know. Tis a great way to meet people and learn at the same time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12