Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barry McElduff’s new book: 'Keep ’Er Lit'

Default Re: Barry McElduff’s new book: 'Keep ’Er Lit'

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Sweet tap dancing Jesus. In posing these two questions as discrete possibilities only, you've explicitly (and I might speculate deliberately) excluded a third, and I believe much more likely answer, that it was a combination of the two questions, and that in turn suggests you really don't know much about traumatic stress triggers.........
    Holy Moses.... the blind man can't see the Norn Irony in it all.

Besides, in suggesting the second , allows you to conclude the third option. A kind of trigger mechanism if you like. It fired you for example..

Don't stress about it CB.
    Last edited by Trow; 09-01-2018 at 04:48 PM.
    Happiness is an inside job.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    The highlighted sentences seem in conflict with the rest of the post.......I would have thought you were going to say he should be kicked out.

Dumb as a box of rocks......Here's the deleted photo....since no one else seems interested in posting it.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/sinn-f-mp-...143344439.html

I hear ya and understand ya, but, kicking an elected MP ( the time to stop his rise was before it got momentum) out for doing something stupid isn't a recipe for harmony in the party. If there was written or verbal proof that he was being deliberately malicious and provocative over this incident then they could kick him out no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    I hear ya and understand ya, but, kicking an elected MP ( the time to stop his rise was before it got momentum) out for doing something stupid isn't a recipe for harmony in the party. If there was written or verbal proof that he was being deliberately malicious and provocative over this incident then they could kick him out no problem.
    A tough choice. Could be as sound a fella as you'd meet but if you want to be a serious party with some level of standards the likes of him should be weeded out before they get near an election nomination.

The thing is there is always going to be some loodermaun in every party but they need to be sidelined fairly lively.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    A tough choice. Could be as sound a fella as you'd meet but if you want to be a serious party with some level of standards the likes of him should be weeded out before they get near an election nomination.

The thing is there is always going to be some loodermaun in every party but they need to be sidelined fairly lively.
    I should have used a better expression than harmony in the party. What I was thinking of with SF was that if they kicked McElduff out without much in the way of evidence then they'd have set a precedent and their political enemies would be insisting that any SFer with a history would be fair game. It's a tricky one for SF, this way they've marked McElduff's card and if he creates trouble again they can sideline him permanently without having created a one strike and you're out policy.

They're already having a torrid time in some constituencies trying to referee constituency spats, they've got to avoid painting themselves into corners.

Ex IRA prisoner speaks out about the Barry Mc Elduff incident....

Quote.. "To put it in perspective, I can't hear the name Kingsmill bread mentioned without immediately flashing back to what happened. So how could he miss that?" unquote.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-42635087 That old trigger mechanism i spoke of earlier.

I think he's right. Someone needs to stand up. It was a war crime that stooped to the basist atrocities of loyalism. There's a context to what happened but it doesn't excuse it.

Sectarianism is a disease that spreads far and wide. It breeds more sectarianism. You need only read the wikipedia link on Kingsmill to find how the incident spawned future Loyalist sectarian thugs like Billy Wright. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsmill_massacre

Some say that after Kingsmill, sectarian attacks on Nationalists lulled in the area. Perhaps, but in the years to come the UVF and LVF under the command of Wright engaged in sectarian murder attacks, so fair to say that actions of today can have effect long into our tomorrows.

Kingsmill sickened everyone Nationalist/Republican and all others. To gloat at or engage in such a thing renders you a fool everyday.

Barry Mc Elduff resigns as MP..
    http://www.itv.com/news/utv/2018-01-...ngsmill-tweet/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-42688698

Quote. However the sole survivor of the attack, Alan Black, has welcomed the resignation.

Speaking to the Press Association Mr Black said: "This past week has been truly awful for me. I am just hanging by a thread."

"But I am glad he has done the right thing."

Mr Black said the fall-out from the Twitter video forced him to re-live the trauma of the attack in which he was shot 18 times.

He added: "I am going to have to take time now to heal."

"I only got involved because of the hurt and disrespect shown to my friends who died at Kingsmill, but this whole thing has taken a heavy toll." unquote.

Fair play to both men.... Alan Black and Barry Mc Elduff.

Quote Barry...I again offer my profound apology to those families and to the wider victims community.

– BARRY MCELDUFF
    He said: "Had I been conscious of the connection to the terrible atrocity at Kingsmill, I would certainly not have posted that tweet. I genuinely did not make that connection, not for a second did I make that connection in my mind."

"Kingsmill was wrong, unjustifiable and sectarian. It should never have happened." unquote..
    Last edited by Trow; 15-01-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Hopefully a valuable lesson in political etiquette.

Eoin O Broin had a good article in the Sunday Business Post at the weekend on this and the wider picture about the lack of movement on legacy issues

Sectarianism in the North did'nt begin or end at Kingsmill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12