Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Sub-Forum - The Irish Oligarchy

Default Re: New Sub-Forum - The Irish Oligarchy

I've just gathered several threads on Denis O'Brien into this subforum, to make reference easy, and have left redirects in the original forum locations, so that they can still be found via that route.

I see there is an Independent "Top 300 wealthiest Irish persons" list today.

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...-31046118.html

I've no idea how reliable it is but it is still of interest.

I agree with Sam Lord's definition of an oligarch of not only being very wealthy but also exerting influence on politicians, or aspiring to become a politician.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Johnny's back..doing deals with the CIE and Wilbur Ross

Former Treasury boss Johnny Ronan has teamed up with the Wilbur Ross-backed Cardinal Capital to develop Dublin's tallest building at Tara Street train station.

The €130m office tower will be 22 stories tall, which will make it larger than Google's Montevetro building - also built by Ronan.

http://m.independent.ie/business/com...-31386840.html
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

I officially give up

A special Government fund to provide loans to large developersis being proposed to help clear a logjam in the supply of much-needed family homes.

The Coalition is being asked to consider the new Strategic Infrastructure Fund which would be targeted at developments with more than 1,500 units.

Developers would be able to avail of loans at "competitive rates" under the plan, designed to boost cashflow into the construction sector and speed up building work.
    It is among a range of options in a paper, seen by the Irish Independent, put together following a meeting of groups including Nama, the Construction Industry Federation, the Department of Environment and Dublin local authorities

http://m.independent.ie/business/per...-31388672.html
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Unfortunately, given the housing shortage, I'm inclined to think this is necessary. Especially if some of it is social housing.
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves "

Quote Originally Posted by morticia View Post
    Unfortunately, given the housing shortage, I'm inclined to think this is necessary. Especially if some of it is social housing.
    Why do we need government funded big developers to build houses??

It's not rocket science

So they are using the remnants of the NPRF for this

With the NPRF providing a line if credit to Irish Water it has basically become a politucuan controlled bank. Which was never the intention

The sovereign investment fund, which uses money formerly held in the National Pensions Reserve Fund, has a mandate to invest on a commercial basis to support economic activity and employment within the State.

This new initiative would provide private housing developers with loans for up to 90 per cent of their total financing requirement.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/e...lion-1.2296580

Ronan

Johnny Ronan slams ‘stupid’ planning rules in letter to Coveney

Developer tells Housing Minister restrictions are "stupid"

High-profile property developer Johnny Ronan has told Minister for Housing Simon Coveney that rules which would prevent him building high-rise apartments in the Dublin docklands are “stupid”.
    https://www.businesspost.ie/politics...coveney-374245

Cannot quite understand what "oligarch" means in the context of housing development. In my definition they got their money by NOT giving a sh1 t about those actually needing houses.

Fintan has a right go at O'B, IMO, he is quite right, he argues that O'B wants to, and does,control what is said about him and his outlets don't have editorial independence.

O'Brien is a dangerous piece of wrk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12