Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barry McElduff’s new book: 'Keep ’Er Lit'

Default Barry McElduff’s new book: 'Keep ’Er Lit'

Barry (a former columnist with An Phoblacht) has produced a handy tome of 92 short stories and anecdotes garnered from his experiences of republicanism, GAA and community activism and titled Keep ’Er Lit.

In his introduction to Wee Barry’s wee book, Tyrone GAA All-Ireland winner Peter Canavan says:

“Me and Barry went in two different directions: I wanted desperately to win an All-Ireland and Barry wanted desperately to free it.”
    http://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/22449

Anyone gonna give it a read?

I say there'll be a laugh or two in it.

Default Re: Barry McElduff’s new book: 'Keep ’Er Lit'

Ever noticed?

In fact, there may be copyright issues with that cover;

http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    The Lawnmower is merciless.

Have you read the book ? Would you recommend it ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

No I haven't read it yet, he tells a good story though;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe5Nk8qa11o"]SF Ard Fheis 2011 Gerrys warm up man - YouTube[/ame]

McElduff is under pressure after posting an ill-advised video on Facebook showing him balancing a loaf of Kingsmill branded bread on his head on the anniversary of the massacre of the same name. This event consisted of republican militants (unconfirmed of it was the Provos) stopping a bus of textile workers, singling out the protestants and shooting them. (this occurred in the context of a number of catholics being murdered in the preceding days by loyalists)

Sure is in for a roasting....

Quote..Speaking on radio, Mr Kearney said: “What has happened is absolutely inexcusable and indefensible and the party is taking this matter very seriously indeed.”

He added that Sinn Féin wished to express “deep and sincere regret”.

“The reality is huge offence has been caused and I and Sinn Féin strongly disapprove of what has happened.”

Barry McElduff has been summoned to a crunch meeting with the Sinn Féin leadership in Northern Ireland on Monday. unquote. http://www.itv.com/news/utv/2018-01-...-indefensible/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-42598314
    Happiness is an inside job.

Barry has been suspended from all party political activity for three months.

Is this fellow a bit light in the head?

Hard to believe such a person is an MP. I doubt if three months' suspension will be considered sufficient.
    "If you go far enough to either extreme of the political spectrum, Communist or fascist, you'll find hard-eyed men with guns who believe that anybody who doesn't think as they do should be incarcerated or exterminated. " - Jim Garrison, Former DA, New Orleans.

He seems like a Willie O'Dea type character

Just watching and listening to a news report on the incident yesterday i noticed a number of things. Firstly, a certain reporter of renown for stirring up ****. My heart goes out to the sole survivor of the horrific attack that fateful day in Kingsmill. My observations of him on camera tell me he suffers post traumatic stress disorder. I doubt though if he seen the tweet in the first place or any other of the relatives.

Obviously copied before Barry Md Elduff removed it, it was then spun about by that ''certain reporter'' in an attempt to sensationalise the issue.

In knowing the trigger mechanisms of post traumatic stress disorder i need to ask....Was it the loaf of kingsmill bread alone that sparked outrage or just the fact that it was on a shinners head?

The community hall were relatives met to voice their outrage in the company of Willie Fraser is plastered in murals of the kingsmill atrocity so they in effect also act as trigger mechanisms for trauma recall.

I think it irresponsible of that ''certain reporter'' to add to the suffering or to whip up and sensationalise the matter for a cheap political dig at Sinn Fein. She's renowned for that as i say.

Given the trigger mechanism's i mention....how Arlene Foster or Willie Frazer can ever look at a Kingsmill loaf again without thinking......''Barry Mc Elduff'' is a pain they'll have to live with all their days.
    Last edited by Trow; 09-01-2018 at 03:59 PM.

It was an incredibly stupid thing to do, if he was being deliberately nasty it was still a very stupid thing to do because it was bound to backfire on him. They probably got the balance right in giving him a 3 month ban because he has a history of being an attention seeking moron. The kind that'd win the village idiot award three year's running.

Parties should weed out these embarrassments at an early stage rather than using these yahoos to garner a vote from the yahoo segment of the electorate.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    It was an incredibly stupid thing to do, if he was being deliberately nasty it was still a very stupid thing to do because it was bound to backfire on him. They probably got the balance right in giving him a 3 month ban because he has a history of being an attention seeking moron. The kind that'd win the village idiot award three year's running.

Parties should weed out these embarrassments at an early stage rather than using these yahoos to garner a vote from the yahoo segment of the electorate.
    Yeah, fair comment... He in this instance steals the crown from Willie Fraer.

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    Just watching and listening to a news report on the incident yesterday i noticed a number of things. Firstly, a certain reporter of renown for stirring up ****. My heart goes out to the sole survivor of the horrific attack that fateful day in Kingsmill. My observations of him on camera tell me he suffers post traumatic stress disorder. I doubt though if he seen the tweet in the first place or any other of the relatives.

Obviously copied before Barry Md Elduff removed it, it was then spun about by that ''certain reporter'' in an attempt to sensationalise the issue.

In knowing the trigger mechanisms of post traumatic stress disorder i need to ask....Was it the loaf of kingsmill bread alone that sparked outrage or just the fact that it was on a shinners head?

The community hall were relatives met to voice their outrage in the company of Willie Fraser is plastered in murals of the kingsmill atrocity so they in effect also act as trigger mechanisms for trauma recall.

I think it irresponsible of that ''certain reporter'' to add to the suffering or to whip up and sensationalise the matter for a cheap political dig at Sinn Fein. She's renowned for that as i say.

Given the trigger mechanism's i mention....how Arlene Foster or Willie Frazer can ever look at a Kingsmill loaf again without thinking......''Barry Mc Elduff'' is a pain they'll have to live with all their days.

Sweet tap dancing Jesus. In posing these two questions as discrete possibilities only, you've explicitly (and I might speculate deliberately) excluded a third, and I believe much more likely answer, that it was a combination of the two questions, and that in turn suggests you really don't know much about traumatic stress triggers.........
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post

The highlighted sentences seem in conflict with the rest of the post.......I would have thought you were going to say he should be kicked out.

Dumb as a box of rocks......Here's the deleted photo....since no one else seems interested in posting it.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/sinn-f-mp-...143344439.html

As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast