Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are women getting an unfair deal from the Irish Justice system?

Default Re: Are women getting an unfair deal from the Irish Justice system?

Very upsetting to hear this woman on the news tonight, in a state of disbelief at the sentencing. Her father refuses to apologise.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Maidir Le: Are women getting an unfair deal from the Irish Justice system?

It's a bewildering decision. He is guilty, the crime was at the worst level according to the judge, yet he is out on bail in spite of evidence from a hospital nurse that he could be treated in prison. An appaling outcome for the woman who sought justice

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Default Re: Maidir Le: Are women getting an unfair deal from the Irish Justice system?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    It's a bewildering decision. He is guilty, the crime was at the worst level according to the judge, yet he is out on bail in spite of evidence from a hospital nurse that he could be treated in prison. An appaling outcome for the woman who sought justice
    Its more evidence of the Irish justice system failing women again. Bizzare why a judge would say it was the worst level crime that could be committed yet give out a bizzare sentence.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

We now know the market price for a slap on the bottom, stalking and instilling fear.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...l-3361489.html
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Only just read about this. Dumbfounding. Do we have to threaten riots at the courts to get these misogynistic judges to administer real justice? Report from the IT this morning:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...329147843.html

You'd get a harsher sentence for failing to pay your television licence.

Quote Originally Posted by MediaBite View Post
    Only just read about this. Dumbfounding. Do we have to threaten riots at the courts to get these misogynistic judges to administer real justice? Report from the IT this morning:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...329147843.html

You'd get a harsher sentence for failing to pay your television licence.
    I think it is time to protest. Tens of thousands of people have protested in India about lack of action against rape.

Speaking outside the court, Ms Doyle said she could not believe what had happened.

“Last week I felt great. I was vindicated and I was told I was telling the truth. He admitted it. He pleaded guilty. For him to walk out of here today without serving one day is just devastating,” she said. She believed his health issues had been exaggerated “to a great level”.

“But I was more upset that the judge said he has been a good character,” she said.

In her victim impact statement, Ms Doyle said as a result of the abuse her first marriage failed and she twice attempted suicide. The first time she was abused her mother “went off to bingo . . . almost certainly knowing what he would do”.

Rape Crisis Network Ireland director Fiona Neary said anyone who cared about the sexual abuse of children would be very concerned at the sentencing.
    She was in bits after the verdict. She said on TV3 news that she had been called "your father's whore."

In the past I always felt sympathy for mothers in this situation, but this has made me think twice.

Perhaps she should take a civil case against both parents for damages.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I think it is time to protest. Tens of thousands of people have protested in India about lack of action against rape.

She was in bits after the verdict. She said on TV3 news that she had been called "your father's whore."

In the past I always felt sympathy for mothers in this situation, but this has made me think twice.

Perhaps she should take a civil case against both parents for damages.
    Emotional trauma and other such issues could be something that could form the basis of a case. Society will not be equal until women are treated as the better equals. Time and time again we have a male dominated establishment passing judgements on their own ilk and then creating legislation that denies women their basic rights, women like Savita. Women of Ireland if they do not speak out about it and show their disgust might as well be part of that vicious establishment that dominates them. Enough is enough.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

It seems there will be a protest tomorrow, in Bray, organised by the granddaughter of the convicted man.

I think that the days of these things being taken quietly are over.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

An apology!

Chris Donoghue ‏@chrisrdonoghue

BREAKING: Rapist Patrick O'Brien bail revoked. He's jailed immediately. Judge Paul Carney apologises to #FionaDoyle for distress he caused
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    An apology!
    Now if we can only get the other judges to be as undetstanding....

In some parts of Irish society there appears to be a deep misunderstanding about the effects physical, sexual and emotional assault have on a woman.

I don't know how its happened, perhaps its one of the legacies of RCC rule but its not just the judiciary at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by bernadette View Post
    In some parts of Irish society there appears to be a deep misunderstanding about the effects physical, sexual and emotional assault have on a woman.

I don't know how its happened, perhaps its one of the legacies of RCC rule but its not just the judiciary at fault.
    I imagine the judiciary are very wary of setting a precedence and punishing rape/sexual abuse correctly as the RCC and State run abuse homes are lurking in the background

Judges should be encouraged to ask themselves what punishment they would hand down if the victim was their wife/sister/daughter too. Not as lenient I would assume.

Quote Originally Posted by dcon View Post
    i imagine the judiciary are very wary of setting a precedence and punishing rape/sexual abuse correctly as the rcc and state run abuse homes are lurking in the background

judges should be encouraged to ask themselves what punishment they would hand down if the victim was their wife/sister/daughter too. Not as lenient i would assume.
    +100

2 years of a jail sentence suspended for admitting guilt

AN "EVIL" rapist who laughed at a woman as he violently assaulted her in her own bedroom has been jailed for seven years.
    Mr Justice Carney registered Dube as a sex offender and imposed a nine-year prison sentence with two years suspended because of his guilty plea and remorse.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-n...s-3371874.html

Justice Carney is no stranger to controversey..

http://www.alliancesupport.org/news/...es/001844.html

Judge Carney accused the Rape Crisis Centre (RCC) of using victim impact statements to campaign for a heavy sentence and described this as a "serious abuse of process". He dismissed the claim of the Director of the RCC that there is no such thing as a false sexual charge.He said that some alleged rape victims might be pressured into continuing with claims they were reluctant to pursue and that such pressure might come from "...prosecutors, rape crisis centres and victim support counsellors".

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast