Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 149

Thread: Garda ombudsman preparing report on 'drug case collusion'-Updates: Report sent to DPP :GSOC, Kieran Boylan, Heroin + Gardaí

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    20,840

    Default Garda ombudsman preparing report on 'drug case collusion'-Updates: Report sent to DPP :GSOC, Kieran Boylan, Heroin + Gardaí

    Interesting story by John Mooney in the Sunday Times today.
    The subject is an investigation by the Garda Siochana Ombudsmans Commission into possible miscarriages of justice which led to several unsafe convictions.
    One of the convictions is that of Andrew Kearns, from Crumlin, who allegedly was under pressure to pay off a drug debt in March 2005.
    According to the ST he agreed to pick up a consignment of four kilos of cocaine in Ardee and drive it to Dublin.
    His contact in Ardee was Kieran Boylan who at the time was being investigated by several police forces across Europe for drug trafficking.
    Kearns was stopped and arrested in Tallaght with the cocaine consignment and later sentenced to 10 years in jail.
    Unknown to Kearns, Boylan was involved in a relationship with Gardai who are now the focus of a collusion investigation by the Gsoc. In return for a blind eye being turned to his criminal activities it is alleged that Boylan agreed to set up rival and petty criminals for arrest
    The Gsoc launched a public interest inquiry into Boylan in 2008 after the ST revealed that he had escaped prosecution despite being caught with heroin and cocaine worth 1.7 million in Ardee by the Garda national drugs unit (GNDU) in October 2005.
    At the time he was on bail for an earlier 1 million euro drugs haul.
    In custody, Boylan alluded to his involvement in entrapment operations and threatened to reveal all if charged.
    The charges connected to the GDNU haul were dropped, then reinstated, but dropped again in 2008.
    Boylan obtained an international haulage license from the Dept of Transport after Gardai provided misleading information to officials which suggested that he had no previous convictions.
    It seems that it has taken the Gsoc almost four years to complete its report and its work has been obstructed by Garda management
    Martin Callinan has also made representations to the DPP on the case which may yet be called into question. He has taken no action against officers
    No online link as the ST is behind a paywall.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 13-02-2014 at 08:12 AM. Reason: typos

  2. #2
    People Korps Guest

    Default Re: Garda ombudsman preparing report on 'drug case collusion'

    Well well well no surprise here as it is the easiest rouse in the book to set up mules for large amounts of drugs after being busted as part of "co-operation" deals with the Gardai. The Gardai know that the busts are bogus but enjoy the extra cudos that the busts give their internal records. there are hundreds if not thousands of examples of this type of "policing" in Ireland. The GNDU is a bastion of such malpractice and worse. the entire unit should be investigated and all its members scrutinized in my humble opinion. Since the 1980s all Garda branches dedicated to drugs have had easy pickings and had no effect whatsoever on lessening illicit drug supply in Ireland. Some would argue they have had quite the opposite effect. Why you might ask If we had a decent press corps in Ireland instead of spoon fed hacks like Paul Williams you might know why. The same people who feed Williams feed ?????? nuff said

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    68,262

    Default Re: Garda ombudsman preparing report on 'drug case collusion'

    All about Garda promotions, or more ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    15,392

    Default Re: Garda ombudsman preparing report on 'drug case collusion'

    Was it Kieran or Ciaran?


    I am reluctant to name persons outside the House but will do so in this case. Mr. Kieran Boylan has a string of convictions for drug trafficking and drug possession. Nevertheless, an international haulage licence was issued to him last September. Moreover, a passport has been issued to him in Irish by the Department of Foreign Affairs. Under the relevant legislation, there is a facility for the issuing of a passport in a name that is in a language other than the language in which it appears on the applicant’s birth certificate. To my mind, however, the usage of Irish in this case has only one purpose — to avoid detection. After all, this is a wanted man, sought by Dutch police among others. Does he also happen to be a Gaelgóir of note? Is he an avid user of the Irish language or a native Irish speaker?

    In recent times, we have become aware of the case of Mr. Ciaran Boylan, which I raised in this House and outside it. I understand the Leas-Cheann Comhairle raised it in 2006 and 2007. It is going on for as long as that. It demonstrates the manner in which a law enforcement [547]agency can go astray in its fight against crime and drag the component parts of the criminal justice system into a very unsavoury situation. The improper use of Mr. Boylan, a notorious drug dealer, by members of the Garda in their law enforcement capacity and activities, has embroiled the Director of Public Prosecutions, the courts, the Garda Síochána, the Garda Ombudsman Commission and even the Department of Transport.

    If correct procedures were followed and the law was strictly observed, a convicted drug dealer would now not be in possession of an international haulage licence, which he is, and which facilitates the drug importation and possession of which he has already been convicted. Neither would he be free to walk the streets but would instead be serving a minimum sentence of ten years. It is very easy for the proper procedures to be breached, unless the regulations are very tight, even though the best intentions are laid down in law. The result is that the entire criminal justice system comes into disrepute.
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/20...0/printall.asp
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

  5. #5
    People Korps Guest

    Default Re: Garda ombudsman preparing report on 'drug case collusion'

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    All about Garda promotions, or more ?
    From my own direct (yet indirect as I was not involved with drug dealing) contacts with GNDU I would say they were a bunch of cowboys. I took over an apartment that had been lived in by a drug dealer who I knew as he had been in legitimate business with a family member years before and met some of the Garda lads all hot and bothered at my front door a few times. Their behaviour and barging in was illegal and bordered on desperation....I learned some things afterwards from third parties that would give the average law abiding citizen or honest Garda pause for thought about that elite unit. In my humble opinion I would find them little differentiated in any way from their alleged quarry.
    How does oversight on GNDU work? They are a law unto themselves in an area of law enforcement where vast amounts of cash and drugs flow under the radar of anyone else but them and their quarry. They can leverage media hype and do whatever they please. Nuff said it does not take a rocket scientist to work out how to police the police....we have the CAB they should be able to sort it out? If anyone who worked for GNDU for the past decades were routinely screened by CAB then the public might sleep better at night .

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Omnipresent
    Posts
    1,906

    Default Re: Garda ombudsman preparing report on 'drug case collusion'

    Quote Originally Posted by People Korps View Post
    From my own direct (yet indirect as I was not involved with drug dealing) contacts with GNDU I would say they were a bunch of cowboys. I took over an apartment that had been lived in by a drug dealer who I knew as he had been in legitimate business with a family member years before and met some of the Garda lads all hot and bothered at my front door a few times. Their behaviour and barging in was illegal and bordered on desperation....I learned some things afterwards from third parties that would give the average law abiding citizen or honest Garda pause for thought about that elite unit. In my humble opinion I would find them little differentiated in any way from their alleged quarry.
    How does oversight on GNDU work? They are a law unto themselves in an area of law enforcement where vast amounts of cash and drugs flow under the radar of anyone else but them and their quarry. They can leverage media hype and do whatever they please. Nuff said it does not take a rocket scientist to work out how to police the police....we have the CAB they should be able to sort it out? If anyone who worked for GNDU for the past decades were routinely screened by CAB then the public might sleep better at night .
    Spot on!

    And not only the GNDU either. A couple of years ago and much to the consternation of some of our elite forces in Harcourt Terrace, I and another chap went there to serve a summons on a garda, to be a witness for the chap I was with, in a criminal prosecution against him (the chap eventually ended up being vindicated). Two detectives appeared on the scene, one of them presumed to question us and the female officer, who was arranging for the garda we were looking for to come in and take possession of his paperwork. I told him to mind his own business. He ordered the female garda not to help us. But it was too late, the garda we wanted was already on his way. Anyhow, the detective started shouting at me and demanded that I leave. I told him to go make love with himself and offered to help him with his issue, by suggesting that I'd have him up in front of a judge for trying to frustrate a court case. He completely lost the plot and threatened violence against me. I suggested to him that he'd most likely need the help of his partner and that even with it I'd have to be surgically removed from him. At this point he made it clear to me that he was armed, by displaying his holstered weapon. His partner whispered to him and he suddenly turned white. He asked me was I recording our little interaction and told me that it was an offence to do so in a garda station. I pointed out to him that I didn't want to talk to him any more and that he should go bother someone who might be intimidated by him. He took a step towards me but his partner literally dragged him out of the area and out of the station.

    That's a typical interaction with these scum.

    Another thing that should be looked into is what criteria does the force look for in an officer to be made into a detective. There's a little can of worms waiting to be opened, if ever there was one.
    Last edited by Seán Ryan; 12-11-2012 at 12:01 AM.

  7. #7
    People Korps Guest

    Default Re: Garda ombudsman preparing report on 'drug case collusion'

    Quote Originally Posted by Seán Ryan View Post
    Spot on!

    And not only the GNDU either. A couple of years ago and much to the consternation of some of our elite forces in Harcourt Terrace, I and another chap went there to serve a summons on a garda, to be a witness for the chap I was with, in a criminal prosecution against him (the chap eventually ended up being vindicated). Two detectives appeared on the scene, one of them presumed to question us and the female officer, who was arranging for the garda we were looking for to come in and take possession of his paperwork. I told him to mind his own business. He ordered the female garda not to help us. But it was too late, the garda we wanted was already on his way. Anyhow, the detective started shouting at me and demanded that I leave. I told him to go make love with himself and offered to help him with his issue, by suggesting that I'd have him up in front of a judge for trying to frustrate a court case. He completely lost the plot and threatened violence against me. I suggested to him that he'd most likely need the help of his partner and that even with it I'd have to be surgically removed from him. At this point he made it clear to me that he was armed, by displaying his holstered weapon. His partner whispered to him and he suddenly turned white. He asked me was I recording our little interaction and told me that it was an offence to do so in a garda station. I pointed out to him that I didn't want to talk to him any more and that he should go bother someone who might be intimidated by him. He took a step towards me but his partner literally dragged him out of the area and out of the station.

    That's a typical interaction with these scum.

    Another thing that should be looked into is what criteria does the force look for in an officer to be made into a detective. There's a little can of worms waiting to be opened, if ever there was one.
    Sounds like a positive experience of our civil protection force in action protecting and serving. Mind you they were small fry though armed compared to the GNDU and their minions in the various drug squads and organised crime units attached to district forces .

  8. #8
    People Korps Guest

    Default Re: Garda ombudsman preparing report on 'drug case collusion'

    The collusion of the GPO (Garda Press office) and the GNDU is of note also. When you consider the fact that Paul Williams is a Garda asset then you have to see the collusion between the most rouge of units and the highest echelons of the Garda organisation. IF ONE WERE TO CRUMBLE WHO KNOWS WHOSE HEAD WOULD ROLL.
    unfortunately no one has successfully sued Williams yet but the off record briefings are surely unethical if not worse? How many lives has Williams cost at GNDU behest? These cops have a power unchecked by the Oireachtas or anyone else given that their media lackies (assets) serve their enemies (unwilling clients) up for the lead injection on a regular basis.
    Last edited by People Korps; 12-11-2012 at 12:16 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Omnipresent
    Posts
    1,906

    Default Re: Garda ombudsman preparing report on 'drug case collusion'

    Quote Originally Posted by People Korps View Post
    Sounds like a positive experience of our civil protection force in action protecting and serving. Mind you they were small fry though armed compared to the GNDU and their minions in the various drug squads and organised crime units attached to district forces .
    True enough. Though it's the small cogs that keep the wheels turning...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Boycotting Chiquita's slavery bananas
    Posts
    1,386

    Default Re: Garda ombudsman preparing report on 'drug case collusion'

    Thanks for starting the thread, Paddy Joe! I have my own Boylan thred running for four and a half years on the other site, which I keep bumping periodically (though I am amazed by the lack of interest in the topic from the mainstream media generally, and other posters on the site!). The case stinks for several reasons, not least because the Ombudsman originally refused to investigate, and has now taken over four and a half years to do so.
    Boycott Chiquita

  11. #11
    People Korps Guest

    Default Re: Garda ombudsman preparing report on 'drug case collusion'

    Quote Originally Posted by Seán Ryan View Post
    True enough. Though it's the small cogs that keep the wheels turning...
    My own experience of Harcourt Tce was years ago and they took me off the street as a child to stand in a set up, line up of a tiny guy who was bald and in his 40s whilst I was hairy , 17 and 6ft . I was not given a choice. My other is of of a cop there who owns about 40 properties in Ranelagh and scams the HSE and his tenants re rent allowance. he still serves as does his GF , they both drive new mercs , she is also on the force
    and yes I know his name

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Omnipresent
    Posts
    1,906

    Default Re: Garda ombudsman preparing report on 'drug case collusion'

    Quote Originally Posted by People Korps View Post
    My own experience of Harcourt Tce was years ago and they took me off the street as a child to stand in a set up, line up of a tiny guy who was bald and in his 40s whilst I was hairy , 17 and 6ft . I was not given a choice. My other is of of a cop there who owns about 40 properties in Ranelagh and scams the HSE and his tenants re rent allowance. he still serves as does his GF , they both drive new mercs , she is also on the force
    and yes I know his name
    It always pays to collect names.

    Harcourt was the epicentre of garda intelligence (the ultimate in oxymorons, I know). You get the odd mucker there who also ends up being seconded to the Public Order Unit in Pearse Street. And if they're especially good little muckers, they end up being promoted to detective. Interesting that...
    Last edited by Seán Ryan; 12-11-2012 at 12:34 AM.

  13. #13
    People Korps Guest

    Default Re: Garda ombudsman preparing report on 'drug case collusion'

    Quote Originally Posted by Seán Ryan View Post
    It always pays to collect names.

    Harcourt was the epicentre of garda intelligence (the ultimate in oxymorons, I know). You get the odd mucker there who also ends up being seconded to the Public Order Unit on Pearse Street. And if they're especially good little muckers, they end up being promoted to detective. Interesting that...
    When I first moved to Dublin I was harassed by them and a special crimes unit from Harcourt Street. It is amusing to think back on it but as a child it was sinister. However they gave me enough experiences of their ways to be able to make a judgement call that I will or would stand over in court regarding the GNDU. I can identify at least two officers that I would seek to have investigated by CAB and an independent body should the need arise................as to the GNDU I have said it before but it should be disbanded forthwith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I imagine the Dublin murder rate would drop rapidly were that to happen. CAB them all

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Omnipresent
    Posts
    1,906

    Default Re: Garda ombudsman preparing report on 'drug case collusion'

    Another area that should be looked at is the PULSE system and the way information is entered and stored on it. Having seen the odd file or two on the odd person or two, I can tell that every piece of paranoid suspicion (a lot of it pure speculation) stays on that file, regardless as to whether said alleged suspicion ever ends up being part of a failed criminal prosecution or not. Then, should some other party have need of said information, like an insurance company, all they need to do is pay Officer Friendly a doughnut or two, and said information, along with the record of any convictions, is theirs for the taking. Handy little service. Handy little earner.

  15. #15
    People Korps Guest

    Default Re: Garda ombudsman preparing report on 'drug case collusion'

    Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    Thanks for starting the thread, Paddy Joe! I have my own Boylan thred running for four and a half years on the other site, which I keep bumping periodically (though I am amazed by the lack of interest in the topic from the mainstream media generally, and other posters on the site!). The case stinks for several reasons, not least because the Ombudsman originally refused to investigate, and has now taken over four and a half years to do so.
    I remember the thread though dont visit that zone anymore. This seems to be long long fingered

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us